Find results in...

Your Favorite Movie Lines

Guest mongo

• 3 weeks later...

two from Chinatown...

Mrs.Mulwray : "she's my sister AND my daughter"

Walsh : "forget it Jake,it's Chinatown"

and two from Laura...

Shelby Carpenter : "I can afford a blemish on my character, but not on my clothes."

Waldo Lydecker : "I don't use a pen. I write with a goose-quill, dipped in venom."

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it is in "The good the bad and the ugly" when the criminal is to be hanged and the judge reads off all the crimes this guy has committed.The list is so long they do a panorama shot of the area and you wonder how long is this going to take and I laugh everytime I see it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got to throw in another original zinger in for "Eve"...when the Hugh Marlowe/playwright character asks Margo "Just when does the actress decide that they are her words she is saying, and her thoughts she is expressing?", she replys "Usually at the point when she has to re-write and re-think them, to keep the audience from leaving the theater!" I think there are probably more quotable, memorable lines from "All About Eve" then from any other movie I can think of, and thats a lot of movies, I assure you!

Mark, that entire scene is my favorite in the movie! Bette is so REAL there, I can imagine myself saying those things, although I probably don't have the clout like Bette to pull it off quite so well...As for the most quotable lines in a movie, I'd have to say GWTW would be my first choice. Well, fiddle dee dee! :)

Yes, that is a wonderful scene. A few moments later is when, after being asked by Bill if she would like to go and have a drink, Margo says "I'll admit I've seen better days, but I'm still not to be had for the price of a cocktail!" Bette was superb throughout the whole film. And, I didnt even mention the famous "box of clippings" speech she gives to Karen, when they are stranded in the car with no gas.

My favorite is still the line Thelma Ritter blurts out in the dressing room "What a story, everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rearend". Also at the end of the film when Bette Davis says something about where Eve's award oughta be. Great stuff!

Some of my favorite classic lines:

From Howard Hawks' "The Big Sleep" (1946) -

"I don't mind if you don't like my manners. I don't like them myself. They're pretty bad. I grieve over them long winter evenings. And I don't mind your ritzing me, or drinking your lunch out of a bottle, but don't waste your time trying to cross-examine me."

"Of course, there's also this riff of lines from Groucho Marx in "Animal Crackers" (1930) -The principal animals inhabiting the African jungle are moose, elks and Knights of Pythias. Of course, you all know what a moose is. That's big game. The first day, I shot two bucks. That was the biggest game we had. As I say, you all know what a moose is? A moose runs around on the floor, and eats cheese, and is chased by the cats. The Elks, on the other hand live up in the hills, and in the spring they come down for their annual convention. It is very interesting to watch them come to the water hole. And you should see them run when they find it is only a water hole. What they're looking for is an al-co-hole. One morning, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I don't know. Then we tried to remove the tusks...but they were embedded in so firmly that we couldn't budge them. Of course, in Alabama, the Tusk-a-loosa. But, uh, that's entirely 'irrelephant' to what I was talking about. We took some pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed, but we're going back again in a couple of weeks."

Just priceless stuff.

Some favorites...some may be paraphrased.

Scarecrow: what did he say?

Dorothy: Oil can.

Scarecrow: Oil can what?

Big Sleep: Bogart as Marlow to Bacall's sister: Get up off the floor you look like a peekanese.

Laura: Waldo Lydecker to Det. Mark McPherson: I would be sincerely sorry to see my neighbor's children devoured by wolves. and Forgive the touch of epilepsy my dear, it's an old family custom. Actually everything Waldo says is memorable.

Everything said in All about Eve is memorable too.

Walter Brenan in To Have and Have Not: Ever been bit by a dead bee?

Are ya ready for me Ralph? Risky Business

"Fiddle-Dee-Dee" from GWTW

"Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!" from All About Eve

"Everytime you hear a bell rings, an angel gets his wings" from It's a Wonderful Life

"Have you ever been bit by a dead bee?" from To Have or Have Not

and then tons of things said by Groucho Marx like-

"you haven't stopped talking, you must have been vaccinated with a phonograph needle"

and SOOO many more!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with so many previous posts, esp."It's people" from Soylent Green.

A few that come to mind: From Forrest Gump, when Jenny and Forest go back to her childhood home--"Sometimes there just aren't enough rocks". From Same Time Next Year, "I guess God thought chubby thighs were enough"!From The Big Chill,"Are we the first ones up?". That scene still cracks me up!! And, from 84 Charing Cross Road, Ann Bancroft--"Raspberries, Raspberries, Raspberries".

This is fun!!

Wow, there are so many.

I really like the line in The apartment when Shirley Maclaine's talking about her broken mirror and says "It makes me look how I feel"....there are so many good lines in Billy Wilder movies.

Breakfast at Tiffany's has a lot of good ones. My fave is "there's a certain shade of limelight that can wreck a girls complexion"

I like Joan Crawford's line in the Women...something like "there's a name for you ladies, but it's not used in high society outside a kennel"

There are so many good lines that I just can't remember the exact wording right now.

• 2 weeks later...

I love everything said in "My Man Godfrey".

Ooh, and The Philadelphia Story:

Liz: They have a cousin who is definitly crazy.

Mike: How do you know?

Liz: Dinah told me.

Mike: Dinah would know!

Mike: Doggonit C.K. Dexter Haven, either I'm gunna sock you or you're gunna sock me!

Dexter: Shall we toss a coin?

Bringing Up Baby:

Aunt Elizabeth: You look perfectly ridiculous in those clothes.

David: These aren't my clothes. I've lost my clothes.

Aunt Elizabeth: Well, why are you wearing these clothes.

David: Because I just went GAY all of a sudden!

David: I'm a nut from Brazil!

and North by Northwest:

Roger: Not that I mind a slight case of abduction now and then, but I have tickets to the theater this evening, to a show I was looking forward to, and I get well, kind of unreasonable about things like that.

Van Dam: With such expert play acting you make this very room a theater.

Not to mention . . .

The Cincinnati Kid

Edward G. Robinson's character says to Steve McQueen's character: "You're good, kid. Very good. But as long as I'm around you're second best."

Little Caesar

Edward G: "Is this the end of Rico?"

The Princess Bride: (not mentioned before, but a definite classic)

Westley: "I'm not saying I'd like to build a summer home here (the Fire Swamp), but the trees are actually quite lovely."

- The look Buttercup gives him is priceless!

White Heat

Jimmy Cagney: "Top o' the world, Ma!!"

The Philadelphia Story

C K Dexter: "I had to hit you before he did. He's in better shape."

Mike: "Well, you'll DO."

Double Indemnity

Walter Neff: "Know why you couldn't see me? I was right across the desk from you."

Barton Keyes: "Closer than that, Walter."

Walter Neff: "I love you, too."

And one of the all-time greats -

The Heiress

Olivia deHavilland: "Oh, yes Aunt, I can be very cruel. I have been taught by masters."

• 3 weeks later...

While watching "Smart Money" (1931) on TCM today there was a funny line: Edward G. Robinson to a discruntled James Cagney "Your face is so long I'll charge you two prices for a shave".

Mongo

I like how Ginger Rogers answers James Craig's marriage proposal in Kitty Foyle[/b]:

"Do you think you can find my finger under all these blankets?" (She is holding the newborn baby he has just delivered).

In One, Two, Three, I also like how Jimmy Cagney describes Ingeborg, his secretary, after getting a whiff of her perfume --- "like all the lilacs in Lower Bavaria."

But my absolute favorites have got to be the exchanges between Humphrey Bogart and Claude Rains in Casablanca. I also like it when Captain Renaud says: "I am shocked, SHOCKED, to find out that gambling has been going on here!" Croupier aside: Here are your winnings...

These are just the few great ones I can think of...

Mary