Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In search of...Virginia Weidler

Thank you ginnyfan for providing that interesting link.

I wonder why MGM didn't want to let Ginny "grow-up?" From the pictures I have seen of her she grew into a lovely young lady!

weidler1.jpg

Below is a link to a blog someone wrote on Ginny. This

person's "take" on why Ginny didn't achieve adult stardom

is just related to "luck" or actually "no luck."

Thanks.

Lori

http://www.classicmoviemusicals.com/weidler2.htm

The Class Act site is a really good one. Not as good as the [Virginia Weidler Remembrance Society|http://www.facebook.com/VirginiaWeidlerRemembranceSociety], but pretty good.

BTW, I don't know if you've been by this week but I made one of the posters there my co-manager for the site. Danny is such a whiz at research that I needed him posting regularly. It just made sense.

We were talking about the murder investigation in which Ginny was involved in 1944 and one of the newspaper photos didn't look like any Virginia Weidler I'd ever seen. She looked like a "painted lady".

So I put together this montage of six Ginnys from that time period to see if it could actually be her. I initially thought no, but most of the members thought yes.

The newspaper photo from the Bauerdorf murder is lower right.

2v8qy5g.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

> {quote:title=Colorado_Kid wrote:}{quote}I don't think the girl in the bottom right is Virginia Weidler.

Yeah, I really didn't think so when I first saw it at all. Most of my other Facebook members at the[ Virginia Weidler Remembrance Society|http://www.facebook.comVirginiaWeidlerRemembranceSociety] seem to think it actually is. There is a strong similarity around the eyes, but she really looks like the kind of gal her mother regularly kept away from her back then. I waver back and forth.

Of course, she was constantly trying to look older in photoshoots (see the teen mag photo I posted further down the thread showing a classier, older look).

Hi. It really is hard to say if that is really Ginny or not. I think you are right around the eyes it looks like her and maybe around her nose and mouth. I am going to say it is her and she is just "made up" to look older if you know what I mean?

I visited your Virginia FB the other day and it is coming along beautifully. You are doing such a great job. Do any of her family members e.g. sons know about your FB page? I would think they would be very grateful to you for keeping the memory and legacy of the mother alive.

I would be grateful to you.

Lori

2jawzf5.jpg

Last week Lori posted this photo of Ginny, with Lucille Ball and Tommy Dix in BEST FOOT FORWARD. It got me researching Mr. Dix and I found his biographer and a [cool tribute website|http://tommydix.com/].

After emailing the biographer, I received the following reply from Mr. Dix:

Dear Mr. (ginnyfan),

Ken Robichaux has routed your inquiry to me and I am complimented by your most welcome interest in whatever memories and observations I might have regarding Virginia Weidler

I keenly remember Virginia for her gentle nature, her kindness toward fellow performers, her unfailing dependability, her unerring, no-nonsense professionalism and, of course, her virtuoso talents.

We met at any early age, yet her confident maturity and mastery of her craft was already fully apparent - as was Ms Ball's - and they both set an almost parental example for the many of us who were then so new to the experience.

At the time, I don't think anyone realized that this was to be her film swan song.

Contemplating it now, in retrospect, gives me a unique sense of undeserved distinction, for, in a way, I was to be her last "leading man." Had I known at the time, I would surely have been humbled.

Her passing at such an early age was utterly heart breaking and your guardianship of her memory is, I know, surely and deeply appreciated - by all.

I apologize for my tardiness in responding to your message, but I thought it best to await the end of Sandy et al.

Please feel free to call me on any afternoon or evening (I am anti mornings) at your convenience.

Should I be out, please leave a message with your number, so I may call you back.

On another subject, I advise anyone to take full advantage of any opportunity to get to know Ken Robichaux better. He is amazingly well informed across a whole spectrum of subjects (a Jesuit Scholar,) has a stunning intellect, is marvelously traveled, and is authoritatively well informed and insightful on the motion picture industry, its denizens and its history.

Be forewarned and forearmed however. He is merciless in debate and, should he perceive a weakness in your logic or a factual error, he takes no prisoners. His presence in your life will enrich it, improve it and keep you on your best intellectual behavior.

As for his wife, Anne, I do not recommend your making her acquaintance. For if you do, you'll find yourself helplessly, insatiably driven by an overwhelming desire to throw rocks at all the other women you encounter.

Anne and Ken have become, in a relatively short time, my dearest friends.

I will consider it a privilege to be of any service to you, and to Virginia's dear memory.

I chose not to cut one word because, after the huge favor both Mr. Robichaux and Mr. Dix have done and will do for me, the least I could do is include Mr. Dix's high praise for his biographer.

I have already replied to let Mr. Dix know that his beautiful email brought tears to my eyes and that I would certainly call him as soon as I had my questions together.

If anyone here can think of a question they'd like me to ask Mr. Dix concerning his time working on Best Foot Forward, please let me know here or by message.

Edited by: ginnyfan on Nov 2, 2012 6:10 AM

WOW! What a great e-mail you got back from Mr.Dix! I don't know what to say but, "You are blessed." He sounds so willing to share with you any and all memories he has of Virginia.

Outstanding job ginnyfan!!!

Please let us know when you phone him and what questions you have for him.

I am very happy for you.

Lori

Hi Lori. I plan to phone Mr. Dix early this week. I hope to ask him about the total experience on the set, his publicity "date" with Virginia and and also about his on experiences on Broadway, touring, and in dealing with MGM. Since he and Ginny both experienced all those things, I think we might be able to figure out what he life was like through him, at least a little.

We also had another break this week. The daughter of big band trumpeter Dick Mains joined [our group|http://www.facebook.com/VirginiaWeidlerRemembranceSociety] this week and it turns out that he was a guy in a dance floor photo I have of Virginia. She toured with Teddy Powel's Orchestra when Dick played for them and apparently he and Ginny dated for the better part of a year before he went into the service.

Here's a photo they had taken in Chicago (where they both got rave reviews from Billboard!)

eqnitj.jpg

Edited by: ginnyfan on Nov 4, 2012 10:45 AM

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> The thing that surprises me in all this is:

>

> This thread is STILL going!

>

>

> Sepiatone

>

Admittedly, it's still going because I won't let it die. I could start new threads with every item I discover, but I like this better and I suspect everyone else does, too. It allows those who are anti-fan on this board to ignore me. Although if they are also pro history, they shouldn't because my posts are providing plenty of that.

Think about it, though, I joined the forum on April 15 and started this thread because I knew almost nothing about Weidler, wanted to know more and needed help. A lot of you did help and got me started right.

Here we are after a little more than six months and I know more than anyone rightly should know about Virginia Weidler and we have a Remembrance Society of almost 50 members. The Society includes a movie reviewer for a major internet publication, a classic film biographer, and the daughter of a big band musician Virginia dated.

On top of that I'm interviewing Tommy Dix this week, Virginia's final co-star, and he referred to me as the guardian of her memory. OK, that last one is self serving, but I am really proud of it.

This thread will continue for as long as I'm still learning new things that I think are interesting.

I hope you'll continue to check in.

TB,

I considered that possibility and chose to state the why of this thread in a positive manner. I think that I've accomplished quite a bit in the last few months and this thread and positive posters like you and MusicalNovelty and Lori and lzcutter and probably a whole bunch of others I'm forgetting to name are a big reason.

I will continue to update until I've found all I think there is to find. If people check out the Facebook page, they'll find a lot of good people sharing information, digging out newspaper and magazine clippings, having a good time delving into the life of an actress who was less than a star but a lot more than an afterthought.

I think that's great and won't apologize for one second of the time I've spent or one single post I've made.

My new partner at the FB page would like to keep it going with another actor if we ever finish with Weidler. June Preisser came up only because we found out she appeared with Virginia in vaudeville as part of an "All Girl Revue".

I'm sure Preisser's act included the gymnastics and near contortions she displayed in the movies.

Well ginnyfan I can't wait till you let us know all about the conversation you had with Mr. Dix.

That is very exciting news and now another "child star" is being added into the mix.

Wonderful job you are doing, and please keep us informed of your progress. You have come a long way since April.

Congratulations!

Lori

No, I can't say I AM a fan of Miss Weidler. Nor can I say I have anything against her.

But you HAVE to admit.....whenever anyone brings up the topic of iconic Hollywood personages, Virginia would wind up far down the list, if at all.

That this much attention is paid to someone who wasn't really a BIG star from the "golden age" is what I find surprising. I actually think it's kinda cool. Maybe not that interesting to ME, as one can tell that the "surprised" post was my first in this thread. Don't jump to conclusions.

Sepiatone

>whenever anyone brings up the topic of iconic Hollywood personages, Virginia would wind up far down the list, if at all.

Says who? I think that is a very biased statement with no factual evidence to back it up. If you're talking about the AFI list of the 50 greatest screen legends that is one thing, but general public consensus about Virginia Weidler and her talents would be very enthusiastic in many quarters.

, but general public consensus about Virginia Weidler and her talents would be very enthusiastic in many quarters.

Says who? I think that is a very biased statement with no factual evidence to back it up.

Unless one has specific polling data one is only guessing with regards to any 'general public consensus'. Typically one's guess is based only on their own opinion knowledge.

As for Virginia, well a majority of the general public cannot even name who the current VP of the USA is (based on a very informal 'man on the street poll), so my guess (but only a guess), would be Virginia is known only in a few very selected quarters. For example, I'm a big time studio era movie fan (I would think I know more about studio era movies than say 99% of the general population and note CFU doesn't represent the general public but big time studio era fans), but I didn't know Virginia by name. Now as soon as I saw her picture I remembered her and some of the movies she was in.

Either way I'm glad to see that Virginia still has big time fans. I came to this site so I could learn more about her. As others have noted sometimes us studio era fans give too much attentions to just the 'stars' and not enough to the other great talents of the era.

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> No, I can't say I AM a fan of Miss Weidler. Nor can I say I have anything against her.

>

> But you HAVE to admit.....whenever anyone brings up the topic of iconic Hollywood personages, Virginia would wind up far down the list, if at all.

>

>

> That this much attention is paid to someone who wasn't really a BIG star from the "golden age" is what I find surprising. I actually think it's kinda cool. Maybe not that interesting to ME, as one can tell that the "surprised" post was my first in this thread. Don't jump to conclusions.

>

>

> Sepiatone

>

Sepia,

If you knew me, you wouldn't be surprised. I was the kid who, in 1964, was buying the Dave Clark record instead of the Beatles. It's easy to be a fan of Davis or Hepburn or Bogart or Grant. This is a little harder, and that's my nature.

I got started earlier this year because I watched one of her movies, read her rather brief IMDb bio, and literally couldn't sleep because it disturbed me that someone as talented as she went from featured roles to no movie deal at all in one swoop. So I started this, it snowballed, and I surprising found at least a dozen more people as interested in her and the way she disappeared as much as I am (the Society has 46 members, but I don't claim they are all as rabid as I am).

Anyway, I'm one to whom Gloria Grahame was always preferable to Bacall and I'm one who always goes, "Look! There's Byron Foulger!" so being passionate about Virginia Weidler isn't a stretch.

In fact, the longer I do this the more I discover things about her that make me: 1) really believe she had the talents to be a longer lasting star, and;

2) really, really like her as a person.

And thank you for posting something that got me several posts in a row that weren't mine. It's been awhile.

P.S.-TB, I'll read your message. I'm not calling Mr. Dix until tomorrow or Thursday.

I just spent two wonderful hours talking to Ginny's last leading man, Tommy Dix.

Jean Porter once said that Virginia was the nicest person she ever met. I haven't actually met Tommy Dix, but he was the nicest person I have ever talked to.

I'll be dropping statements from him into the thread as I go back over the interview.

Thanks to those who supplied questions.

>I'll be dropping statements from him into the thread as I go back over the interview.

You do know that Sepiatone will probably see this tactic as a ploy to keep the thread 'hot.' I hope Sepia enjoys the quotes as much as I know I will! Can't wait to read them...

Two hours, wow that is really something. I look forward to reading your questions and Mr.Dix's responses.

I am still curious though, have you heard from either of her sons?

You are really doing a wonderful job in bringing the legacy of Virginia Weidler back to the forefront. I think you should be very proud of yourself and I am sure "Ginny" is feeling the love and admiration you clearly have for this wonderful and talented actress.

I know I will never forget Virginia Weidler because of your efforts.

Lori

Lori,

I haven't tried a second time to contact Gary or Ron Krisel. I need to go back to them, point out how far we've come and see if they'll relent now that we've proven ourselves as serious researchers.

I have contacted a writer who has worked with Virginia's brother in law William. William Krisel was a very well known and respected SoCal architect with a career worthy of his own biography. I hope he'll talk to me.

Your comment on Ginny "feeling the love" is very similar to something Mr. Dix himself said in the interview.