Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Guest mongo

Your Favorite Movie Lines

singin' in the rain (1951)

Lina: Oh Donny! You couldn't kiss me like that and not mean it just a teensy bit!

Don Lockwood: Meet the greatest actor in the world! I'd rather kiss a tarantula.

Lina: You don't mean that.

Don Lockwood: I don't - - Hey Joe, get me a tarantula.

i don't know what it is about this but it always makes me giggle.

During last night's TCM broadcast of "Goke, Body Snatcher from Hell", I heard the following dialogue (I am paraphrasing):

[Group of airplane crash survivors are gathered around stewardess passenger. Rest of passengers want to know what happened to her and the "assassin" passenger during their recent disappearance. Stewardess is mute and pretty much catatonic. Assassin passenger still missing. Psychiatrist passenger hypnotizes stewardess to draw out her story]:

Stewardess (her recall is presented to the audience in a series of pictures): "The assassin guy and I saw a blinding light. The light came from a flying saucer. The assassin guy walked into the blinding light. His forehead split open. Purple, amoeboid goo came from the blinding light and crawled into his head. His forehead closed up. I screamed."

Passenger 1: "Impossible!"

Passenger 2: "Impossible!"

Passenger 3: "Impossible!"

Passenger 4: "Impossible!"

Passenger 5: "Impossible!"

Psychiatrist Passenger: "You say, her story 'impossible'. I say, I hypnotize her. I say, her story must be true..."

Passenger 1: "But, blinding light....impossible!"

Even though I watched the thing at three o'clock in the morning (central time) and I was not in a merry mood...the "blinding light" line made me laugh. I love goofy dialogue.

Rusty

Claude Rains in Casablanca ~ "I'm shocked, SHOCKED, to find that gambling is going on...." As the croupier hands him his winnings.

a day at the races 1937

Tony: She's in it with Whitmore. She's trying to frame you.

Flo: Why, I've never been so insulted in all my life!

[Hackenbush looks at his watch] Well, it's early yet.

at the circus 1939

Large, angry man - speaking to groucho - : i'll cut you in half!

Groucho: do i get to file separate tax returns?

"Could we try to remember that we are hardly commercial travelers! It's bad enough we have to associate with these tourists on board without having to go ashore with them! You have all the vigor of a typical American tourist! Charlotte, sit down and write something to someone! For the last three days you've been behaving like an excited servant girl!" (Gladys Cooper, Now, Voyager)

"I have no romance. All my lovers and I are just friends."

--Jayne Mansfield, in Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?

"They seek him here, they seek him there. Is he in heaven, is he in hell, those damn frenchies seek him everywhere" from "The Scarlett Pimpernel"

I hope this thread isn't reserved just for the classic movies. It does say "Favorite Movie Lines" and so here is mine:

It's from Playing by Heart and the line is delivered by none other than Angelina Jolie playing Joan.

"Talking about love is like dancing about architecture."

so very true.

I watched "Misery" with Kahy Bates recently, and still get a kick out of this line.

Annie Wilkes: He didn't get out of the COCKADOODIE CAR!

Sometimes favorite movie lines are favorite not because they're so well written, or presented, but rather because they are so bad, they remain embedded in your brain from the moment you hear them. One of mine is:

"It never rains in Los Angeles, when you want it to"

This intense line was delivered with utmost seriousness by June Havoc in a long forgotten epic called Once a Thief, circa 1950. The fact that I lived in Los Angeles when I saw the film added to the amusement.

I have several favorites:

Barbara Stanwyck's "You unspeakable Judas" in The Mad Miss Manton,

Cary Grant's "I'm overcome" in Holiday,

Leslie Howard's "Sink me" in The Scarlet Pimpernel,

Errol Flynn's "Then it would seem I was not with the governor" in Captain Blood, and many others.

What makes a line stand out in my mind is not what is said but rather the manner in which it is said- delivery is everything.

This is one of my favorites;

from the movie,HOMBRE.

Passengers riding in a stagecoach,talking about wild Indians and their lifestyle.

They talk about they eat dogs. Barbara Rush, replies,"I don't care how hungry I was I'd never eat dog."

Paul Newman (white man raised by Apaches) asks,"ever been hungry lady? I don't mean ready for supper, I'm talking about starving, with your belly hanging out. "

She says"I'd still never eat one"

Newman says,"You would eat it and fight for the bones."

Any line uttered by Joan Crawford in QUEEN BEE, such as:

"Any man's my man if I want it that way."

"I thought you were aware by now I am not someone to be called for like a kitchen maid. Are you drunker than usual or have you lost all sense of courtesy?"

"Parties are to women what battlefields are to men."

etc. etc.

And then there is one of my favorites, Bette Davis as Margot Channing:

"I'll admit I've seen better days, but I'm still not to be had for the price of a cocktail, like a salted peanut."

I love Bette and Joan.

One of my favorites from a film full of great lines:

Glenn Ford to Rita Hayworth:

"Pardon me, but your husband is showing"

Sorry, the film is Gilda, in case you didn't know.

Message was edited by:

bradtexasranger

Hope I'm not repeating, 34 pages is too much to read.

Ripley to the monster at the end of the second 'Aliens',

"Get away from her, you ****!"

Anne

Hey, my language has just been corrected and I couldn't be happier! I apologize for using that word, I just did because it's part of the line. I'll be more careful from now on!!!!!

Message was edited by:

mrsl

Anne,

I agree that's a good moment, but I'm surprised you sat through an Alien movie! Did you see the original where the alien comes out of his stomach? That may be the grossest movie moment ever.

Brad:

Believe it or not, I saw both of them butI watched them with my kids on cable and they told me when to cover my eyes. Most of the time they didn't have to say anything, because I watched most of them with my hands over my face most of the time. But, that line just stood out to me. There was something about the way she delivered it that, even though it was a stupid 'monster' movie, somehow the way she said it, with just the right tone, and emotional impact, it was just like any mother would say it if her child was in danger. I know it wasn't her child, but she had the same protective instincts.

I said before, my kids and their friends considered me 'one of the guys', and literally picked me up and carried me into the family room a few times to watch those things, that's why I am not ignorant of the changes that have evolved over the past few years.

Been There, Done That - is all I can say.

Anne

To every man, woman and child who can hear my voice.

Watch the skies! Keep watching the skies!!!

From - The Thing from Another World

From Young Frankenstein

Gene Wilder carrying Teri Garr (with a low cut blouse) outside the castle's door - uses the castles' door **** to announce their arrival -

Gene Wilder looking at the door **** "What a pair of ****!"

Teri Garr - Oh Thank you doctor.

A classic.

And finally - Woody Allen from Sleeper -- when asked how long he was in hibernation

200 years

Diane Keaton - Wow, 200 years without sex

Wood - 207 if you count my marriage.

Okay, I read ALL of the posts and there are so many GREAT lines. I laughed out loud so much my hubby joined me at the end.

Here are some of my favorites that are unmentioned so far but surely deserve to go on record

Airplane:

"Surely you don't mean that"

" Yes I do and stop calling me Shirley"

" I picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue."

Stripes

When Bill Murrys girlfriend tell him she is leaving and he replies" You can't leave all the plants will die"

Later at the recruiters office he is asked " Are you a homsexual?"

" No but Im willing to learn."

*****************************************************************************************

Murder by Death

" I'm not a Frenchie. I'm a Belgie"

My cousin Vinney

" Oh yeah, you BLEND."

How to Marry a Millionaire

Lauren Bacall is talking to an older gentleman trying to convince him that he is not too old for her

" I am just crazy for older men, like that guy in African Queen I am just crazy about him."

Young Frankenstien

" What did it say on the lable?"

"Abbie...Abbie normal"

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

In the begining of the film Bogart keeps going back to this same guy in a white suit, asking for money. Finally the guy says" This is the last time I am going to give you anything. From now on you are just going to have to muddle through with out me." The funny thing is that the cammera pulls out and for the first time you see the guys face and it is John Houston.

*************************************************************************************************

The Big Sleep

" My, my, my. Such alot of guns around town and so few brains. You know, you are the second guy today who seems to think that a gatt in the hand means the world by the tail"

So many lines so many laughs

Michelle

newbie in LaHabra CA