Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Harold Teen, 1934 Choreographer

*I have hunted everywhere I can think....as a dancer, I pride myself at identifying choreographic styles. Does anyone know if Busby Berkeley choregraphed Harold Teen, 1934, recently shown on TCM??? I say YES...but, there is no documentation. Is there a extremely thorough Busby book out there?? thanks!*

Ms--I'm a tap dancer and I can tell you that Hal LeRoy was an accomplished tap dancer and choreographer. He started on Broadway and went on to Hollywood. What you saw was Mr. LeRoy's style and polished tap technique in the *Harold Teen* movie.

FYI--There was never any indication that Berkeley could dance at all or knew how to teach dance steps.

"The Busby Berkeley Book", published in 1973 with Berkeley's assistance, makes no mention of the film HAROLD TEEN. (the book is out of print, but easily available online for about $30)

There are a lot of Warner/First national pictures with "berkeley-esque" choreography...including BROADWAY HOSTESS, GO INTO YOUR DANCE, READY WILLING & ABLE, etc. I think most were done by Dave Gould...who had a similar style (see Fox's FOLIES BERGERE). He's good, but his numbers lack that magic touch that makes you gasp.

Dave Gould was the choreographer of record for Fred Astaire's first 2 movies--but Astaire didn't like his Berkeley-esque approach and hired fellow dancer Hermes Pan to do the job in subsequent movies.