Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cooper, jeane

Your Favorite Movie Abodes

Guest son, jery

You all are missing such a hot treat over here on the Amazon with the body beautiful, Tarzan! We got rid of Jane, so it's just he and I and those Nubian warriors and of course it's just too hot to wear much of anything. Cheetah is getting on my nerves. Our abode does lack a few amenities, like indoor plumbing and a kitchen. But with Tarzan close-by, who gives a flying cheetah?

Guest mongo

jery son it sounds like you were hitting the coconut juice again. OK...who was Tarzan this time? Was it Buster, Johnny, Lex or Herman (Bruce)? And poor Jane. It seems everytime you come swinging in on a vine she has to take a powder. Oh...watch out for Cheetah cause sometimes she is known to bite.

Guest son, jery

Mongo, in my jungle hideaway, I've got all four of the Tarzans: Weismuller, Crabbe, Brix and Gordon Scott! Who would ever want to leave this sultry tree house with these four Apollos hanging around. Yep, I threw Cheetah out with the dishwater. He just wouldn't stop that "eeeeee...eeeeee!"

Guest Dentata, Gina

Walter Pidgeon's house in Forbidden Planet is my kinda Space-Age Bachelor(ette) Pad!

Guest oldie, love an

I like the homeliness of Barbara Stanwich's "phony" home in "Christmas in Conneticut". For glamor or glamour I would take the home of Lama Turner in the remake of "Imitation of Life" after she became rich or any hotel suite in a red stair/Ginger Roger's film.

Guest finnie12, moira

The house that Fay Bainter and her daughters live in for "Daughters Courageous" is on a lake. It comes with window seats, dutch doors, and Warner Bros. ying and yang team of that period: Claude Rains and John Garfield, who are very appealing in their scenes together...I wouldn't mind boarding there...

Guest L., Lori

Am I the only one that totally loves Cary Grant's grandmother's private corner of the world in "An Affair to Remember"?

Guest son, jery

I'd be one happy person if I could just live for a day in Deanna Durbin's cozy All-American house in "Nice Girl?" Made in l941,Deanna's house is filled with big windows and billowing curtains from summer breezes (there weren't any screens anywhere so they must not have had flies or mosquitoes). Her den has a big fireplace, over-stuffed furniture, the kitchen is big and warm and everything is so clean and warm and down-to-earth. But Deanna doesn't even seem to notice. She's too busy chasing after the gorgeous Robert Stack and strange-looking Franchot Tone.

Guest Watroba, Katlyn

I really liked Nicky's Grandma's home in "An Affair to Remember".

Guest Kilduff, John

Demi Moore's pad in "St. Elmo's Fire" was quite an interesting piece of work...candles, artwork, was that a portrait of Billy Idol? Al Pacino's mansion built on cocaine in "Scarface". As if bagging Michelle Pfeiffer wasn't good enough, he had a mansion with statues, a neon sign and even tigers. Which brings me to Sir John Mills' home in Madonna's "Bringing Up Baby" homage "Who's That Girl?". A nice mansion inside, but the roof is where it's really jumping...it's a literal zoo. It's a jungle habitat (in good old NYC, no less), and it has great design. Speaking of Griffin Dunne movies, scope out Linda Fiorentino's artist loft in "After Hours". Unique examples of 80s art in a pad filled with rooms...I'd like to live here, if only for the privilege of living and maybe loving with two of the loveliest actresses of the 80s...Linda Fiorentino and Rosanna Arquette. Uptown, downtown, where to next? To the home of the perpetually pixilated man who does as he pleases. I speak of "Arthur" and his home...a basketball court in his bedroom, toy trains everywhere and radios all over so you can give your butler Hobson a ring. Let's hop coasts and go to California... The decadence of the homes in "Less Than Zero" is amazing to behold, especially when the booze flows freely and a bank of TVs is displaying images of Marilyn Monroe. Geena Davis has a nice home in "Earth Girls Are Easy". Very normal and non-descript, why'd I choose it? Geena Davis in a pink bikini, that's why. If she came with the house, I would love it. Danny DeVito's house in "Ruthless People" is a great example of 80s nouveau richeness on a massive scale. Nice place to live. Finally, in my tour of memorable 80s Movie Abodes, we stop at the ultimate house in an undefined place...it belongs to one Mr. Pee-Wee Herman. He's off on a big adventure right now, so I'll step inside. I now have access to a room with a firepole so I can slide down to get my breakfast...I have all sorts of knickknacks and doodads at my beck and call, and I have a nice meal of pancakes and bacon on my plate, and I didn't even have to cook. Eh, I'll settle for the Mr. T cereal instead. With that, I bid you thanks for coming along on my tour of memorable 80s Movie Abodes. Good luck, and remember, "There's no place like home...the movies just have it better than we do!" Sincerely, John Kilduff

Guest Zooty

I truly adored Ingrid Bergman's apartment in INDISCREET. Euro chic!!!

Guest son, jery

I always wanted to see more of Marion Crane's (Janet Leigh)home in "Psycho." We're offered just a tantalizing glimpse of her bedroom as she packs her suitcase with the $70,000 in it. It's a cozy, homey little chamber because it's like the one's I knew when growing up in the deep South back in the 50s. When I freeze-frame this segment, I like studying the framed pictures on the wall, the branches of a bush trembling in the breeze outside the window, the chair beside the window, and wonder more about the character of Marion Crane. I noticed that in her closet, there're hatboxes and only a few coat hangers with clothes on them. That might suggest she didn't have much money and so the $70,000 looked pretty good to her. Leigh's wardrobe, by the way, was brought off the rack in a Hollywood store. Alfred Hitchcock didn't have enough money to pay for a HOllywood wardrobe and then he felt like Leigh that the Marion crane character would have chosen an off-the-rack wardrobe.

I kind of like that house they move into when mom strikes it big in that "Imitation of Life" movie...inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright in a very loose fashion...all that 1958 "new" look. The "modern" look of the 50's with all those boomerang and amnoeba shapes. I think "imitation of Life" is a good name for this movie because it is so far-fetched. That maids funeral at the end rivaled JFKs in scope. It's really quite funny. When Sandra Dee says "momma, stop acting!" you really want to say: YES, LANA TURNER, STOP ACTING!!!

my favorite room is the bedroom in "suspicion" i saw these mirrored nightstands beteen the beds of cary grant and ingrid bergman. i thought those were the sharpest nightstands i ever seen. and the set of the movie "the fountainhead" very wide space, but wonderfully desgined. and that movie, "trouble in paradise" all that wonderful art deco. i fell in love with this clock that was in the stair hallway. the clock was like a hall lamp too because the face of it glowed when you turned it on. it was so cool.

I really loved Don Michael's home on Lake Tahoe in "The Godfather, Part II", sitting right at the edge of the Lake like it did. I'd give my right arm to have a place like that, so I do plenty of drooling when I see one.

Manderlay! I would just love to have a large country estate like that--well, minus Mrs. Danvers that is. And in the winter I'd like to have a quaint little hideaway on the French Riviera just like Nickie Ferrante's (Cary Grant) grandmother had in "An Affair to Remember".

Two movie homes make me long for a little spot in the country:

In "Random Harvest" there's a little cottage, with the squeaky gate, where Smithee (Ronald Colman) & Paula (Greer Garson) are happy together in obscurity and genteel poverty.

"Come to the Stable", in the warm, somewhat untidy little home in the converted barn where Elsa Lanchester paints and seems to survive nicely on tea and possibly sawdust until some ambitious nuns arrive to rouse her from her reverie. Ahh, an open floor plan and country peace!

"Play Misty For Me" - I never could figure out the floor plan or that privacy fence/driveway entrance, but it seemed so cozy and secluded. And the west coast climate (north of "hot"). Not to mention Clint was in his median 'prime'.. may have made it look inviting. But I always want to live there when I see it.

May Robson's country house in Connecticut that Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn frolick in from "Bringing Up Baby." That's my ideal - a beautiful house in the country like that and my own apartment in Manhattan - like one Fred and Ginger would be hanging out in - art deco style. Another great country house was the one from "George Washington Slept Here", but only after Jack Benny and Ann Sheridan fixed it up. And if you want to go first class - how about the 5th Avenue mansion from "Holiday" that Katherine Hepburn, Doris Nolan and Lew Ayres live in with their father (I forgot who played their father) - talk about class - that was one nice house!

I absolutely love the Hilton residence in the l943 "Since You Went Away." All those crackling fireplaces, comfortable furniture and big windows showing snow or rain. Claudette Colbert fitted in perfectly. Another fascinating place is that big, rambling mansion on that tiny island in "And Then There Were None..." the l945 classic from Rene Claire. Oh, boy, to spend a snowy weekend there in those bedroom suites with the huge plate glass windows--although I wouldn't want to be there with that killer roaming around! One more mansion: the haunted old Ingston Towers in Universal's classic horror flick, "Night Monster." Without that monster, that shadowy, old pile of bricks wasn't too bad!

Has anyone ever noticed that the country club interior set from Carefree (1938) and Aunt Elizabeth's house in Bringing Up Baby (also 1938) are the same? RKO made good use recycling this set!!!

Mary

Of course my favorite is Tara from 'Gone with the Wind.' The Bates Motel and house are great, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I know that this is taking it to the extreme in movie homes, but I LOVE the Palace Versailles from "Marie Antoinette" (1938)!!