Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"The Birds" (1963)

joefilmone

Hitchcocks apolyptic thriller needs to be restored to it's original glory- will Universal ever give this the deluxe blu ray treatment it deserves? I can only imagine how terrifying those bird shrieks would be with a digital treatment.

You're so right. For such a "dark" director, his use of color was extraordinary. Rather than deliberately obscuring things the way some directors of suspense would do, Hitchcock put it all out there for us to see. He knew that we're not so much frightened by what we can't see as by what we can't know for sure and therefore can't anticipate. His sets were beautifuuly detailed and his actors beautifully photographed. Watching his color films is a pleasure and "The Birds" is one of the best. The scene where the birds gather behind her on the swing set while she smokes a cigarette and listens to the kids singing that inane song in the schoolroom is one of my favorite scenes ever. Classic. I'm not sure I'm ready for the pecked-out eyes in blu ray, but you're right about this movie begging for the upgrade.

"The Birds" shrieks out for blu- ray not just for its interesting and terrifying use of sound- but the stunning color photography. I was watching it again when and was struck by the use of color- Hitchcock was a very meticulous director that's why sequences like the one you mentioned with the birds attacking the children remain classics.

Edited by: joefilmone on Mar 28, 2012 6:22 PM

Joe, so happy you started this thread for "The Birds" is one of my favorite movies that I watch at least once a month.

What always strikes me as magical about this movie is that HItchcock manages to give us so many chills and thrills, but it's never overkill--like the graphic, blood-drenched horror films of today where you literally see human entrails all over the place.

And oh, yes! The color! His color movies were always a feast for the eyes and "The Birds" ranks with "Vertigo" in its stunning use of the color palette. I've always thought it very clever that he posits Melanie Daniels and Mitch as possible lovers--but there's no love scenes, which went strongly against Hollywood's obsession that every movie had to have a love interest.

Is it true there's going to be a remake? I wouldn't be surprised. The only sci-fi/horror movies we see today are remakes, sequels, prequels of great classics from the past when we had real geniuses behind the camera.

The Birds maybe coming to our doorsteps this year--with a love interest, CGI birds and a cast of unknowns.

OMG, Michael Bay!

What a nightmare it would have turned out to be. Whenever I see his name in the credits, I know the remake/prequel,sequel is going to be total junk.

He's ruined so so many old horror/sci fi classics.

I don't see see how in hell how a remake would improve on the original? All these hacks, especially Rob Zombie, do is grab a legendary title from the past ("Halloween") and then destroy everything that made the original a classic.

princessananka wrote:

I don't see how in hell how a remake would improve on the original? All these hacks, especially Rob Zombie, do is grab a legendary title from the past ("Halloween") and then destroy everything that made the original a classic.

I don't either. It would be all blood, gore and sex with no heart in the story. Please let it alone!

There'd probably be no English grammar lesson either. The movie's tag line was "*The Birds* is coming!" which many people thought was incorrect. If you were just talking about a flock of them are would be the right verb but the subject was not a plural of bird but a single movie titled *The Birds* so is was correct. I don't know if this sold many tickets but it was good clean publicity.

I hated Mr Zombie's remake of "Halloween" even though he does have a real feel for 70's horror. I wouldn't mind a remake of " The Birds" if it was done right ( to see it done wrong watch the horrendous " Birdemic") and like it or not I think the story is a natural for the 3 - D process.

Yes, yes, "The Birds" in 3-D would be fabulous--especially when the birds attack the village square and that one horrible seagull that smashes into the telephone booth where Melanie Daniels is cowering! And then those ghastly beaks pecking at her hands and face in the upstairs room.

Did anyone see that beyond-ghastly sequel, "Birds II" that was shown once on the SyFi Channel several years ago? As I remember, the movie was so incredibly cheap that most of the action showed a cast of unknowns cowering and staring up at something beyond the camera. Then some goose feathers floated down to show us "the birds" were on the attack. And then there were shots of ordinary birds, probably photographed at a park, who were just perched on tree limbs and then from off-camera came bird sounds.

Teppi Hedren had a cameo role which I think finally destroyed her curious career who proved to be a one-bird-wonder.

I saw that horrible Birds II movie unfortunately! I thought it would be bad, but it was worse! And we do not need a remake of The Birds any more than we need any of these other crappy remakes. Blue-ray and 3-D sure, that's fun, but no more remakes of perfect classic films please! Not that I watch them anyway.

I wonder if Universal and the Hitchcock state would consider doing the 3 - D treatment to the original film?! If the upgrading was done with care it might be a cool way to introduced this classic to a new generation. Hitchcok was not just a great director but a master showman- I think if he were alive he might consider this himself.

Joe, is there a Univerfsal website that we could send our 3-D suggestions to regarding "The Birds>?

Maybe the estate isn't aware that there is a very strong interest in getting this masterpiece into the 3-D because, as you pointed out, Hitchcock was a master showman, and the 3-D format would be a great way of introducding this gem to a new genration.

I really don't think kids today (oh, I sound so old and wise) haveany idea what "Psycho" or "The Birds" is all about. To see these movies on TV is good but it's nothing like seeing them on a big screen which is where I first saw them. I've never forgotten those horrific bird sounds during the village attack, or the deadly race of the kids from the school and of cousre, Melanie's opening the door to the upstairs room where the birds are awaitingl

And with "Psycho," I remember nearly collapsing when first witnessing the shower scene and Bernard Hermann's incredible music score.