Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Please Don't Eat the Daisies/ tying up the babysitter?

TonyNYC

I recorded this old classic a couple of days ago and though it's been a long time since I've seen it, wasn't there a scene in the beginning when Doris Day and David Niven come home and their three sons have tied up their babysitter Irene Tedrow (Congresswoman Gettys from the Mary Tyler Moore show!)? I don't know why I'm remembering that- isn't right after when they come home from their evening out and the boys are waiting for them in the apartment elevator. I can't imaging why the next scene would be edited out... Thanks for any replies!

I've seen a few films where the babysitter gets tied up, but I don't think they're TCM material.

Please Don't Eat The Dasies was a tv series. A local station in my hometown, (Detroit area) showed it way back in the 70's. All I remember is the Theme song. One of the actors in it was Mark Miller, the father of Penelope Ann Miller, (who was in Adventures In Babysitting hey full circle.)

They had the kid in an upside down playpen in both the movie AND TV show. And in the movie, they also had him in a closed in and LOCKED bed. You're right in saying it wouldn't play in today's atmosphere. But to many of us who have raised children, some of the measures that were taken in that movie came off as "fantasy-humorous". Meaning the laugh came in the form of appreciating the desire to take those measures. I can't begin to tell you how many times the idea of locking my kids in a cage seemed a good one. And many parents, upon seeing those things in the movie for the first time, had a good laugh about it all. After all, the movie WAS a comedy, NOT a "Toys in the Attic" type thriller. So it likely wasn't considered as abuse. Except these days, one could go to jail for sending the brat to bed without supper.

When the movie came out, the extreme bad behavior of the boys was an exaggeration. These days however, I see that kind of behavior for real in too many households.

Sepiatone

I am thinking that the tied-up babysitter is in a different film. Perhaps *My Six Loves* which also revolves around a theater/Broadway household?

For some reason I can picture Eileen Heckart being tied to a chair.

Kyle In Hollywood

Not to be a smart A** Sepiatone, but the movie/book series where the kids get locked in the attic by a derange mom is Flowers In The Attic. I've never read the book but it was popular when I was in middle school.