Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favorite Movie Lines

Guest mongo

any line from:

his girl friday

Walter Burns: I still wish you hadn't done that, Hildy.

Hildy Johnson: Done what?

Walter Burns: Divorced me. It makes a man feel he's not wanted.

Hildy Johnson: Oh, now look, junior... that's what divorces are FOR!

The philadelphia story (well covered here)

Dinah: nothing in the very LEAST ever happenens here...mother, how do you get small pox?

and all about eve, well, i may or may not have a bookmarked link to the entire script, just so I can cheer myself up somedays.

but to be original, will add

Gigi

gigi: Gaston? do you make love ALL the time

Gaston: the only people who make love all the time, are liars!

Aunt Alicia: Bad table manners, my dear Gigi, have broken up more housholds than infidelity.

and adam's rib

Kip: Lawyers should never marry other lawyers. This is called in-breeding; from this comes idiot children... and other lawyers.

Spencer tracy: No matter what you think you think, you think the same as I think.

Katharine hepburn: Are you feeling pinky, cranky?

• 2 weeks later...

Marlene Dietrich said (somewhere) that her own favorite line was in Touch of Evil, right at the end. "He was some kind of man. What can you say about people," speaking of the Welles character.

Marie Dressler delivered a beauty in Dinner At Eight. Another character intimated that Marie's character had been around a long time. Marie stares at her fixedly and says, "Maybe we should get together at talk about the Civil War." (or something like that). Not very original but it's all in the delivery.

Yes, that Dressler line was spoken after Oliver's secretary, who appeared to be middle aged at least, told her she'd seen her perform as a little girl. That's when she said the Civil War line (I think.) Hilarious woman, that Marie!!!

"Dr SL" Capt. Lionel Mandrake: "What do you think all this is in aid of? Colonel "Bat" Guano: I think you're some kind of deviated PREvert! I think you were leading a conspiracy of preverts and General Ripper found you out... After Mandrake enters phone booth to call the Pres. : "Don't you try any preversions in there!"

Sometimes when you really listen to those 30's movies you pick up on those quick witted corny lines like this one from " The Women" ( let me set it up a tad )It is the opening scenes as the camera follows the day spa workers through the different areas/rooms of the spa and you see all the clients in various stages of feminine repair, this one worker says sweetly " My dear Mrs.----, you don't look a day over 35" the camera follows her out of the room, she mutters to her friend crassly " the woman's got the face of a gasoline truck & she's 60 if she's a day." and quickly your off following the next actor. When I caught that I just about rolled! A gasoline truck? Never heard that before!

Any part of Groucho's "strange interlude" in Animal Crackers.

Best closing line: "I'm having an old friend for dinner" from Silence of the Lambs, beating out Casablanca's: "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." You can't help but smirk every time.

I'm repeating myself, I know, but this line from The Last Of Mrs. Cheyney, spoken by Basil Rathbone to a friend who just called a woman handsome:

'Telling a woman she is handsome is like intimating that her undergarments are made of lead'.

Not an exact quote, but one of my favorites.

There's a line in Twentieth Century (1934) I just missed writing down correctly. Barrymore has just tricked his way on-board the titled train wearing a disguise and says something like: "I can't believe I just stooped to being an actor"!

A small squad of Marines are holding their positions.In the darkness their sargent [John Wayne] hears the cry of his best friend calling to be rescued.Wayne knows to do so would give away their position.Another Marine[John Agar] wants to go out and get him.Agar says "IM going out there and the only way you can stop me is to shoot me!" Wayne pushes his rifle in Agars face,releases the safety and says in true Marine style,"AND THATS JUST WHAT I'LL DO!!. Being a former Marine ,that was realistic dialogue! From SANDS OF IWO JIMA.

Not certain as to whom initiated this "DOOZY" of a topic? Mongo or path40?

Anyway, in it's next & 8th annual special The American Film Institute-(AFI) Is airing "AFI's 100yrs...100 Movie Quotes"

It will be in June & on CBS

Thank You

Here are a few of my favorites:

"I'm not like anyone. I'm ME."

- Elizabeth Taylor in, oh what was it...Butterfield 8?

?Those who surrender themselves to evil are no longer free souls. They are marionettes of the devil. We are all no more than puppets unless we believe in God.?

- David Bond in The Private Affairs of Bel Ami

"If clothes are to clothe they should clothe."

- Fred Astaire in Roberta

?The time to make up your mind about people is never.?

- Kate Hepburn in The Philadelphia Story

"I guess mine is strictly a bathtub voice."

- Claudette Colbert in Midnight

• 1 month later...

One of my all time favorite movie quotes, that makes me laugh when ever I hear it, (but you also have to see it to get the visual)is from the movie "Dinner at Eight" (1933)(another one of my favorite movies) when Jean Harlow (whom I love) at the end of the movie says "I was reading a book the other day." and Carlotta-the woman she is talking to- looks her up and down and naerly falls over and says "Reading a book?" Jean Harlow says " Yes, its all about civilization or something. A nutty kind of a book. Do you know the guy says machines are going to take the place of every professon?" and then Carlotta says "Oh my dear, that's something you need never worry about."

I laugh everytime I see it. It's certainly a classic.

Another one of my favorite movies to quote from is "The Quiet Man"

I love when the lady at the station says "Sir!..Sir!.. Here's a good stick, to beat the lovely lady." and another " A man would have to be a sprinter to catch his wife in a bed like that."

this has already been mentioned, but I love when Gloria Grahame [as Debbie in The Big Heat] walks into Glenn Ford's room, surveys it and says "Hey, I like this...early nothing."

That's a line which can be said properly only by someone with a voice like Gloria's.

I am always inspired by it, as her comments ring so true, as to what she is seeing in front of her.

jalannapolaris,

That "Carlotta-the woman she was talking to" is Marie Dressler. I'm not one for pedantry but I couldn't refrain from mentioning this, and besides, she is so well known and admired anyway by so many. Jalanna, Marie was a big, big star in the early 30s--in fact, she topped Jean Harlow at the box office, as well as Greta Garbo and all the rest. Almost as good (and maybe better) than Marie's line was the double-take she illicited at the line, "I read a book the other day." Someone has said (maybe Osborne) said that surely this is the greatest double take in all movies.

My favorite movie lines were:

Marlon Brando in Streetcar Named Desire - "Now that's how I'm gonna clear the table. Don't you ever talk that way to me - pig, pollack, disgusting, vulgar, greasy...those words have been on your tongue and your sister's tongue just too much around here lately. What do you think you are, a pair of queens? Just remember what Hughey Long said....Every man is a king and I'm the king around here and don't you forget it....there, my place is all clean, you want me to help clear yours"?

Marlon Brando in On The Waterfront - "I coulda had class, I coulda been a contender, I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am, let's face it....it was you Charlie".

Marlon Brando in Streetcar Named Desire - "I don't go in for that stuff...compliments to women....I never met a dame yet who didn't know she was good looking without being told...and there's some of them that give themselves credit for more than they've got. I once went out with a dame who said she was the glamorous type...she said, "I AM THE GLAMOROUS TYPE' and I said "SO WHAT".

Yule Brynner in the "Ten Commandments"...."You will come to me when I call your name and I will like that very much...whether you like it or not is your own affair, but I think you'll like it".

Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump - "My name is Forrest and they call me Forrest". I also liked the line: "Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get".