Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Charley's Aunt

MaryLyn2

But which version is going to be shown? The TCM Monthly Guide says it's the Jack Benny version from 1941, while the DirectTV guide says it's the Ruggles. Since they're both roughly the same length, the allotted time is the same, so I guess it'll be a surprise. I'd like to see either one, since they're rarely, if ever aired.

Well I'll have to stop relying on the "Now Playing" magazine and keep my eye on the website schedule. I thought it was the 1940's version playing tonight and since I'm not a fan of Jack Benny I decided to skip it. As I turned on the TV in anticipation of watching "Son Of Frankenstein" I was shocked that TCM was playing the 1930 version with Charles Ruggles. They had never shown this movie before. Had I known this I would have taped it as I only saw the last 10 minutes of the film.

I hope they will play it again soon so I can tape it. Now I'm mad that I missed it.

>Unfortunately, however, you won't be able to see it when you "see" it. As far as I can recall, this is absolutely the worst print....of any movie that I have ever seen in my entire lifetime!

In this particular case, the film was so funny, the print quality did not matter.

There comes a time in every man's life when he feels like acting silly, such as the way Groucho Marx acted in his early films. And when Ruggles acted silly in this film, he was very funny. I wish I had recorded it.

As Fred says, "In this particular case, the film was so funny, the print quality did not matter.".

Sometimes a movie is so entertaining it transcends the bad print of it we may be watching. I think this ancient version of *Charley's Aunt* is a case in point. Well, "transcends" may be a bit lofty-sounding for such a slapstick farce, but the film certainly is worth viewing whether what's available is a good or a terrible copy.

I didn't think I'd laugh at it, figuring the movie was simply too old and creaky to be amusing. I was wrong, thought it was truly funny. "Just goes to show" I should always keep an open mind.

> {quote:title=musikone wrote:}{quote}

> Unfortunately, however, you won't be able to see it when you "see" it. As far as I can recall, this is absolutely the worst print (far worse then The Santa Fe trail shown just ahed of it) of any movie that I have ever seen in my entire lifetime! So all of you out there stop fawning over it and ask for something that is worth your effort to wish for!!!

>

> Here is yet another print that is *WORSE THAN UNACCEPTABLE.*

>

To many of us who have seen a lot worse, it wasn't THAT bad. Having seen much worse, I was perfectly fine with it. I appreciated TCM bringing it to us.

I guess when it comes to cases like the 1930 CHARLEY'S AUNT where this may be all there is, you have to decide "Would you rather never see it at all or see it in less than perfect quality?"