Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favorite Movie Lines

Guest mongo

Hey there. I'm new here so I've gotta a bunch of 'em! (Some may be paraphrased)

All About Eve

George Sanders to Ann Baxter: You're too short for that gesture.

Holiday

Edward Everett Horton: My father made me quit after my first million.

Henry Daniell (very dry): You're probably joking.

It's a Wonderful Life

Sheldon Leonard: Get me! I'm givin' out wings!

Philadelphia Story

K. Hepburn: I think men are wonderful!

Ruth Hussey (snide): The dears.

And one of my all time faves, from Gay Divorcee:

Alice Brady to Ginger Rogers: Try to be sweet and feminine - if you can blend the two!

• 3 weeks later...

The all time king of quotable movies has to be Casablanca. "Here's looking at you kid", "I remember everything: the Germans wore gray, you wore blue.", "I'm SHOCKED, Shocked, to find out that there is GAMBLING going on here!", "We'll always have Paris", "Play it, Sam.You played it for her now play it for me.", " You may not regret it tommorow or the next day, but soon, and for a long time", " It doesn't take a genius to see that the problems of 3 little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world.", "This looks like the begining of a beautiful friendship." Have I forgotten any?

from Notorious...

Bergman: "This is a strange love affair."

Grant: "What's strange about it?"

Bergman: "The fact you don't love me."

from Helpmates...

Stan: "If I had any sense, I'd walk out on you."

Ollie: "Well, it's a good thing you haven't any sense."

Stan: "It certainly is!"

from Paper Moon...

Ryan: "I got scruples too, you know. You know what that is... scruples?"

Tatum: " No, I don't know what it is... but if you got 'em, it's a sure bet they belong to somebody else!"

from Sons Of The Desert...

Ollie: "Do you have to ask your wife everything?"

Stan: "Well, if I didn't ask her, I wouldn't know what she wanted me to do."

I agree with Slappy's first-billed listing in his lines from Casablanca..."Here's Looking at YOU kid". I remember asking my late mother,(a huge film buff) the significance of that particular line, and she said that it had always been a generic, inoccuous toast (e.g. "here's lookin' at ya") but never had it been directly subjective towards an individual as the emphasis on the word "you" maintains...

• 2 weeks later...

Great topic...I have a couple of favorites to add.

Calamity Jane (Doris Day) 1953:

[The singer is a man in drag.]

Wild Bill Hickok: She ain't very pretty.

Calamity Jane: That ain't all she ain't.

The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, Shirley Temple) 1947 *scene with Cary and Shirley*:

Richard Nugent: Hey, you remind me of a man.

Susan Turner: What man?

Richard Nugent: Man with the power.

Susan Turner: What power?

Richard Nugent: Power of hoodoo.

Susan Turner: Hoodoo?

Richard Nugent: You do.

Susan Turner: Do what?

Richard Nugent: Remind me of a man...

"Oh so we are going to talk about me now are we? Goody!"-Kate ( The philadelphia Story). "Oh, Hello Toppy!"-Constance Bennett ( Topper.. I LOVE that movie!!). "Is annoying people your life's mission?"-Ginger Rogers ( I cant remember which movie its from though for the life of me!). "I want to marry a rockafeller (then betty grable says) "which one?" (and marilyn monroe says back) "oh i dont care!!". ( How to Marry a Millionare).. I'll think of more later, these quotes are great though I love reading them all and then laughing!! :)

Ash*

Oh, and I don't know why this popped into my head, but this line has always made me laugh:

?I can?t take it anymore Felix, I?m cracking up. Everything you do irritates me. And when you?re not here the things I know you?re gonna do when you come home irritate me.

You leave me little notes on my pillow: I?ve told you 158 times I cannot stand little notes on my pillow!! 'We are all out of Cornflakes, F.U.? It took me three hours to figure out the F.U. was ?Felix Unger?!? Walter Matthau to Jack Lemon in The Odd Couple