Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favorite Movie Lines

Guest mongo

Not a classic movie, but one of my favorite's anyway....

"The Usual Suspects"

When Kevin Spacey (Verbal Kint) is referring to the elusive Kayser Soze --

"And like that......he's gone."

The way he says it -- the gesture he uses with his hand....sends shivers up my spine!

One of my absolute favorites: from Mrs. Parkington: (Greer Garson): "But can't I dream mother?" (Mother): "Yes, I suppose so. If you don't get anywhere, at least you have the dreams."

That one is so cute. And also:

A Woman Rebels: "Don't let it fool you. Even though I'm a woman, I have brains too." (or something like that).

I See A Dark Stranger: basically the whole movie is filled with great quotes, but (man): Isn't that a little belligerent for a neutral country? (Deborah Kerr): It's entirely a question of which side I'm neutral on.

And there's so many more...

In honor of Jan Sterling who passed away on the 26th of March, here is one line from her film "Ace in the Hole" directed by Billy Wilder that is a hoot.

Jan Sterling as Lorraine telling Kirk Douglas as Tatum:

"I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons".

Also Sterling to Douglas:

"I've met some hard-boiled eggs, but you - you're twenty minutes!".

Good stuff.

Mongo

From Hud: Patricia Neal is sitting at the bus stop waiting to get out of town. Paul Newman says to her: " Your not gonna let that little fracas last nite run you off are ya." "Just as fast as my legs'll carry me."...I usually don't have to get rough with my women." "You're rough on EVERYBODY."

In the movie Titanic with Stanwyck and Clifton Webb,Richard Basehart plays a defrocked priest returning home .As the ship is sinking,he is about to enter the engine room to help some trapped workers.He is told "For Gods sake Father,dont go in there",and he replies "For Gods sake I am going in!" and he perishes. A moving moment in this very good film.

I love the Stanwyck/Webb Titanic, roldfilm! I had to've watched it 50 times since I was about 12. That part was pretty good, but I think some of the other dialogue in that movie fell a bit flat...

My favorite movie line is when Claude Rains says:

"ROUND UP THE USUAL SUSPECTS" in the movie

"Casablanca" No one movie line of diaglogue has ever

gotten so much imitation & attention through so many

years of cinema!........

O.K., this isn't my favorite movie line, but it's the funniest I've seen in a while. I saw it again, remembering it, when I watched the excellent "MGM: When the Lion Roared" documentary shown recently on TCM.

It's from the movie "Boom Town", so correct me if I don't get it just right O.K., antar ;-)

SPOILER *** it's near the end of the movie

Clark Gable: "you're going to stay here with me if I have to lick ya"

Claudette Colbert: "of course I'll stay ... you can lick me if it'll help"

Bette Davis cracked me up with the following lines in "All About Eve", in which she played Margo Channing:

"That's why I don't understand all these plays about love-starved southern women...love was something we were NEVER starved for in the south!" LOL,

"Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

and when Max Fabian tells her he's a dying man, she replies with "not until the last drugstore has sold its last pill!"

Oh, and when she was depressed and drinking heavily during a welcome home party for her boyfriend, he comes over and says something about the music being too sad and remarks that some of the guests would like to know where the body was being laid out...to which she says "it isn't being laid out...we aren't finished with the embalming yet." ROTFL!

A new one, from a great movie I saw for the first time last night, Hold Back the Dawn ...

Charles Boyer's character says "we Europeans hold the institution of marriage as sacred"

whether in the context of the film or not, an hilarious utterance!

From-- Scent of A Woman:

Lt. Col. Slade (Al Pacino), describing his relations:

He's a mechanic with the IQ of a beauty queen; she bakes cookies that taste like wing-nuts. As for their tots, they're twits!

I love any witty line dripping with sarcasm (George Sanders was a master!)

Dini

I just watch "Midnight" with Claudette Colbert and she

had a hilarious line about her eccentric father-in-law

"When we were married,the only thing he sent us was one roller skate smothered in 1000 island salad dressing"

If you haven't seen it it is a must

Just watched a great film, "Old Acquaintance", another successful teaming of Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins (though not as good as "The Old Maid", IMO), in which Hopkins's character becomes a trashy, yet successful, novelist shortly after she is reunited with her childhood friend (Ms. Davis) when her critically acclaimed first novel is published.

Anne Revere plays a reporter who comments to Ms. Davis's character that at least when she does publish a book that it's a good thing and not "like grinding out some sausage".

She then recognizes that Ms. Hopkins's character (to whom she was obviously, yet inadvertantly referring) has overheard and she says "maybe I should just slit my throat"

to which Ms. Hopkins's character replies "well, there's a knife on that table over there";-)

This may be very controversal, its not even my favorite I just think its a clever line, Blazing Saddles where the two main charaters are playing the bait to lure the **** members, "Yoo hoo boys," "Hey where all the white women at". That just ticked the **** members off so much, a "sissy" man and a black man who (in their minds) wanted to mess with "their" women.

• 2 weeks later...

one of my favorite lines that I still use to this day when I'm in a smarta** mood is from the movie" Arthur"

with Dudley Moore. Arthur tells his butler {John Gielgud

I believe} that he is going to take a bath, when the butler replies "I'll alert the media" English humour

Ya gotta love it.

The only scene I liked from "So I Married an Axe Murderer": Mike Myers as a crabby Scotsman complaining that his son's immense skull blocked his view of the TV. "HEAD!!! Down in front! That boy's got an ENORMOUS cranium. Size of Sputnik!" All devlivered in his patented Fat **** accent.

From "The Little Foxes" Regina (annoyed) to her servant: "Cal, the grits is cold. Take it back."

Cal: "Yes'm." (He grabs the plate then runs quickly toward the kitchen) "The grits didn't hold the heat! The grits didn't hold the heat!"