Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Leslie Howard as SOTM in July 2012

Here's the line-up:

_July 3_

STAND-IN...with Joan Blondell & Humphrey Bogart

GONE WITH THE WIND...with Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable & Olivia de Havilland

FIRST OF THE FEW...with David Niven

THE LAMP STILL BURNS...with Stewart Granger...Howard only served as producer of this one.

GENTLE SEX...with Joan Greenwood...This British production is a film that he directed and did not appear in as an actor. He does serve as the uncredited narrator, however.

_July 10_

FIVE AND TEN...with Marion Davies

NEVER THE TWAIN SHALL MEET...with Conchita Montenegro

OF HUMAN BONDAGE...with Bette Davis

THE PETRIFIED FOREST...with Bette Davis, Genevieve Tobin & Humphrey Bogart

_July 17_

ROMEO AND JULIET...with Norma Shearer

OUTWARD BOUND...with Douglas Fairbanks Jr. & Helen Chandler...This was Howard's first Hollywood film.

A FREE SOUL...with Norma Shearer & Clark Gable

CAPTURED!...with Douglas Fairbanks Jr. & Paul Lukas

SMILIN' THROUGH...with Norma Shearer & Fredric March

_July 24_

PYGMALION...with Wendy Hiller...He served as co-director.

DEVOTION...with Ann Harding

THE ANIMAL KINGDOM...with Ann Harding & Myrna Loy

BERKELY SQUARE...with Heather Angel

_July 31_

SECRETS...with Mary Pickford

BRITISH AGENT...with Kay Francis

THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL...with Merle Oberon & Raymond Massey

49TH PARALLEL...with Raymond Massey & Laurence Olivier

Thank you. They are also focusing on musical biographies in July.

The Rusty series continues each Saturday morning with the last installment, RUSTY'S BIRTHDAY, airing at the end of the month. Since one of the JUNGLE JIM entries pops up at the beginning of the month, I am wondering if that will be the next series in September. They have obviously leased JUNGLE JIM from Sony, so my guess is we'll see more.

Meanwhile, a batch of FALCON flicks with George Sanders airs on the 3rd, following a few of his SAINT titles.

Of interest to fans of classic Paramount films is the fact that ELEPHANT WALK, starring Dana Andrews and Elizabeth, screens on July 2nd.

And as I hoped for in another post, STARS AND STRIPES FOREVER, does make it on to the 4th of July schedule. Good!

Spike Lee is guest programmer. There is also another evening where an unnamed guest programmer has selected James Stewart westerns. Perhaps that is incorrectly labeled, or maybe it is an indicator that Robert Osborne is going on vacation and we will have another batch of replacement hosts...?

I wonder if TCM still wants to have Spike Lee host after his latest stunt. Maybe they should replace him with Reggie Miller. (for those that don't know Miller he was just accepted into the NBA Hall of Fame and Lee and Miller had one of the greatest all time feuds between player and fan of another team).

Anyhow glad to see my favorite actor, Leslie Howard, getting his due as SOTM. Too bad they are not showing Its Love I'm After. That is one of the best comedies of the 30s IMO.

Sorry I omitted that one. As tcmsnumberonefan indicated, IT'S LOVE I'M AFTER does air on July 10th. In fact, all three of his films with Bette Davis are scheduled that evening.

As for Spike Lee, I was surprised at how tame and classic his choices were. Not at all what I would expect from him.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Who is June's SOTM? Glad to see TCM is showcasing some new ones ( Howard and Joel M.)

June's SOTM are Teen Idols. That doesn't thrill me but Joel McCrea and Leslie Howard do.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote: }{quote}Spike Lee is guest programmer. There is also another evening where an unnamed guest programmer has selected James Stewart westerns. Perhaps that is incorrectly labeled, or maybe it is an indicator that Robert Osborne is going on vacation and we will have another batch of replacement hosts...?

My guess: Incorrectly labeled. Quite often, the prime-time themes listed on the weekly schedule contain random phrases which indicate nothing more meaningful than some sort of mishap over in the magnetic poetry factory. Although they frequently remind us that they know how not to cut, they have never claimed any degree of competence when it comes to pasting.

• 2 months later...

Looking forward to this.

>Here's the line-up:

July 3

STAND-IN...with Joan Blondell & Humphrey Bogart

GONE WITH THE WIND...with Vivien Leigh, Clark Gable & Olivia de Havilland

FIRST OF THE FEW...with David Niven

THE LAMP STILL BURNS...with Stewart Granger...Howard only served as producer of this one.

GENTLE SEX...with Joan Greenwood...This British production is a film that he directed and did not appear in as an actor. He does serve as the uncredited narrator, however.

July 10

FIVE AND TEN...with Marion Davies

NEVER THE TWAIN SHALL MEET...with Conchita Montenegro

OF HUMAN BONDAGE...with Bette Davis

THE PETRIFIED FOREST...with Bette Davis, Genevieve Tobin & Humphrey Bogart

July 17

ROMEO AND JULIET...with Norma Shearer

OUTWARD BOUND...with Douglas Fairbanks Jr. & Helen Chandler...This was Howard's first Hollywood film.

A FREE SOUL...with Norma Shearer & Clark Gable

CAPTURED!...with Douglas Fairbanks Jr. & Paul Lukas

SMILIN' THROUGH...with Norma Shearer & Fredric March

July 24

PYGMALION...with Wendy Hiller...He served as co-director.

DEVOTION...with Ann Harding

THE ANIMAL KINGDOM...with Ann Harding & Myrna Loy

BERKELY SQUARE...with Heather Angel

July 31

SECRETS...with Mary Pickford

BRITISH AGENT...with Kay Francis

THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL...with Merle Oberon & Raymond Massey

49TH PARALLEL...with Raymond Massey & Laurence Olivier

Looks like It's Love I'm After was left off the list again.

Here is what was posted below: They ARE showing It's Love I'm After. It will air at 9:30 ET on July 10.

Why no love for It's Love I'm After? :)

Very funny movie with 3 major stars (Howard, Davis, DeHavilland), and many fine supporting players.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Jun 29, 2012 4:10 PM

Sorry, guys. I had copied and pasted my original post, with the error in it. I forgot we had addressed that.

My goal was simply to bring this thread back to page one so that we could all look forward to Leslie Howard getting his due on TCM.

I really am excited about the first night, with his later British films scheduled after GWTW.

My goal was just to remind people that haven't seen It's Love I'm After to catch this movie.

It is one of my favorite 30s comedies. The bird calling scene is one of the best!

I also look forward to Howard as SOTM because I haven't see a few of the films TCM will be showing.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Jun 29, 2012 6:13 PM

Yes, I made a typo (since corrected). I have this movie on tape (beta no less long story why!) and typically watch it on New Years day since the movie is set on that day. I must of seen it at least 15 times now.

Well Bette is the only sane one in It's Love I'm After! She is the stoic one, while most everyone else is over the top. This is one of the reasons the movie 'works' so well. Bette keeps the movie grounded just enough to keep it from being too crazy.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight we have the three films he made with Bette Davis: THE PETRIFIED FOREST, IT'S LOVE I'M AFTER and OF HUMAN BONDAGE. These pictures vary significantly in style and tone, and it proves how adept these performers were with wide-ranging material.

I really like THE PETRIFIED FOREST, but I do not think director Archie Mayo does a good job hiding its stage origins (maybe he felt he didn't have to). He does open the action up a bit with some exterior scenes, but even most of those seem to be filmed inside a Warner Brothers soundstage. This is a film that would truly have been even better if the entire thing had been filmed somewhere in the desert on location. The setting is just as much a character as any human being.