Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favorite Movie Lines

Guest mongo

Speaking of "Gone With the Wind" the character Mammy as played by Hattie McDaniel also had some witty lines:

"It ain't fittin'. It just ain't fittin'. It ain't fittin'".

"She's comin'. I don't know why she's comin' but she's a comin'".

"Who dat? I never seen a woman wit dat color hair in all my life" (referring to Belle Watling).

"Miss Scarlett is prostrate with grief".

And as you said there are so many more.

Mongo

Mammy has some great lines, I agree! Maybe a couple of other favorites from GWTW are:

Scarlett crying to Rhett: "Oh! I'm glad mother's dead. I'm glad she's dead so she can't see me. I always wanted to be like her: calm and kind. And suddenly I've turned out disappointing!"

Rhett: "You know Scarlett, I think you're on the verge of a crying jag!"

And one of my favorite parts is when Rhett leaves her on the road to Tara and he makes that speech about how he loves her:

"I do know one thing, and that is that I love you, Scarlett. In spite of you and me and this whole silly world going to pieces around us, I love you. Because we're alike. Bad lots both of us, but able to look things in the eyes and call them by their right names..."

I don't know how many of you have read the book of GWTW, but one of my favorite barbs by Rhett comes at the Atlanta Bazaar when he comments on Scarlett's all black outfit by saying:

"I've always thought the Southern custom of mourning to be as barbarous as the Hindu suttee."

And then Scarlett says, "Settee?" I thought that was funny.

How about this one from the Wizard of Oz:

"Weeeeell! Bust my buttons! So she is! Come on in! Catch the horse of a different color!"

-Kendra

carolelombard01 you made me think of a favorite line from the Wizard of Oz when the spook discusion comes up and the cowardly lion is chanting "I'm not afraid of spooks, I'm not afraid of spooks" then something happens to-the tin man he's picked up or was it scarecrow? Anyway the cowardly lion then starts saying "I am afraid of spooks, I am afraid of spooks" which makes me burst out laughing everytime I see it.

• 1 month later...

Auntie Mame (1958)

"Exclusively what and restricted to whom?"

"Can't the Ebstein's afford their own home?"

"Oh, Vera, they're not going to live there; they're building a home there for refugee Jewish children."

"Well now, Mister Babbit"

"Babcock"

"mmyes"

Vera, in German accent: "Floor all scrubbed now Fraulein Dennis, just like old country. I go now, buy lamb chop, bottled milk for boy"

Mame: "Pick up my coat!"

Patrick (from a distance): "Bye Auntie Vera"

Vera, in normal speech: "Bye kid"

"Pick up my coat"

"What's wrong with Muriel Puse?"

From "So I Married an Axe Murderer": All delivered in a Scottish Brogue: "Head, down in front! That boy's got a gargantuan cranium!. It looks like an orange on a toothpick! Looks like Sputnik...a veritable PLANETOID! It has it's own weather system. Head cries himself to sleep on his HUUUUGE pillow!" BTW although I love this scene I really dislike thest of the pic.

• 2 weeks later...

Two great ones from A Free Soul:

First, Gable says "A lot of people don't believe that gag about being born equal" when Shearer's Grandmother tries to dress him down.

And, Barrymore really dressing down Gable later saying "The only time I hate democracy is when one of you mongrels forget where you belong ... a few dollars and a clean shirt and you move across the railroad tracks".

From MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS...

Katie: "Personally I wouldn't marry a man who proposed to me over an invention."

Esther: "Well we can't be too particular. Although we love Rose, the brutal fact is, well, she ISN'T getting any younger."

Tootie and Agnes (offscreen): "Hello Rose"

Katie: "There's the poor old maid now."

From WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY:

"Snozberries!? Whoever heard of a snozberry?"

tmsenzig I like the quotes from Meet Me in St. Louis you picked forgot about those. My favorite line involves a scene a line and a visual. It takes place in Casablanca wher they clear out the nightclub and Raines tells Bogie why because of gambling and a man comes to Raines character to give him his gambling winnings as he says here's your winnings as Raines continues to clear the club. I'm sure someone else has picked this one but I wanted to post before I forgot it.

So sorry to bring up a book but I need to GWTW. A good line from it is when Scarlett is curtailed by Frank Kennedy from going to the lumber yard since times are tense between the Yankees and the ex-confederates. No one is heading out and Frank says Scarlett must stay in. Well Scarlett thinks of the money she is losing and of course she has to get to the lumber yard since she has been under "house arrest" due to the scare and her recent birth of Frank's daughter. So she finally after a few days comes out of the house and over to Melanie's who lives behind her exclaiming she's got to get to the lumber yard and if anyone tried to stop her she'd shoot him "Yes, she killed a man once and yes would love to do it again" I howl everytime I read it.

I loved some of the lines from THE SNAKE PIT (which takes place in a mental institution) that had more than a little touch of humor to them. Especially the scene between de Havilland and Beulah Bondi that goes something like this after Bondi boasts about her husband showering her with diamonds.

DeH.: I have the Hopeless Emerald. You've probably heard of it. It carries the Cunningham curse.

Bondi: Yes, my dear, but it has a flaw. You see you can't put it on the most beautiful hands in the world. That's why I never do menial work.

DeH.: You mean occupational therapy? It's supposed to be good for you.

Bondi: It's not good for me. And I, my dear, have influence.

DeH.: I didn't mean you. I meant the general you.

Bondi: (brightening) General Who?

DeH.: Oh, Pershing.

Bondi: (Walking away disdainfully) One of the minor branches of the family.

And also the scene at the end where Virginia (Olivia) is leaving the asylum and after assuring her friend Ruth Donnelly that she's not sick anymore, a nurse briskly orders all the ladies "to go about their business." Ruth Donnelly is shown in close-up muttering to herself: "Hmmm. I wonder what kind of business that is."

And finally, the poignant remark de Havilland makes to husband Mark Stevens when she can't remember an incident from the day before. "Then I've lost another day. I don't suppose I'll ever find it."

It's a great script. Some memorable lines all the way through. But, of course, one of the most memorable lines from a deH. film comes from THE HEIRESS--which someone has already mentioned, when Catherine tells her aunt: Yes, I can be very cruel. I have been taught--by masters."

I like this line, as said by Barbara Stanwyck in "The Lady Eve":

Jane Harrington: You see Hopsi, you don't know very much about girls. The best ones aren't as good as you think they are and the bad ones aren't as bad. Not nearly as bad.

This line is memorable also:

Charles Pike: You ought to put handles on that skull. Maybe you could grow geraniums in it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My absolute favorite line that wrenches my heart out everytime is from Wuthering Heights 1939 with Merle Oberon and Laurence Olivier.

It's the 19th century English Moores in a manor hosting a ball. The ruggedly handsome Heathcliff(Olivier)steps out on the patio with Cathy(Oberon). She is his one and only love, who has married a wealthy "milk-white" landowner while he had been away inproving himself, and he came home to find her thus. Her nervous small talk and then...

Cathy- "Ah Heathcliff, you cannot pretend life hasn't improved for you."

Heathcliff-"Life has ended for me."

Her beautiful deep brown eyes at that moment, wow.