Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favorite Movie Lines

Guest mongo

Rear Window (while the composer plays his piano in the apartment across the courtyard):

Grace Kelly: Where does a man get inspiration to write a song like that?

Jimmy Stewart: He gets it from the landlady once a month.

"I'm not crazy about your's. I didn't ask to see you. I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like them myself. They're pretty bad. I grieve over them on long winter evenings. And I don't mind you ritzing me or drinking your lunch out of a bottle, but don't waste your time trying to cross-examine me."

"The cops ain't liable to catch up with us. Not tonight. So we can all be quiet and peaceable, and have a few beers together and listen to the muuuusic. And not make any wrong moves. Cause I may as well tell you folks that old Ruby there with the gun; he's pretty nervous and jumpy. He's got the itch between his fingers. Let's everybody stay where they are."

"I thought you had all the answers! I thought you were a wiseguy from way back!"

"I'm sorry lady, I don't like to interfere with anybody's fun."

"Dry your eyes, baby. It's out of character."

null

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.

Harry Lime in The Third Man

two "death" related lines...

THE PRINCESS BRIDE (1987)

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." (says Mandy Patinkin as he finally meets the man-with-6-fingers)

BLADE RUNNER (1982)

"Wake up! Time to die!"

(Rutger Hauer as his [android] life expires)

That sure is a good movie. I think they should have dumped Captain Bligh overboard while at sea, late at night, and returned to England without him.

The first remake of this film is pretty good too, and so is the second remake.

From a comedy:

Woody Allen to his mother: "Why were there Nazis?"

Mother: "Ask your father."

Father: "How the hell do I know why there were Nazis. I don't even know how the can opener works."

Hannah and Her Sisters

From a drama:

Noah Cross (John Huston) to J.J. Gittes (Jack Nicholson): "You see Mr. Gittes, when you get to be my age, you realize that at the right time in the right place people are capable of . . . anything."

Chinatown

Rickspade,

A couple of months back, I heard an idiot critic begin his review of Woody Allen's "Match Point" with the back-handed comment, "Don't let 'Woody Allen' as creator scare you off...I recommend this picture".

I read your Woody Allen quote and I wonder, "what the hell was he (the reviewer) talking about"? I mean, who else in show biz writes dialogue as funny as the one you posted ("Hannah and Her Sisters")?

One more thing regarding Woody Allen.

One scene of Woody's which I often recall (making it one of my favorites) is from "Radio Days". The scene starts with Woody's dad getting **** off because the upstairs neighbors are playing the radio on the Sabbath (everybody knows they are godless communists). Dad goes upstairs to read the riot act to the...communists. Dad stays upstairs a very long time. Dad, upon his return to his apartment, immediately begins bellowing (I am paraphrasing), "downtrodden workers must unite!"

Woody Allen--what a talent!

Rusty

> One scene of Woody's which I often recall (making it

> one of my favorites) is from "Radio Days". The scene

> starts with Woody's dad getting **** off because

> the upstairs neighbors are playing the radio on the

> Sabbath (everybody knows they are godless

> communists). Dad goes upstairs to read the riot act

> to the...communists. Dad stays upstairs a

> very long time. Dad, upon his return to his

> apartment, immediately begins bellowing (I am

> paraphrasing), "downtrodden workers must unite!"

>

> Woody Allen--what a talent!

>

> Rusty

I also love Radio Days; it?s one of my favorites as well. Glad to see that there are some TCM viewers who appreciate Woody?s great talent. Admittedly, he?s produced some weak films, but overall his comedies are filled with some of the funniest lines since Groucho was tossing them left-and-right during the 1930s at Margaret Dumont, and a host of pompous, bloated foils whom he so hilariously skewered.

I also wanted to amend my previous posting on favorite lines, since the ones I chose were from post-1960s films; here are two favorites from pre-60s films.

One truck driver to another (pointing to diner waitress Ann Sheridan): ?Nice chassis.?

Second driver: ?Classy Chassis.?

First driver: ?I?d like to finance it for you, baby.?

Sheridan: ?Who are you kidding. You couldn?t even pay for the headlights.?

They Drive By Night

. . .And the ultimate closing dialogue from any movie.

Detective Tom Polhaus (Ward Bond): ?Heavy. What is it??

Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart): ?The. . .stuff that dreams are made of.?

The Maltese Falcon

One of mine is "What we have here is failure to communicate" from Cool Hand Luke. I sure wish TCM would show that movie!!! *hint* Yes, I know it is 'later years'.......but "classic", I have come to believe with the help of this group, is in the heart of the beholder. And, Cool Hand Luke is a classic to me.

Woody Allen fans must be way more "in the know" than I am because that is one man I absolutely cannot stand.