Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[i]Overheard On The Boulevard[/i] - The 2012 Film Festival

Sunday's screening of *The Thief Of Bagdad* will be showing off the recently completed restoration of the film that is to be released in the coming months.

The home Howard Hawks had built forhimself in Beverly Hills was a near replica of the "country cottage" from *Bringing Up Baby*. And that home is still standing.

TCM and "Now Playing" is quite popular with the incarcerated. It seems the channel, with its non-inciteful content, is made available in many jails and prisons across the country and this has created quite the fan base for TCM.

Once again the Commemorative Program for the TCM Classic Film Festival is a work of art worthy of the coffee tables of any Classic Film Fan. The specially textured cover is particularly nice - for which Jennifer Lopez deserves all the credit! I've never before held a piece of paper that felt like suede leather.

The two most beautifully dressed women to walk the Red Carpet Thursday were decked out in custom-made gowns designed by Adrian - one from *The Women* and one from *The Philadelphia Story*. The Countess and Cheryl were style incarnate.

"Up went my hand just like a third grader!" - Vice-President of Studio Production Sean Cameron in response to Peter O'Toole's dinner party inquiry if anyone was going to join him in a glass of wine.

On a dark and stormy night in Hollywood, the throngs are eagerly anticipating a timely screening of *The Wolf Man* in 35mm. Film Festival Special Guest Rick Baker, the master of make-up, may be more excited than anyone as he has never seen the film on the Big Screen.

"TCM is not just a television channel. It is a lifestyle." - TCM President Jeff Gregor

Another "TCM Night At The Movies" is coming in October with a look at political films. And a documentary is in the works profiling Darryl F. Zanuck.

Demographically, 66% percent of TCM's audience is between the ages of 18 and 49. TCM doesn't have to alter its programming on the channel to attract them. It turns out they are already viewers. And the dominant ones, at that.

"Find Me A Dress!" - lucky Festival-goer who got invited to the *Cabaret* Gala at the last minute. And the stylish women of the Festival came through fabulously! You looked great Cathy.

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Apr 13, 2012 5:57 AM

Chief,

I just have to add:

"On the inside, I'm Steve McQueen, on the outside, not so much." Tom Brown, at the *Meet the Staff* presentation.

Tom,

You are always TCM's King of Cool!!!

As for the Countessdelave and Cheryl, they were style personified. Their dresses, from designs by Adrian, were exquisite.

And I agree totally with you about Cathy. She looked great! Hope she, the Countess and Cheryl had a terrific time at *Cabaret* and the Vanity Fair party.

They are three who truly fit the Style theme to a T!

Edited by: lzcutter on Apr 13, 2012 7:08 AM

*"As for the Countessdelave and Cheryl, they were style personified. Their dresses, from designs by Adrian, were exquisite."* - lzcutter

They sure were.

2012_PaulaCherylAfterParty

CountessDeLave and Cheryl with LindaSnyder-Sterne, daughter of Anita Page, at the Vanity Fair After Party.

Photo Courtesy TCM Facebook Page

After Ben Mankiewicz's remarkable and inspiring pre- *20,000 Leagues...* conversation with Kirk Douglas about the Blacklist, many are thinking a series of films spotlighting the Blacklist era would be a great addition to a future Classic Film Festival. (2013? Hint, Hint.)

Hopefully the Disney fans at the *20,000 Leagues ...* screening weren't disappointed in the blacklist conversation and were just as thrilled when Douglas broke into song. What a "Whale Of A Tale" they have to tell.

Mr. and Mrs. Cutter did the San Fernando Valley proud with their "Fans On The Boulevard" interview Friday evening.

If anyone meets TCM'er Christian Hamman at the Film Festival, make sure and gush over her newest TCM promotional interstitial, "Spring Is Here". It is a beauty! Especially the long version.

Paging "David In Seattle". Where are you? I've been waiting by the pool. And I am thirsty.

Festival buddies 'kingrat' and 'YancyCravat' are playing out the Film Festival version of "Same Time, Next Year" picking up their friendship right where they left off last year.

Cocktails, "Mad Men" costumer Janie Bryant and great conversation kept a certain duo at the Vanity Fair party long after most everyone else had gone home. And why not? When will _that_ opportunity arise again in one's life?

"Tears make for good television." - Charlie Tabesh to 'lzcutter', 2009. If that's true, then "Kim Novak at the 2012 Classic Film Festival" will be great television.

Is it asking too much to have girls popping out of cakes at "TCM's 18th Birthday Party" in Club TCM Saturday evening?

Copy of SinginInTheRainStill01LRG

No, it doesn't have to be Debbie Reynolds. But, boy, would it be legendary if she did!

TCM's own King of Cool, Tom Brown pulled the hosting duties for *Wings*, the restored version, and introduced A..C. Lyles as "Mr Paramount". I promise to come back later tonight to tell the rest of that story.

The restoration was great, by far the best print I have ever seen of the film and the vintage score was terrific. Ben Burtt has added battle sounds to the war footage and plane sounds, used very effectively in the scene with Gary Cooper, so if you are silent film purist, be aware.

"My father was Wild Bill, I'm Mild Bill." Bill Wellman, Jr being introduced by Tom Brown after the screening. More later!

"I have to tell ya, I'm friggin' nervous" Ben M confided to the audience as he prepared to introduce Kirk Douglas at the screening of *20,000 Leagues Under the Sea*.

The crowd roared and jumped to their feet as Kirk Douglas took the stage.

Ben did just fine and even got Douglas to sing the first verse of A Whale of a Tale. They talked at length about Douglas and the breaking of the backlist. Kirk has a new book coming out this summer called I am Sparatcus about the making of the film and his decision to credit Dalton Trumbo on screen.

"Sweet Mystery of Life at last I've found you"- Once again TCM's King of Cool, Tom Brown singing as he approached the stage to introduce Mel Brooks at the screening of *Young Frankenstein*.

He asked the audience how many had seen *Frankenstein* and *Son of Frankenstein* earlier in the day. Hands all around the theater shot up. "You may be feeling like you have a case of whiplash before this film is over." he told them.

As part of the "housekeeping" announcements, he reminded people to turn off their cell phones and to refrain from taking pictures of the screen during the movie.

"If you take a picture of a projected image, you get nothing. Besides, you can buy this film on DVD."

Mel was in terrific form. He told the story about seeing the original *Frankenstein* in 1931 when he was 5 years old. He was afraid that the monster would climb through the fire escape window of the family's 5th story apartment, kill him and eat him.

That is till his mother explained that the monster would have to take a train from Translyvania, then a boat across the ocean, the subway to Brooklyn and would likely go after the first floor neighbors before climbing five flights of the fire escape.

He then told the story of how Gene Wilder was writing the script during the filming of *Blazing Saddles*.

"I love you guys, but you're nuts!" Mel said at the end of his discussion.

The movie was on 35mm film and as pitch perfect as it was 38 years ago when it was originally released.

Coming out of the screening we ran into Scott McGee whose voice was already getting raspy. He told us that the print of *The Searchers* which screened earlier in the morning against *Wings* was gorgeous!

"On the naming of the dwarfs, there was supposed to be one named Awful. According to the notes, 'he drinks, he steals and he is always dirty'" Disney historian JB Kaufman giving a presentation to Spotlight passholders this morning at breakfast. Thanks to the kindness of filmlover, I was able to get to the Roosevelt in time for JB's presentation this morning (MrCutter had to take care of the feeding of the baby turtles this morning).

As the author of JB's PowerPoint presentation, I was able to attend his presentation. He did a terrific job of talking about some of the lesser known stories about the making of *Snow White*. Also, Becky Cline from the Disney Studio Archives was there and brought one of the models of the Nautilus from *20,000 Leagues* as part of her presentation.

All in all, two terrific presentations and hopefully, successful enough that TCM will consider dong more of them next year.

I wanted to get over to the Chinese multiplex to hear Walter Mirisch talk about *Fall Guy* but the Kim Novak hand and foot print ceremony was going on in the forecourt of Grauman's and it was impossible to get across the street in time.

MrCutter arrived in time for*Snow White* which he had never seen on the big screen. Though the restoration was done in 2009 this was the first screening of the restored version. It looks beautiful.

Leonard Maltin did the introduction honors and brought Marge Champion to the stage. Marge was the model for *Snow Whit*e when she was a teenager attending Hollywood High School.

"This is rather fitting as I was born on Orange Dr (the western boundary of the Chinese theater) between Fountain and DeLongpre. I watched them build this theater." she told an appreciative audience.

Maltin then brought out Gennifer Goodwin who plays Snow White on the tv series, *Once Upon a Time* and she talked about her life-long love affair with this film and the character.

A little over half through the film there was some sort of medical mishap that required one of the patrons to be taken out of the theater in a wheel chair. Not sure what happened but hopefully, it wasn't serious.

I'm also not sure how much of the audience was aware there was a problem. We were seated nearby and saw the theater and TCM staff respond immediately. The audience booed and hissed the evil Queen and applauded when she got her comeuppance.

After *Snow White*, we got back in line again at Grauman's, this time for *Casablanca* another film MrCutter had not seen on the big screen. The nearly full audience loved the restoration as much as we did.

People applauded loudly after Victor Lazlo led the French bar patrons in that rousing rendition of the Le Marseillaises

After that we hurried over to Club TCM at the Roosevelt for a special screening of Home Movies from the collection of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. We saw color home movie footage of parties at Fred MacMurray's house (Caesar Romero was dreamy!!!), color footage of Gilbert Roland, shirtless and on a boat.

Hollywood in 1947!!! OMG!!!!

Footage of costume party at Marion Davies beach house that included Carole Lombard and Clark Gable among the revelers. Home movie footage of Shirley Temple making *Heidi-* The footage was shot by her mother. Margaret O'Brien, June Allyson and Cyd Charisse (and possibly Ava Gardner) doing a ballet. Patful would have been in heaven.

It was over all too quick though it lasted almost an hour.

Then it was time for TCM's 18th Birthday salute.

Robert O took the stage and thanked everyone for being there. He recounted the story of how he was hired by Ted Turner but had yet to meet him. They were to have lunch together but Robert O was worried about what they would talk about. Luckily, Turner confessed that he loved movies, especially classic movies and wasn't all that interested in sports. He told Robert O that's why he was always falling asleep at the baseball games.

Robert O invited Ben M to join him on stage.

"It changed my life forever" Ben M at the 18th TCM Birthday Salute talking about how joining the TCM family in 2003 affected his life.

Robert O then introduced special guests Margaret O'Brien, Kim Novak, Peggy Cummings (on her visit to Los Angeles in almost 60 years) and RJ Wagner.

"Thank you for saving our memories" Kim Novak to the audience at Club TCM during the Birthday salute.

We were sitting in the back and joined everyone in toasting our favorite network and sang "Happy Birthday" to TCM.

A very long day but a very fun and memorable one!

More later!

Hi, Kyle,

Hope you don't mind me dropping in a line or two about today.

My day started with the 3-D shorts, many of which were interesting. The host, Serge Bromberg, completely charmed the audience with his French accent, humor, and piano playing to silent shorts. The best part of the program was at the end, when they showed a 2012 3D WB cartoon, "Daffy Duck's Rhapsody", that used a track that Mel Blanc recorded for a record album. I could feel a huge smile on my face during it. It was hysterically funny and the audience applauded loudly.

After that was Dr. No, where Ben M. was in heaven interviewing two former Bond girls, Eunice Gayson (Sylvia Trench in the first two Bond films) and Maud Adams (star of The Man With the Golden Gun and Octopussy). This was the 50th anniversary for Dr. No and it played before an appreciative audience.

At Grauman's, while Debbie Reynolds was meeting a few people in a roped-off area before the screening of Singin' in the Rain, a young woman near me was looking at DR and I could see the young woman was feeling very emotional. She said, "I think I am goiing to cry."

From what I could see, it was a full house, and people were very excited by Debbie Reynolds, who in answer to Robert O's questions managed to fluster even an experienced interviewer like RO with her salty language. Looking back at people sitting in the front row who were only getting a view of her back, she said to them, "Tough s--t." LOL, I am not sure if the interview ended early because of things like that but she did give some behind the scenes stories of the making of Singin' in the Rain before she left.

The film was glorious on that huge screen at Grauman. This was a newly restored version. People applauded after almost every number.

After the movie, Gene Kelly's widow took the stage and told the audience more stories about the making of the film, several of which contradicted DR's.

My evening ended with A Night to Remember. The host for the film was historian Don Lynch. During his remarks, he looked at his watch and told us that in 12 minutes, 100 years ago, that the Titanic went under the waves. That knowledge definitely was with us as we watched the most-accurate of films. He held a Q&A after the film but I didn't stick around for that.

It was an incredible day! Can't believe that this great event is ending on Sunday. : (

Best story I heard yesterday was from Robert Wagner during the Q&A after *The Longest Day*. I hope I have this right...

He and Robert Mitchum were eating lunch or something. A woman comes up to Mitchum and says, "Oh, Mr. Cooper. May I have your autograph?"

He replies, "Sure", and writes...

"F*ck you. Gary Cooper."

David in Seattle

Edited by: mavfan4life on Apr 15, 2012 4:58 PM because I stand corrected

What an incredible 4 days! I really loved every moment of the Festival, and I find it hard to believe that I am not getting up now to start out another whole day of great films. (And I suspect that most of the TCM staff are winging their way back to Atlanta as I write this, very happy that they did such a great job again this year.)

I mentioned in a previous post about my third day at the festival but I would like to mention the other three...

Day 1. It is ALWAYS amazing to walk into the Hollywood Roosevelt the first day of each festival, just to see what TCM has done with the place. I was glad to see the gift shop was back, and it looked like there was even more selection of items this year. And Club TCM was similar in some ways from last year, but also felt improved in others. The first impression I got was that there was more seating than before, which is very welcome. Then there were the wonderful great photographic on-the-set images of Audrey Hepburn, Marilyn Monroe, Ingrid Bergman, and so many more adorning the walls. There were also an incredible selection of costume sketches (with photos of the results) by different Hollywood costume designers, since style was a major focus of this year's Festival. Plus the real prize was seeing one of Audrey Hepburn's dresses from Sabrina in a glass case. And to keep people feeling the wonder of classic films, a large screen on the far wall was showing clips from memorable films of the past.

Much of the first day of the Festival each year is getting together with friends who have come from near and far (and that list grows with each passing Festival as we make new friends). This year was no exception. I saw so many: lzcutter, Kyle, Sue Sue, and others whose screennames I cannot recall. And a very special part of my day is seeing my friends from TCM again. They are truly my second family, I really mean that. (A note about the TCM staff: for the four days that we see them at the different venues, they never stop working. I am beginnning to think their only time for sleeping is at street crosswalks while the lights are flashing "Walk"..."Don't Walk"..."Nap." This year's festival was incredibly smooth, and I believe that comes from them having perfected the day-in and day-out operations over these three years. To any of you at TCM who read this: thank you for being you, evry single one of you contributed to making this all happen!)

The first part of the afternoon was spent at Club TCM watching the "Meet TCM" panel. Then came the presentation of "The Maltese Touch of Evil" with Shannon Scott Clute and Richard L. Edwards, who co-wrote the book of the same name. It must also be said that Shannon is the person responsible for your TCM Now Playing Magazine each month. In addition, he put together this year's truly incredibly-designed Festival magazine/program.) (Afterwards, as we were discussing private eye trivia, Shannon and I both got temporarily stumped as we tried to remember the radio series in which Dick Powell played a singing detective...it was Richard Diamond.)

I had to dash out of part of the presentation in order to watch Robert Osborne interviewing Sara Karloff, Rick Baker, and fans of the network, in the lobby of the hotel. I had a very pleasant surprise when one of the fans interviewed was Kimberly Truhlr, who runs a wonderful site, GlamAmor.com, dedicated to the glories of Hollywood fashion and the great architecture of Los Angeles. I met Kimberly at last year's festival and we became friends. It should also be noted, Kimberly has an incredible fashion style and designs her own clothing line that celebrates Hollywood's past. (And she has one of the best websites for looking at photos of the Festival. She is not only beautiful and has lovely style, she also has a great camera eye. Well, she has two great eyes, but her photos are stunning.)

After a quick bite to eat, I saw "Sullivan's Travels" at the Chinese Theatre Multiplex. (This was at their #1 theater - not to be mistaken for their Chinese Theater itself, the king of Hollywood showplaces - and the #1 theater would become my second home while at the Festival, for I saw more films here than anywhere else.) Ron Perlman (from TV's "Beauty and the Beast") introduced the film. It turns out this was a joy for Perlman because when he was a guest programmer on TCM recently, he had picked four films to discuss with Robert O. One of the four was "Sullivan's Travels" and he filmed the intro and outgo with RO, but due to a last-minute rights problem, the film could not be shown. So, here he was, with the chance to talk about the film. I want to tell you, it was great to start the Festival with this, a film that deals a lot with Hollywood. And the audience howled with laughter during the movie.

I wanted to stay around for the showing of "Sabrina" but I knew the second day was going to start early and end late, so I called it an early night.

Day Two to come.

B-) Kyle: Thank you for that great picture of Kim Novak with our CineMaven. I don't know about the rest of her experiences there but it's for certain this is one time Ms. Novak was in the presence of real class. T looks like she was enjoying herself as well. Hopefully you, lz, Sue and the rest did too.

I was missing the Festival today and had gotten so used to it being part of my daily habit that while standing in a food court line at Costco, I looked at the other three lines and thought, "I wonder what film they are seeing?"

'wouldbestar' and 'CineMaven' -

Happy to be of service. You are both most welcome. And it is a great photo.

Make sure you click through on the image to access larger versions if either of you want to have a bigger image to save.

And I have to say, Ms. Novak appears to be very happy to be in the presence of 'CineMaven'. But then, aren't we all?

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}'wouldbestar' and 'CineMaven' -.

> And I have to say, Ms. Novak appears to be very happy to be in the presence of 'CineMaven'. But then, aren't we all?

Couldn't agree more!

A very kind and marvelous person!

Yancey

It was great to see friends at the festival. TCM fiendishly programmed so many great films late at night that I didn't get to hang out much at Club TCM in the evenings.

An important note for everyone, not just those who attended the festival this night: at *The Thief of Bagdad* closing night Ben Mankiewicz said it will now be called the annual TCM Film Festival. Yes, it's such a success that this now part of what the network does. Ben M took the time to name the people responsible for various aspects of the festival, and the audience gave them well-earned applause.

As mentioned below, over 60% of the TCM demographic is in the 18-49 range. Judging from the people I've chatted with at the festival, most TCM viewers are smart, well-educated people, eager to learn more.

>

> Loved just overhearing the conversations going on around me in the theater while waiting for the film to start. And loved seeing huge lines for things like LONESOME, THE BLACK CAT, RAW DEAL...all less well-known classics that quickly sold out. The line for the Cinerama showing of HOW THE WEST WAS WON went around the block...even for standby tickets...warms my heart to see that!

>

Edited by: ChorusGirl on Apr 17, 2012 3:13 PM

> {quote:title=kingrat wrote:}{quote}

>

> most TCM viewers are smart, well-educated people, eager to learn more.

Wow, kingrat -

You described me to a 'T'!

Great seeing you again! Still recovering. Hope to be back to normal by the weekend!

Yancey

Day 2 of the Festival

I was there bright and early for the showing of Wings. A.C. Lyles introduced it, and this was a great print. Gary Cooper got applause when he appeared on screen (regrettably, just a short bit). I, and I think others, got a little teary-eyed at the ending of the film. And then William Wellman, Jr. (son of the film's director) spoke for a bit, providing fascinating insights on how the actors became directors, cameramen, stunt pilot and actors all-in-one when they were up in the skies filming closeups for the battle scenes.

Then it was off to Raw Deal, a low budget film noir that was very enjoyable. The cast and the tight direction worked well together, and actress Marsha Hunt came out to a standing ovation after the film was over to discuss the picture with film noir historian Eddie Muller.

It ran a little long and it meant a very quick dash to the Chinese Theater for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Ben M. interviewed Kirk Douglas who got a thunderous ovation upon his appearance. Ben M. said that Douglas could still remember the words to "A Whale of a Tale" and Douglas proved that. Douglas also mentioned how he wanted to hire Elsa Martinelli for a film he was doing shortly after the release of Leagues. "The Indian Fighter", and called her on the phone. She didn't believe it was him and said if he really was Douglas, he should sing "A Whale of a Tale" since the film was so recent...which he did.

Afterwards, it was over to Two For The Road. Stanley Donen discussed the Audrey Hepburn-Albert Finney movie, one I had not seen in decades, and Ben M. raved about the non-linear storytelling and how we had never seen a film like it before. The movie was as terrific as I remembered it, and there was genuine chemistry onscreen between the two stars. So glad I got to see it again.

I was then very tempted to see Grand Illusion but it had already been a 12-hour day of films and the third day was going to be a long one (recounted several posts down), plus I was really hungry, so I called it a night.