Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ma & Pa Kettle

mikegee

as I was growing up i use to watch the Ma & Pa Kettle sreies of movies. I sure would like to see them again. TCM did show one a while back but of course i had to work that day. I was the one complaining about showing the saame movies over and over again. guess I shouldn't have said anything, lol. it would be nice to have a Ma & Pa Kettle weekend or like they did with Bomba. we shall wait and see if I can get lucky and they will show them.If they can!!! I do see they have them for sale, wish I could afford them.

• 2 weeks later...

i just remembered Ma & Pa Kettle (and family of 9 i think) were in a movie with Fred McMurry and i think June Alyson. fred bought a farm and was raising chickens for thier eggs. i can't remember the name of the movie or even the approx. date of it. i do think it was before they had thier own series. i could be wrong. i hope i'm not.

The Egg and I was a famous book about a lady and her husband who left life in some big city and started a rural chicken farm. It was made into a movie in 1947, which I saw in a theater as a kid.

Ma and Pa Kettle were two characters in the film. They were so popular to audiences, they started their own film series. TCM aired several of their films two or three years ago.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039349/

i just remembered Ma & Pa Kettle (and family of 9 i think) were in a movie with Fred McMurry and i think June Alyson. fred bought a farm and was raising chickens for thier eggs. i can't remember the name of the movie or even the approx. date of it. i do think it was before they had thier own series. i could be wrong. i hope i'm not.

Mikegee, this movie, THE EGG AND I, starred Claudette Colbert with Fred, and was so successful, olbert made he Top Ten draws for that year, afte being out of them since about 10 years previously

I thought one of the strangest parts was they count of the kids, it kept changing. 14 is the number I remember.

I don't know where the hillbilly connection came in either. The EGG AND I is set in rural Washington state. Anyone who's been outside of town - anywhere - will see Kettles.. the family is not region-based.

To Casablancalover: I guess this is where the "dumb 'em down, it's funnier" syndrome that's so prevelant in sit-com TV shows comes from. The powers that be just thought they'd be funnier dumb. Look what they did to Edith Bunker.. They made her so stupid she forgot to breathe and died. The "early" Edith was a far sterner/sainer character. Just like the Kettles in Egg and I.

• 4 weeks later...

i would love TCM to have a Ma an pa Kettle block on a weekend . i havent seen them in awhile ...an [Marjorie Main|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjorie_Main|Marjorie Main] and [Percy Kilbride|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Kilbride|Percy Kilbride] were at there funniest .i love the simplicity of this humors family an i never laugh like i do when i watch them i can hear Ma now say "Come an get it"