Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your Favorite Movie Lines

Guest mongo

In PILLOW TALK when Rock Hudson is talking to a girl on the line and Doris Day interrupts. Rock says: "That's just some woman trying to brighten up her drab life by listening in on my conversations."

And Doris replies: "If I could get a call through now and then my life wouldn't be so drab!" LOL

• 2 weeks later...

from L.A. Confidential:

Ed Exley: "I wanted to catch the guys who thought they could get away with it. It's supposed to be about justice. Then somewhere along the way, I lost sight of that. Why'd you become a cop?"

Jack Vincennes (obviously thinking of the innocent killed the night before and the part he played for $50): "I don't remember." Three words delivered by Kevin Spacey with such heart-wrenching guilt and sadness and regret.

from Ghosts of Mississippi:

Bobby DeLaughter has reopened the 1963 murder case of Medgar Evers, a black civil rights leader shot in the back in his own driveway. Bobby's wife, Dixie, has been against his involvement in the case as she is worried how this will affect her social standing within the upperclass white community. She has decided to leave him as he persists in prosecuting the 30-year-old case.

Dixie: "What happened? When did we stop loving each other?"

Bobby: "People change."

Dixie: "Are you saying that I've changed?"

Bobby: "I'm saying you haven't."

Just stumbled onto this thread ... mind if I add a couple?

When Harry Met Sally: "I'll have what she's having."

Young Frankenstein: "Damn your eyes!" "Too late."

Singin' In The Rain: "I got more money than Calvin Coolidge ... put togetheh!"

• 2 months later...

Here are two good lines from Rita Hayworth as "Miss Sadie Thompson":

"Relax, fellas, You'll wear out your bearings".

"Come on in and get wrung out".

I just got finished watching the movie and Hayworth was something else.

Mongo

From "First Blood" Richard Crenna telling the sheriff (Brian Dehnnehy) " That'll look great on his tombstone: 'Here lies John Rambo, winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor, survivor of countless incursions behind enemy lines, killed for vagrancy in Jerkwater U.S.A!"

Of course my favorite line of all time is:

George Burns: "Say Goodnight Gracie".

Gracie Allen: "Goodnight".

But I also love the closing monologue from Spencer Tracy in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner:

Spencer Tracy: Now Mr. Prentice, clearly a most reasonable man, says he has no wish to offend me but wants to know if I'm some kind of a *nut*. And Mrs. Prentice says that like her husband I'm a burned-out old shell of a man who cannot even remember what it's like to love a woman the way her son loves my daughter. And strange as it seems, that's the first statement made to me all day with which I am prepared to take issue... cause I think you're wrong, you're as wrong as you can be. I admit that I hadn't considered it, hadn't even thought about it, but I know exactly how he feels about her and there is nothing, absolutely nothing that you son feels for my daughter that I didn't feel for Christina. Old- yes. Burned-out- certainly, but I can tell you the memories are still there- clear, intact, indestructible, and they'll be there if I live to be 110.

I love the rest of his monologue but of course it is too long. I know this is not just a line but to me it seems that he was actually speaking to Katharine Hepburn and not her character when he says these things it was so powerful and I cry each and every time I see this scene.

How about some great lines from The Princess Bride?

When Westley sucessfully completes the challenging tasks placed before him and then frustrated Vizzini remarks, "That's inconceivable!

After Vizzini makes this remark after Inigo Montoya says to him, "I don't think that word means what you think it means."

What about when Inigo confronts his father's murderer, "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father...Prepare to die!"

Or when Vizzini says to Fezzik the giant, "Would you like to go back to where you were before I found you...unemployed in GREENLAND?"

Or right before Princess Buttercup is about to commit suicide and Westley who has come to rescue her says something like, "There are so few pairs of perfect breasts in this world, it would be a shame to ruin yours."

While watching "Night and Day" on TCM today I caught a cute line:

Monty Woolley talking to Jane Wyman while referring to Cary Grant: "He Probably wants to be alone. Haven't you ever wanted to be alone?

Jane Wyman responds: "Yes...but with somebody".

Mongo

You guys have me cracking up with these lines. Here's one of my favorites, from a 20th Century Fox film, A LETTER TO THREE WIVES:

Ann Sothern (looking at a photo of Jeanne Crain: "Funny, she doesn't look like she was raised on a farm."

Kirk Douglas: "Well darling, I'm sure she took the hay out of her mouth before taking the picture."

I have a couple:

"I'd love to kiss ya' but I just washed my hair"..Bette Davis.

"That would be a major blunder Major Folly"...James Earl Jones...Swashbuckler

'Hold on to your seats, It's going to be a bumpy night"...B. Davis..

"You now how to whistle, just put your lips together and blow"....Lauren Bacall to Humphrey Bogart

"We'll always have Paris"...Bogart

"I am shocked, shocked to learn that gambling is going on here"...Claude Raines

"Don't get out of the boat'...Frederick Forrester in Apocalyse Now

and of course..."We are going to need a bigger boat"...Roy Scheider...Jaws

Too many more...anything Tracy, any thing William Powell...

I have a couple:

"I'd love to kiss ya' but I just washed my hair"..Bette Davis.

"That would be a major blunder Major Folly"...James Earl Jones...Swashbuckler

'Hold on to your seats, It's going to be a bumpy night"...B. Davis..

"You now how to whistle, just put your lips together and blow"....Lauren Bacall to Humphrey Bogart

"We'll always have Paris"...Bogart

"I am shocked, shocked to learn that gambling is going on here"...Claude Raines

"Don't get out of the boat'...Frederick Forrester in Apocalyse Now

and of course..."We are going to need a bigger boat"...Roy Scheider...Jaws

Too many more...anything Tracy, any thing William Powell...

In The Apartment I like the line Fran says while crying in CC's apartment "if you are going to see a married man you shouldn't wear mascara" and the "shut-up and deal" line by Fran and all the wises CC says cookiewise and etc. but my favorite is how CC tells Fran what he knows about her from her file and mentions she's had an appendectomy and she tells him to keep that info to himself so no one will get the wrong impression as to how he found out.

Ginger Rogers delivered one of my fave bitchy put-downs:

In "Shall We Dance," she's just married Fred Astaire for convenience, and they've returned to their separate-but-adjoining hotel rooms. Because he earlier sang "They Can't Take That Away From Me" to her, she decides she wants to spend her wedding night with him after all (wouldn't you melt?). But when she opens the connecting door, she finds a female former colleague of his (unwanted by him, but persistent) stroking his hair and cooing at him. He awkwardly introduces the two women, and they politely trade barbs. Ginger's rival (Ketti Gallian) coolly says, "I must say that you're more intelligent than you look." And Ging answers, "Why, thank you. I wish I could say the same of you."

I know it's not a classic film, but it is from one of my favorite romantic comedeies. In "The Sure Thing" Gib (John Cusack) is checking out a fellow classmate Alison (Daphne Zuniga). Gib asks a friend he's play football with. "What do you think of Alison?"

friend "Cute, but she's out of league."

Gib "what's that suppose to mean"

friend "She smart - you aren't"

Gib "hey I'm doing okay"

Friend "Man, you're flunking english - your mother tongue!"

One of my favorite things to do is randomly quote movie lines. For some reason i get a kick out of Ben Stiller movies. Recently, it's been Dodgeball:

*Ben Stiller: "You're their Fonzie, right? Heeeey."

and

*"You're going down, LeFleur! you're going down like a sweet muffin! I wouldn't sell Globo Gym to you for all of King Midas's silver!"

But, classic movies are my favorite, and my favorite of all favorite movies is of course, Gone with the Wind

Scarlett: "Sir, you are no gentleman!'

Rhett: "And YOU, miss, are no lady. Don't think I hold that against you. Real ladies have never held any charm for me."

Scarlett: 'Cathleen, who's that?"

Cathleen Calvert: "Who?"

Scarlett: "That man looking at us and smiling. The nasty, dark one."

Cathleen: "My dear, don't you know? That's Rhett Butler. He's from Charleston, and he's got the most terrible reputation."

Scarlett: "He looks as if--as if he knows what i look like without my shimmy!"

Rhett: "You need kissing, badly, that's what's wrong with you! you should be kissed, and often, and by someone who knows how."

Rhett: 'You sort of shocked the Confederacy, Scarlett."

Scarlett: "It's a little bit like blockade running, isn't it?"

Rhett: "It's worse. I expect a very fancy profit out of you."

Scarlett: "Oh, I don't care what you expect or what they think! I get to dance and dance! Tonight I wouldn't mind dancing with Abe Lincoln himself!"

There's tons of other lines from this and other movies I could come up with, but I'd take up a whole page, LOL.

-Kendra

In To Be or Not to Be they show the stage troop rehearsing and they are dressed as Nazis and the "hitler " guy walks in and of course you hear the Hail Hitlers and then Hitler guy says as he raises his hand "hail me" and it is not as funny probably written down as it is to see it on the screen. The kids and I rolled though because it was so silly and one can hear him saying it since they always parroted it hail Hitler. I guess it has to be thrown in with the hilarious Springtime for Hitler from The Producers.