Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[i]Overheard On The Boulevard[/i] - The 2012 Film Festival

*Correction to my original post*

TCM is working on an Original Documentary about film producer Richard D. Zanuck that will premiere in September of this year. I mistakenly remembered it as being about Darryl F. Zanuck who is Richard D. Zanuck's father.

Richard D. Zanuck is the producer of the award-winning films *Jaws*, *The Verdict*, *Driving Miss Daisy* and *Cocoon*. Since 2001, he has also produced most of the films of Tim Burton.

Kyle In Hollywood

Last Saturday evening during the *18th Birthday Salute*, Ben M not only told the audience how joining TCM was a life changing event for him, but as the party wound down and festival goers had mostly left to get in line for the evening line-up of movies, those of us who were hanging around were lucky enough to hear Ben M talking about his dog.

Kudos to all those sharp-eyed TCM viewers who noticed the puppy's water bowl on Ben M's new set.

Yikes, almost forgot to write about...

Day 4

Woke up early and still felt a hankering to go to the Arclight Cinerama Dome to see How the West Was Won. After all, that isn't just a movie...seeing at the Dome is an event. But, as I knew it would be back with several other Cinerama films in Sept/Oct there, I decided once and for all that I was going to see A Trip to the Moon, And Other Trips Through Space, Time, and Color over at the Egyptian. Serge Bromberg, who was such a delight at the 3D showing on the third day, was hosting this special presentation, so that made it a good choice.

And it was. There were a number of rare shorts he introduced, including one from 1906, "A Trip Down Market Street," in which a camera was at the front of a streetcar in San Francisco and filmed the people and the buildings seen along the way to the Embarcadero (and people did like to show off for such an unusual device like a motion picture camera...likely the first time most had see one). It was very poignant short because, a few days after the filming, the city was hit with the deadly earthquake. Bromberg also presented footage taken after the earthquake. Very heartbreaking to see so many building that were now rubble. The highlight of the presenattion was the color restoration of "A Trip to the Moon." This treasure of the early days of cinema is a must-see for everyone who loves the movie, "Hugo."

My plan was to exit the Egyptian right after the show at 11:15 and dash over to "Trouble In Paradise" at the Chinese Multiplex, but the Moon showing ran longer than expected, and it made the Paradise showing a no-go. I wasn't too disappointed because it gave me a chance to have breakfast and to shop in the TCM souvenir shop. I also got a chance to talk with Robert Osborne for a minute in Club TCM after what I suspect was the morning breakfast with him. He remembered me from the time I had the great honor to be one of the 15 fan programmers three years earlier. I reminded him of the film I had picked ("Those Lips, Those Eyes") and he mentioned to me that star Frank Langella has a new book out. I hadn't known this and ordered it right away. Mr. O was just as great as he has always been. To those of you who have never had the chance to meet him yet, the Robert Osborne you see on TCM is really the way he is.

I also had a chance to run into several staff from TCM that I knew from the Fan Programmer time in Atlanta. They really are wonderful people, and I think they will all confess they have the best jobs in the world.

Went over to "Call Her Savage," a 1932 film with Clara Bow playing a young woman who might kiss you or attack you, depending on her ever-shifting personality moods.

A fun interview with Angie Dickenson at Grauman's Chinese started prior to a showing of Howard Hawks' "Rio Bravo."

Then came the real hard decision of the day...choosing the final film of the Festival to see. The choices were Annie Hall at Grauman's Chinese, Black Sunday or Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House or Auntie Mame at the Multiplex, or The Thief of Bagdad with live orchestra at the Egyptian. Arggh, talk about a difficult choice! I was leaning towards Thief of Bagdad but I had the great pleasure of seeing it with a live orchestra several years back. Annie Hall? Mmm...no. Black Sunday? I have good memories of that film, an excellent thriller, but also of Marthe Keller saying, "Look what I bwought Michael all the way from Beiwut", so no. Auntie Mame? Tempting. But as time was running out, I flipped a coin between Thief and Mr. Blandings...and Blandings won. And I am very happy to report I laughed more at this showing than when I have seen it on TV! The audience loved it, too. I can't recall who introduced it but they mentioned that 73 copies of the house were built by the studio in various cities to promote the film. The actual house still exists in Malibu as a ranger station at the Malibu Creek State Park.

Okay, end of films. Time for the closing party at Club TCM. A lot of fond farewells, drinks, and nice memories. Fans of RO got their last chance to meet him and shake his hand...and was that line long! Photos taken during the Festival played on the huge screen. And I had the chance to make some new friends who I hope will be back next year.

I can hardly wait!!!!!