Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Santa Fe Trail

Dmallon

I completely agree with you Dmallon. That print of Santa Fe Trail was so bad it was ridiculous.How do they (TCM) expect to win over new and younger classic movie fans? I have been trying for years to get one of my daughters to like and appreciate old classic movies. With this print of Santa Fe Trail Jennifer wouldn't sit still for 5 minutes, and frankly I wouldn't blame her. I know I have seen this movie on TCM before with a much better print. What gives? Is TCM tightening their budget like the rest of us?

Please TCM if you can't show a classic film with at least a good print don't show it at all.

Thanks

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}With this one and Charley's Aunt, can't we just call it

> Worn-out Print Night

> and leave it at that?

Hi, I'm Robert Osborne. Tonight as our second Bob's pick, we intended to show you THE SON OF FRANKENSTEIN, but we couldn't afford, errr, I mean, we couldn't get the rights to it. That darn Universal hits 100 years old and suddenly they think the value has gone up on all of their films.

So, instead we bring you FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER, a chiller from 1958. The film has a unique pedigree outside the Frankenstein family. It stars Sandra Knight who was once Mrs Jack Nicholson and it also has Harold Lloyd, Jr and Robert Dix, the lookalike son of Richard Dix.

Also in the cast is Felix Locher, the father of Jon Hall and no doubt, Jon was glad that he wasn't a lookalike for his father.

The star of the film is John Ashley, who isn't related to anybody but he must have had the goods on someone as they also let him sing in the film. We can all thank our stars that he later went into production.

In keeping with tonight's theme, our copy comes from a worn-out Alpha Video VHS tape that we've transferred to digital with a machine that we got at WalMart.

Good one clore! You made me laugh with your post.

"The star of the film is John Ashley, who isn't related to anybody but he must have had the goods on someone as they also let him sing in the film. We can all thank our stars that he later went into production."

Too funny. Thanks I needed a good laugh today.

+Lori3 wrote:I completely agree with you Dmallon. That print of Santa Fe Trail was so bad it was ridiculous.How do they (TCM) expect to win over new and younger classic movie fans? I have been trying for years to get one of my daughters to like and appreciate old classic movies. With this print of Santa Fe Trail Jennifer wouldn't sit still for 5 minutes, and frankly I wouldn't blame her. I know I have seen this movie on TCM before with a much better print. What gives? Is TCM tightening their budget like the rest of us?

Please TCM if you can't show a classic film with at least a good print don't show it at all.

Thanks+

What on earth are you thanking them for?

This quality is *LOWER THAN UNACCEPTABLE.*

Let's have the one who is responsible for this catastrophe come here and defend his/her choice. But look out for the rotten eggs and tomatoes as you come on stage!

musikone

Huh, musikone. I was in no way thanking TCM or the person who is responsible for the horrible print of Santa Fe Trail.

I just tend to end all my e-mails, posts etc with "Thanks."

Sorry, blame on my parents for raising me say Thank you and Thanks. "Oh will the wounds of my childhood ever end?"

Thanks!

I also tend to end my emails with "thanks." Obviously, if said email contains a complaint, the "thanks" is for reading your complaint, and thanking them in advance, for doing something about it. Being friendly and polite is almost always more effective than ranting, raving, and being rude to people, especially when you want them to do something for you.

Always considered "Santa Fe Trail" a very under rated film. It tacked a touchy subject for the times and while as far as history is concerned it leaves much to be desired, but is is a well made rousing good film with some fine acting with Raymond Massey stealing the film.Massey appeared again as Brown in "Seven Angry Men".

It's sad considering Turner Entertainment released a VHS version in the 1990's using the original negatives. With that said maybe the should have borrowed a print from Netflix, it looks a whole lot better then what I saw today.... :(

The only thing worse than that print was the choice of Ronald Reagan as Custer. Now, in spite of my politics, I've stated that I always thought Ronnie was a good actor. But NO actor can do EVERYthing. And shouldn't.

But if anyone remembers, I had a thread in which I mentioned seeing an actor as a member of the crew in *The Sea Hawk* that reminded me of a young James Arness. But as Jim's career didn't start until five or so years AFTER that movie's release, it couldn't have been. So I asked if anyone knew just who I was talking about and got no replies. Well, that man was in this movie. Turns out it was William Lundigan. Maybe none of you agree, but I think he sort of resembles Arness in a way.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> The only thing worse than that print was the choice of Ronald Reagan as Custer. Now, in spite of my politics, I've stated that I always thought Ronnie was a good actor. But NO actor can do EVERYthing. And shouldn't.

:D:D:D

Perhaps because of my politics, I've always thought of Raygun Ronnie playing Custer as type-casting. But then, I've never thought of him as a good actor. I think the source of my bias was when I was a little kid, Reagan replaced the Old Ranger as host of Death Valley Days, one of my favorite shows. I loved the Old Ranger, and thus hated Ronnie.

>Unfortunately, Santa Fe Trail is a public domain film, so there are a lot of bad copies out there.

Public domain it may be, but Warner's has good elements in its vault and could certainly produce a very acceptable transfer. They just don't, probably in part because it's in the public domain and would not profit them.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}

> So, instead we bring you FRANKENSTEIN'S DAUGHTER, a chiller from 1958. The film has a unique pedigree outside the Frankenstein family. It stars Sandra Knight who was once Mrs Jack Nicholson and it also has Harold Lloyd, Jr and Robert Dix, the lookalike son of Richard Dix.

>

> Also in the cast is Felix Locher, the father of Jon Hall and no doubt, Jon was glad that he wasn't a lookalike for his father.

>

>

> The star of the film is John Ashley, who isn't related to anybody but he must have had the goods on someone as they also let him sing in the film. We can all thank our stars that he later went into production.

>

You left out Playmate Sally Todd, which is the only reason to watch this bomb. By the way, the female monster in this flick is played by a man.

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}

> You left out Playmate Sally Todd, which is the only reason to watch this bomb. By the way, the female monster in this flick is played by a man.Was Sally Todd a playmate? I haven't seen the film in close to 50 years and while I know of some such as Mara Corday and June Wilkinson who were in the magazine and also acted, I can't say that I've ever heard that Todd has that on her resume - or should I say data sheet?