Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favorite Movie Lines

Guest mongo

From the classic Warners comedy, Torrid Zone:

Ann Sheridan to Pat O'Brien: "Mister, the stork that brought you must have been a vulture."

From Woody Allen's, Hannah and Her Sisters, when Woody's father is asked to explain "why there were Nazis."

"How the hell do I know why there were Nazis? I don't even know how the can opener works."

I love this line from Gone With The Wind.

Scarlett: As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!

This is a memorable line I liked very much from my favorite Olivia De Havilland film, The Heiress. I love the evil face she does while she says it. :)

Catharine Sloper: Yes, I can be very cruel. I have been taught by masters.

Here are some of my favorites:

The Thin Man (1934)

Nora: Waiter, will you serve the nuts? I mean, will you serve the guests the nuts?

Sullivan?s Travels (1941)

The Girl: I liked you better as a bum.

Sullivan: I can?t help what kind of people you like.

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943)

Clive Candy: Well sir, I have a friend . . .

Colonel Betteridge: Good. Not everybody can say that. Continue!

Footlight Parade (1933)

Nan Prescott: [to Vivian] As long as there are sidewalks, you?ve got a job.

The Palm Beach Story (1942)

Wienie King: I?m the Wienie King! Invented the Texas Wienie! Lay off ?em, you?ll live longer.

Duck Soup (1933)

Prosecutor: Chicolini, when were you born?

Chicolini: I don?t-a remember. I was just a little baby.

It Happened One Night (1934)

Alexander Andrews: I asked you a simple question! Do you love her?

Peter Warne: YES! But don?t hold that against me, I?m a little screwy myself!

Ninotchka (1939)

Buljanoff: How are things in Moscow?

Ninotchka: Very good. The last mass trials were a great success. There are going to be fewer but better Russians.

Bringing Up Baby (1938)

Susan: You mean you want me to go home?

David: Yes.

Susan: You mean you don?t want me to help you any more?

David: No.

Susan: After all the fun we?ve had?

David: Yes.

Susan: And after all the things I?ve done for you?

David: That?s what I mean.

The Awful Truth (1937)

Jerry: You?re wrong about things being different because they?re not the same. Things are different except in a different way. You?re still the same, only I?ve been a fool? but I?m not now.

Lucy: Oh.

Jerry: So long as I?m different, don?t you think that? well, maybe things could be the same again? only a little different, huh?

To Be or Not to Be (1942)

Colonel Ehrhardt: They named a brandy after Napoleon, they made a herring out of Bismarck, and the Fuhrer is going to end up as a piece of cheese!

The Shop Around the Corner (1940)

Pirovitch: Is she pretty?

Marton: She has such ideals, such a point of view on things . . . She?s so far above the girls you meet today, there?s simply no comparison.

Pirovitch: So she?s not so very pretty

DavidE

http://www.classicfilmpreview.com

LOVE The Thin Man, Footlight Parade (LOL) and Shop Around the Corner!!

Another good one is Bette in Of Human Bondage:

"It made me sick when I had to let ya kiss me! I only did it because ya begged me; ya hounded me; ya drove me crazy!! And after ya kissed me, I used to wipe my mouth! WIPE MY MOUTH!!!"

Ya have ta read it like Bette!

Now, who else could have played Mildred????

> LOVE The Thin Man, Footlight Parade (LOL)

Here are two more from Footlight Parade in the same vein:

Chester Kent: Hello, Vivian. This is Miss Rich. My secretary, Miss Prescott.

Nan Prescott: I know Miss Bi? Rich, if you remember.

Charlie Bowers: Is there anything I can do?

Chester Kent: Yeah. See that window over there?

Charlie Bowers: Yeah.

Chester Kent: Take a running jump and I think you can make it.

And here are two more from The Thin Man:

Nick: How?d you like Grant?s tomb?

Nora: It?s lovely. I?m having a copy made for you.

Nora: Pretty girl.

Nick: Yes. She?s a very nice type.

Nora: You got types?

Nick: Only you, darling. Lanky brunettes with wicked jaws.

DavidE

Holy Cow, David! I don't even remember what I was going to say! Oh, yeah, something about how funny those lines are! Especially the window jumping! But, I am so blown away by your site, or whatever it is!!!!! I kept seeing more and more of my LOVES! Garbo, first and foremost in Camille. The quote, "Granted, the part calls for an actor who can appear young and inexperienced, but that doesn't mean the part should actually be played by a young and inexperienced actor." Did you write that? That is exactly what we were saying about Taylor!!! Are you intuitive or what? I can't say enough! I started writing down titles, Sullivan's Travels, Duck Soup, My Man Godfrey, The Palm Beach Story, Captain Blood, Citizen Kane, Greed, Bringing Up Baby, His Girl Friday, 39 Steps, Shop Around the Corner, The Magnificent Ambersons! I had to stop. You have so many movies I love!! What great taste, and what a great site! YOU ARE THE MAN! And, you say you are not finished? All I can say is WOW! Everyone has to see this!

> But, I am so blown away by your site, or whatever it

> is!!!!! I kept seeing more and more of my LOVES!

> Garbo, first and foremost in Camille. The quote,

> "Granted, the part calls for an actor who can appear

> young and inexperienced, but that doesn't mean the

> part should actually be played by a young and

> inexperienced actor." Did you write that? That is

> exactly what we were saying about Taylor!!! Are you

> intuitive or what?

I'm not intuitive -- just lazy. I?ve been grabbing a few bits and pieces from my site when they apply to something here. Why reinvent the wheel? I had already written the Camille review and had mentioned I didn't think Taylor was up to snuff. When I saw the thread here on recasting roles, I thought of Taylor and decided to cut and paste that sentence. I figure it can't be plagiarism if you steal from yourself. With the exception of a comment that someone left for the Magnificent Ambersons review and the two sections titled Backwards Movies and Ten-Second Plots (which are attributed to the alt.movies.silent newsgroup), all the writing on the site is mine. I also use some director and author quotes from film-related books I have, though I always give credit where it?s due.

I started the site last November with the idea that I would preview classic films just before they?re shown on cable or released on DVD (hence the name of the site: Classic Film Preview). That way if the reader wanted to actually see the film, it would be available. It can be frustrating to read about a great film you have no chance of seeing.

> Everyone has to see this!

Nah, you're too kind. But if anyone wants to check it out, the link is under my name at the bottom.

And since this thread is about favorite movie lines, here's another favorite quote from Sullivan's Travels (1941):

Policeman: How does the girl fit into the picture?

Sullivan: There?s always a girl in the picture. What?s the matter, don?t you go to the movies?

DavidE

Message was edited by:

DavidEnglish

Here are two of my favorite quotes from film directors. One is contained within a film, not by that director. The other is one director commenting on another director.

"Cinemascope ? it?s only good for snakes and funerals!"

? Spoken by Fritz Lang in Jean-Luc Godard?s 1963 film, Contempt, which is itself a Cinemascope film.

"I still remember the day of the funeral. After the ceremony, William Wyler and I walked silently to our car. Finally, I said, just to say something to break the silence, ?No more Lubitsch.? To which Wyler replied, ?Worse than that ? no more Lubitsch films.?"

? Billy Wilder (Action!, Magazine of the Screen Directors Guild of America; November 1967)

DavidE

Every line at the end of Some Like It Hot between Joe E. Brown and Jack Lemmon.

And I know it's not in a movie but the line Red Skelton said when Cohn died about the large turn out for his funeral, "Give the people what they want and they'll turn up in droves". My apologies if it's not word for word, but I remember hearing him say it once a long time ago.

• 2 weeks later...

David Niven got off a great one in his imitable understated manner in The Real Glory, when enumerating his soldierly skills in the wilds of the Philippines: "and I know how to start a fire by rubbing two Boy Scouts together..."

Garbomaniac:

In the scene Cagney has stuffed somebody into the trunk of his car. He forgets about him and as Cagney walks by the guy in the trunk complains that it is hard to breathe in there. Wishing to accommodate the man he promptly shoots two holes into the trunk. Cagney walks away to go on about his business. In a way it's almost funny. It is a good scene to show how ruthless his character is.

> Garbomaniac:

>

> In the scene Cagney has stuffed somebody into the

> trunk of his car. He forgets about him and as Cagney

> walks by the guy in the trunk complains that it is

> hard to breathe in there. Wishing to accommodate the

> man he promptly shoots two holes into the trunk.

> Cagney walks away to go on about his business. In a

> way it's almost funny. It is a good scene to show how

> ruthless his character is.

What makes the scene even more "ruthless" (and comical, frankly) is that when Cagney is walking by the trunk, and then stops to shoot the poor guy inside, he's eating a chicken leg! After he shoots the guy, he keeps right on eating as he walks away! Only Cagney could pull that off.