Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In search of...Virginia Weidler

Cave Girl wrote: Love Virginia Weidler but don't you think she looks like she should be related to Mary Wickes?

I've heard that from people before, Cave Girl, but I personally don't really see it. Still, there is a thread on the Virginia Weidler forum at IMDb discussing the idea that they could have played mother-daughter or big and little sister. Wickes was actually old enough to play her mother since she was born in 1910.

There is also a thread on that forum claiming that current actress Jennifer Lawrence looks like Ginny. I don't see that one, either.

238u53.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been away for a couple of weeks and hope that those who care about the birthday updates have moseyed over to the tumblr site.

I'm looking at copies of The Film Daily, a trade publication from the "Era of Weidler", and I came across a wonderful 20 page ad from PARAMOUNT promoting its plans for the 1936-37 season. This is the final page of their "roster" of actors. Please tell me if you notice something really wrong. Hint-The Ginny photo is great and what's wrong has nothing to do with her.

16a3783.jpg

I sure can tell you what is wrong, and that is JANE WITHERS never was at Paramount.. Wonder how they messed up because at that time Jane was a big star at Fox!

Exactly. I even checked to make sure she hadn't been loaned that year and she wasn't.

Ginnyfan,

I had the chance to meet and chat quite a bit recently with Margaret O'Brien, and although hers and Virginia Weidler's careers didn't overlap by much, I wanted (on your behalf) to ask her what, if anything, she remembered about Virginia. She said she really didn't get to know Virginia but of course, did know who she was and would hear about her occasionally over the years. But basically she had no new or interesting info - but I wanted you to know I asked!

Thank you so much for asking! I'm now in the process of contacting a few more people who may or may not know anything. I thought of Margaret and I knew that she'd have to know her from after their childhoods since Ginny was a full ten years older. Margaret was, of course, actually in BABES ON BROADWAY for one scene, but she was only four at the time!

I just found out from TopBilled that we have a Jane Withers Day coming up on TCM in January, so I'm about to put pressure on the powers that be again. March 21 isn't too far away!

I haven't done this in awhile. I was away from this board for a time and while I was gone, I changed the format of TIG on tumblr. People there asked me to post each person as an individual post instead of in a group.

So I'm just going to direct you to the page and let you navigate it to see as many or as few TIGers as you like.

My last link here was for September 27, but the tumblr page has them all right up to tonight.

http://virginiaweidlerremembrance.tumblr.com/

>I just found out from TopBilled that we have a Jane Withers Day coming up on TCM in January, so I'm about to put pressure on the powers that be again. March 21 isn't too far away!

I think the Withers tribute is due to the fact that she is a friend of TCM and active in many of the channel's public events.

It's too bad Virginia Weidler did not live long enough to become a friend of TCM and meet her new generation of fans thanks to cable rebroadcasts of her movies.

Hi again! I'm just updating to remind you that the TODAY IN GINNY feature is always available on the tumblr site and another item that just went up is my first post concerning a phone conversation I had with Margaret Kerry aka child actress Peggy Lynch.

As Margaret she was best known as the actress who was the live model for Tinkerbell.

Please come take a look.

The Virginia Weidler Remembrance Society still wants Ginny to have her day on TCM! Please help!

Write to: TCM Viewer Relations

1050 Techwood Drive NW

Atlanta, GA 30318

Phone: 404-885-5535 and leave a polite yet firm message to TCM that you'd like to see a Virginia Weidler Day on TCM. Remind them that her actual birthday is March 21 but that anyday can be a Ginnyday!

For email, go to http://www.tcm.com/contact-tcm.html and click on "contact us" (there's a cartoon microphone next to that link.)

Fill out the form, picking programming as your subject and using as many persuasive arguments as you can within 64,000 characters!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! This is just a quick update and reminder that the regular Today In Ginny posts and other silliness is always available at:

https://www.facebook.com/VirginiaWeidlerRemembranceSociety?ref=hl

or,

http://virginiaweidlerremembrance.tumblr.com

And if you'd like to support my efforts to get a day for Virginia on TCM, please contact them as soon as possible.

Hope you (and others) watched GOLD RUSH MAISIE today!

Yes, it was an event posted on the Facebook page. So was THE WOMEN and I admit I didn't watch that again.

For The Record:

TCM has now broadcast THE WOMEN seven times in 51 weeks by my count.

To wrap up the "round the calendar" WOMEN coverage, here's Loella Parsons from April 15, 1939. Note that Ginny's age has changed once again. She was actually twelve.

1451614_362733513870064_140300572_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Last year, I got really mawkish on this night. I meant every word from last year, but I?ll try to not be so emotional.

I?m thankful for the growth of the VWRS this year, both at Facebook and on the new tumblr site. (BTW, we welcome Chris to the society!)

I?m thankful for the regulars who jump in and like all the silly stuff I throw up here and all the good stuff Danny Miller gives us.

I?m thankful for Danny and the work he does for us at no pay. I?m also thankful that he?s never asked for any pay.

I?m really thankful for the FOG, Friends of Ginny, and the almost FOG who have been willing to respond this year to the questions Danny and I have thrown at them: Jane Withers, Marilyn Knowlden, Margaret Kerry, June Lockhart, Gene Reynolds, Doris Day and even Robert Osborne-an honorary FOG, to be sure.

I?m thankful that there are still people out there to contact in the coming year.

I?m also thankful for the Krisels, Virginia?s family, and hope that in the coming year they will see that this is a worthwhile and loving effort and that we really mean them and their privacy no harm.

Finally, as last year, I?m thankful for the life and career of Virginia Weidler and that I?ve come to ?know? this wonderful lady over the past year and a half. I only regret not developing this interest much earlier.

Happy Thankgiving, everyone. I leave you with a simulation of what a Thanksgiving with the Sommerfields of Sea Cove Drive, Rock Bay, L.I. might look like.

tumblr_inline_mwy7pbHXDd1s6lxse.jpg

As a Thanksgiving treat I sat down and watched I?LL WAIT FOR YOU?s premake, HIDE-OUT (1934). It?s a slightly longer and more developed film, and the stars were A-listers, but I actually like the character development in IWFY better, think they gave better reasoning for some of the things that happen, and actually prefer at least half of the 1941 film?s cast over the 1934 counterparts.

Yes I know I?m biased, but in the near future I plan to post some photo mashups I?ll call ?A Tale of Two Lizzies.? I know that the Mick played the role first and HIS character?s name was Willie and not Lizzie but:

1) This is the VIRGINIA WEIDLER Remembrance Society and ginnyfan gets to choose the titles; and,

2) The Hays Office would be really upset if I used the name Willie in that particular title.

The photo is an ad for HIDE-OUT and an ad with article for IWFY. The IWFY ad comes from a Spokane paper in December of 1941 and that paper seems to believe that Virginia had top billing for some reason. Maybe Spokane was a hotbed of Weidlermania. If so, they had good taste.

tumblr_mx21s0s7dH1sezvbto1_500.jpg

BTW, I'm still posting TODAY IN GINNY! update regularly at:

Our newest VWRS member Chauncy is sharing the happy and the sad. The happy is that he has more pics like this one from the unavailable film FRECKLES to share. The sad is that he's the one who told me the TCM monthly schedule was up for March, Ginny's birth month, and only one Ginnyfilm is on it and it isn?t on her birthday.

THE OUTCASTS OF POKER FLAT runs on March 27, which I believe is the day she eloped with Lionel Krisel. They remained married for over 21 years until her death.

tumblr_mxaa25VCuA1sezvbto1_400.jpg

My fight continues with a new rounds of emails, letters, and phone calls starting today.

To keep up with TODAY IN GINNY!, please visit

I was on the phone with VWRS member Leandra and we both noticed something terribly odd about the photo Chauncy supplied and I posted at the VWRS this morning of Ginny at the wheel in FRECKLES.

2n06gk2.jpg

Look closely at Ginny's hand on the steering wheel. Did Sam Peckinpah direct FRECKLES? Does FRECKLES translate into "Chucky" in some other language? Is that blood running down her left arm?

1422384_371335776343171_475327744_n.jpg

Please advise!

A HUGE ginnyfan apology!

Because I?ve fallen behind several days on TODAY IN GINNY!, I overlooked a VERY important birthday on Friday.

On Friday Tommy Dix, Ginny?s last leading man, turned 90 and I missed it!

Tommy was very gracious to me with his time last year and gave me a lot of good information in a two hour conversation about working on BEST FOOT FORWARD with Virginia and Lucille Ball. I feel terrible that I missed the actual day.

I?ve been trying to post a video from BEST FOOT FORWARD, but it keeps stuttering. So for now here?s a still of THREE MEN ON A DATE

tumblr_mxmddrV5x21sezvbto1_500.jpg

and a photo of the aftermath, which I call ?Bud shamed, Helen scorned.?

tumblr_mxmddrV5x21sezvbto2_500.jpg

Happy belated birthday, Tommy Dix!

Ginnyfan,

As you know, I've seen FRECKLES and certainly don't recall anything about Virginia's arm being bloody. But looking closely at the photo of her with her arm on the steering wheel, I can just barely see that she's got her arm on a metal bar going from the center to the outer part of the wheel. So, what you're seeing on her arm is the line made by the edge of the bar part of the steering wheel.

So, nothing to worry about - she's okay!