Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix to Groove To!!! Week of April 9th!!

markbeckuaf

Flix to Groove to on TCM!!! Week of April 9th!!

Another groovy week ahead on TCM, but first a shoutout for a Carl Theodor Dreyer double decker tonight, LEAVES FROM SATAN'S BOOK (1919), and DAY OF WRATH (1943)!! If you like your films heavy on the metaphysical you will dig these!!

Monday is one of those really groovy days on TCM!!! Most of the day is spent in the 1930's even into the prime-time for Bob's picks, and that rocks the house! Daytime we are treated to Paul Muni and Karen Morley in BLACK FURY (1935), followed by Jimmy Cagney, Pat O'Brien and the yummy Margaret Lindsay in DEVIL DOGS OF THE AIR (1935)!!! My main man Robert Armstrong and the sassy dame Glenda Farrell star next in LITTLE BIG SHOT (1935), it's sentimental but groovy!!! Then it's a 30s mystery, yeah!!!, MURDER IN THE FLEET (1935) with a young Robert Taylor, Jean Parker, and Ted Healy!! A Ken Maynard double oater dip is next with AVENGING WATERS (1936), then THE CATTLE THIEF (1936)!! Next up is a flick I've always wanted to see, but have never, THE MAN WHO LIVED TWICE (1936), with Ralph Bellamy, the lovely Marian Marsh, and Ward Bond!!! Can't wait for this one! And next, a flick I've seen only once a long, long time ago on TCM, MUSS 'EM UP (1936), with Preston Foster as a tough as nails detective! What a groovy day, and it's not over yet, cos Bob's Picks are rocking out all night long as well, with flicks such as CHARLEY'S AUNT (1930), with Charles Ruggles, a flick I'm looking forward to, definitely! Universal Horror joins the party, with SON OF FRANKENSTEIN (1939), foreshadowing the way Universal would turn with it's horror franchise, starring Boris Karloff himself in his final turn as The Monster, Basil Rathbone, Bela Lugosi in an outstanding performance as Ygor, and my main man Lionel Atwill!! Bob is also grooving hard with THEODORA GOES WILD (1936) and MR. DEEDS GOES TO TOWN (1936)!! Rockin' day!!

Tuesday grooves for me are Lionel Barrymore and Sir Cedric Hardwicke, along with Beulah Bondi, in ON BORROWED TIME (1939)! Lionel again along with the gorgeous Marsha Hunt and Edward Arnold in THE PENALTY (1941)!!

Guest Programmer Anthony Bourdain rocks the house with his first two picks: THE SEARCHERS (1956), The Duke's finest film among many! And a flick I've not seen before, EYES WITHOUT A FACE (1960)!! Grisly and groovy!!

On the range with Randolph Scott is what Wednesday daytime is all about, with flix like TRAIL STREET (1947), BELLE STARR (1941), RIDE LONESOME (1959), AND COLT .45 (1950), plus lots more, a 9 film marathon!!! The evening is devoted to Peter O'Toole, and the interview with Mr. O'Toole is the highlight of the evening for me! Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival, that's rockin'!!!

I'm grooving early on Thursday morning, with Milton Berle, Parkyakarkus (what a moniker!!!), and Joe Penner in NEW FACES OF 1937!!! Followed by the Marx Bros themselves along with Lucille Ball, in ROOM SERVICE (1938)! Laughs a plenty!

Friday night in prime time is a happy anniversary fest with CASABLANCA (1942)!! Part of the 70th anniversary celebration of this great flick!!! Bogie, Lorre, Bergman, Rains....it's truly one of the all time greats and never gets old for me!

Wow another totally groovy Saturday, kickin' it off with Pat O'Brien and Josephine Hutchinson in I MARRIED A DOCTOR (1936) followed by two of the best horror spoofs ever!!! YOU'LL FIND OUT (1940) a Kay Kyser vehicle, but it's most remembered for bringing together Bela Lugosi, Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre in a horror comedy!! Lorre, in particular, has some GREAT dry comedic lines! And of course, the master of them all, ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948), with Bela, Lon Jr, and the boys mixing it up with the lovely Lenore Aubert! Next up is this week's Boston **** flick, THE CHANCE OF A LIFETIME (1943) with Chester Morris! And Herman Brix (or better known as Bruce Bennett) in another jungle adventure, TARZAN AND THE GREEN GODDESS (1938)!!

Saturday night tributes music by William Alwyn, and includes some great flix such as THE FALLEN IDOL (1948), GREEN FOR DANGER (1946), and ODD MAN OUT (1947), with James Mason!!

Sunday night caps off a very groovy week with two versions of the well known tale, A STAR IS BORN (1937) is first, with Frederic March, Janet Gaynor and Adolphe Menjou!!! Followed by an earlier version, WHAT PRICE HOLLYWOOD? (1932), with my main man, Lowell Sherman, the absolutely drop dead glamour girl, Constance Bennett, and Neil Hamilton!!! My favorite version of the story!!! And for the Silent Sunday feature, we're totally freaking to a block of Harold Lloyd shorts, including ASK FATHER (1919), AMONG THOSE PRESENT (1921), HAUNTED SPOOKS (1920), and GET OUT AND GET UNDER (1920)!! Rock out!

Another totally grooving week!! Thank you, TCM, for all these awesome viewing events!!

> What a groovy day, and it's not over yet, cos Bob's Picks are rocking out all night long as well, with flicks such as CHARLEY'S AUNT (1930), with Charles Ruggles, a flick I'm looking forward to, definitely!

Mark: I'm not sure that we're going to see the 1930 version of Charley's Aunt. The daily schedule says 1930 but the monthly schedule says it is the 1941 version with Jack Benny. I find the 1941 version more likely since that one is already restored and is/was on DVD. I have a copy of the 1930 version from a now defunct online entity and that film is in rough shape since it is an early talkie Paramount. It would be a major restoration effort to get it up to the quality level that TCM usually airs in primetime.

The 1941 version also has quite a few stars recognizable to at least most classic movie fans - Jack Benny, Anne Baxter, Kay Francis, and Edmund Gwenn.

> {quote:title=calvinnme wrote:}{quote}

> > What a groovy day, and it's not over yet, cos Bob's Picks are rocking out all night long as well, with flicks such as CHARLEY'S AUNT (1930), with Charles Ruggles, a flick I'm looking forward to, definitely!

> Mark: I'm not sure that we're going to see the 1930 version of Charley's Aunt. The daily schedule says 1930 but the monthly schedule says it is the 1941 version with Jack Benny. I find the 1941 version more likely since that one is already restored and is/was on DVD. I have a copy of the 1930 version from a now defunct online entity and that film is in rough shape since it is an early talkie Paramount.

Although it wouldn’t quite fit on the marquee, the full title of tonight’s theme is *Bob Picks Movies by Flipping a Coin on Live Television*. If his coin comes up 1930, such a pounding you will hear at your door.

Of course, they might just show The Monkey’s Uncle.