Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favorite Movie Lines

Guest mongo

OH...I was so happy to find this post! I just love famous movie lines, and I thought I'd share a few of my all time favorites!

The Godfather:

"Leave the gun....take the cannoli"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prissy to Scarlett in Gone with the Wind:

"Lawdy, we got to have a doctor, I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' no babies!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The littlest Kidnappers:

"You got a lot 'o good fat on ya *baby" (*pronounced baaby)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The dad (Darren McGavin ) in Christmas Story:

"Notafinga!"

"Fra-geel-ay... it must be Italian."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert De Niro in Taxi Driver:

"You talkin' to me?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This one was mentioned before; but it?s one of my favorites too so I feel it deserves another mention?..

Wizard of Oz:

Cowardly Lion: Courage! What makes a king out of a slave? Courage! What makes the flag on the mast to wave? Courage! What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? Courage! What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder? Courage! What makes the dawn come up like thunder? Courage! What makes the Hottentot so hot? What puts the "ape" in apricot? What have they got that I ain't got?

All: Courage!

Ghost Breakers starring Bob Hope:

Pardon me, am I protruding?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All for now....I'm sure that I'll think of a few more later!

Wow, it is fun too read this string from the beginning.

Some of my favorite lines are from "The Heiress" but might not make sense out of the context of the movie. Many are delivered by Sir Ralph Richardson and they are my favorites because he speaks english so beautifully, the way I feel it was meant to be spoken.

R.R.-"So, Katherine you have found a toungue at last, and only to speak such terrible things to me"

O. DeHavilland-"Yes, this is an area where you won't compare me to my mother"

(thanks LadySusan for other great Heiress line in earlier post)

Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte has some funny ones: B.Davis to

O DeH: "What ...do...you...think...I...asked you here for, COMPANY?"

(Poor Mrs. DeHavilland gets lots of verbal down-dressing in this movie)

Moorehead to O DeH: "So your finally showing the right side of your face, huh? Well I've SEEN IT ALL ALONG"

-just a couple of VERY random picks. I guess I have Olivia DeHavilland on the brain tonight. great string ...I hope it keeps going for a long time.

Mike

Not quotes but a few memorable visuals: the "Family Truckster" from "Vacation", Capt. Over reading "Modern ****" magazine in the airport newstand in "Airplane", the last wall of the gas station collapsing after Pike (Jonathon Winters) backs into it with the tow truck in "MAD...World", the billboard with SAC's motto "Peace is Our Profession" as the bullets fly at Burpleson Air Force Base in "Dr Strangelove."

A few lines from The Ten Commandments (starring Charlton Heston). When Yul Brenner says to Edward G. Robinson "Now speaks the rat that would be my ears", and when the "voice" is describing the flight out of Egypt and finishes with ".......and also very many cattle". Don't know why but it cracks me up ;)

In "True Grit" when Maddie has just managed to shoot Tom Chaney, and she's telling him how his killing her father has ruined her family's life. He looks down at his wound, looks up and whines pathetically "Everything happens to me, and now I'm shot by a child." I must have laughed for 15 minutes the first time I saw that.

I know there are more. I'll be back....

Well since it's the season, from "A Christmas Carol" When scrooge rebuffs Marley's ghost with the idea that he is merely a bad dream brought on by "a bit of beef. A fragment of underdone potato". He assures the ghost that "There's more of gravy than of grave about you."

If you ask me I was hoping that she married the bastard and then made his life so miserable that he begged for a divorce. Also keep in mind it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Remember he (Morris) was so pathectic and vulnerable when he returned she had the perfect chance to brow beat the cad and make him her lap dog.

Come to think of it Catherine didn't have a pet.

Mongo

I'm going to use a Christmas movie for this one, namely one of my favorites "A Christmas Story".

The line is (spoken by the narrator): "My father wove a tapestry of obscenity that as far as we know is still hanging in space over Lake Michigan."

One of the reasons that I never tire of this movie is that it is so well written, and full of lines like the one above. I've always wanted to read the author's book for this reason.

FRom John Carpenter's version of "The Thing": After seeing the horrendous apparition of the Thing as it takes off after killing all the sled dogs, Kurt Russel asks Clark (Richard Masur) "What the hell was that?" Clark: "I don't know ,but it was WEIRD and ****-off!"

• 3 months later...

Just recently viewed "The Picture of Dorian Gray" (adapted from the Oscar Wilde novel) for the first time and was amused by a lot of the dialogue spoken by George Sanders in particular as Lord Henry Wotton:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037988/quotes

One of the best was "Forgive me for the intelligence of my argument; I'd forgotten that you were a Member of Parliament."

;-)

From "Torrid Zone' with Ann Sheridan, James Cagney and Edmund O'Brien.

After O'Brien yells at Sheridan and demands she packs her bags for a boat back to the states, she glares as him and says:

"The stork that brought you must have been a vulture." And Sheridan spits that out like nobody else.

"I may not amount to much in some ways, but I can be a friend."

Clark Gable to Marilyn Monroe

in THE MISFITS,

written by Arthur Miller

(Oh, if I had a dime for every woman I've used that line on in an effort, of course, to be more than just a friend!)