Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ginnyfan

In search of...Virginia Weidler

Hi everyone,

Long time, no post. I got a little busy with both a project and with life outside of films.

The project went well. The City of Los Angeles has declared March 21, 2017 to be...A CELEBRATION OF VIRGINIA WEIDLER. The date corresponds with what would have been her 90th birthday. The Society is pretty excited.  There are no formal events or anything, but the proclamation will be nice and we hope that one of her descendants may wish to have it.  

I do encourage anyone who feels the need to watch a film of hers that day, or a clip on YouTube and remember her.

Here's the wording of the proclamation:

A Proclamation

WHEREAS, born in the Eagle Rock neighborhood of Los Angeles, California to recent immigrants Alfred and Margaret Weidler on March 21, 1927, Virginia Weidler rose to stardom by appearing in motion pictures from the age of four and became known for being Hollywood's first true child character actor; and

WHEREAS, Virginia Weidler made her lasting mark by appearing in classic films such as The Women, All This, and Heaven Too, Young Tom Edison, and perhaps most memorably The Philadelphia Story while more than holding her own in scenes with the true greats of her time, including Katharine Hepburn, Bette Davis, Cary Grant, James Stewart, Charles Boyer, Norma Shearer, Mickey Rooney, Judy Garland, Gary Cooper and John Barrymore; and

WHEREAS, the afore mentioned John Barrymore, after working with Virginia, identified her as “Hollywood's Greatest Actress”; and

WHEREAS, Virginia Weidler further proved her mettle as a lead actress in films such as Girl Of The Ozarks, Bad Little Angel, and Born To Sing; and

WHEREAS, Virginia Weidler was voted Juvenile Actress of the year for 1940 by the motion picture exhibitors; and

WHEREAS, Virginia and her older brothers and sisters entertained Americans for decades on stage, screen, radio, television and recordings; and

WHEREAS, as she matured after a successful motion picture career, Virginia sought to display her talents on the stage, on radio, and finally on television before retiring to a private life as a wife and mother; and

WHEREAS, Virginia Weidler showed great patriotism and devotion to her country through her work with the child actor's group, the Junior Division for Defense Savings, her volunteer work at the Hollywood Canteen, her appearances throughout the country to promote War Bonds, her visits to entertain the troops in places like Camp Reynolds and Camp Clipper, her radio and film appearances on behalf of the United States government and, later, as a selfless and devoted Navy wife; and

WHEREAS, Virginia Weidler was consistently remembered by her colleagues in the industry as one of the nicest people they ever met and as someone who was helpful to others in both personal and professional circumstances;

NOW, THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that by the adoption of this resolution by the City Council of the City of Los Angeles that Virginia Weidler is recognized for her career accomplishments as well as her contributions to her country, her city, and to all who knew her and that March 21, 2017 is designated as A Celebration of Virginia Weidler.

Finally, we got into print today.  Not a big paper, but it is owned by the Baltimore Sun.

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/news/eldersburg/ph-cc-virginia-weidler-society-20170120-story.html#nt=oft03a-14la1

• Like 1

On March 21, 2017  fans in the L.A. area should show up at her star at a specific time and invite the local media.     That might make some of the entertainment shows as well as the L.A. Times.   E.g. write an e-mail to Susan King who is (was?) the Times classic movies columnist.

Anyhow,  if this is set up I would show up.

• Like 1

On March 21, 2017  fans in the L.A. area should show up at her star at a specific time and invite the local media.     That might make some of the entertainment shows as well as the L.A. Times.   E.g. write an e-mail to Susan King who is (was?) the Times classic movies columnist.

Anyhow,  if this is set up I would show up.

The only problem is, sadly, she has no star.  By the time the Walk started Virginia had already withdrawn from any connection to Hollywood.

The only problem is, sadly, she has no star.  By the time the Walk started Virginia had already withdrawn from any connection to Hollywood.

Oh my,  that is just so wrong!    I just assumed she had one since there are so many folks with lesser talent or that have made less of a contribution to film that do have a star.

The Virginia Weidler Remembrance Society received the completed proclamation from the City of Los Angeles declaring March 21 a "Celebration of Virginia Weidler." 

We are pretty excited.

I've attached photos of my VWRS co-manager Danny Miller with the proclamation as well as photos of the text and signatures.

We plan to offer it to the family. If they don't take it, I have a bare spot on my wall.  :)

tumblr_olspynjWDt1sezvbto1_540.jpg

tumblr_olspynjWDt1sezvbto2_1280.jpg

tumblr_olspynjWDt1sezvbto3_1280.jpg

• Like 1

The Virginia Weidler Remembrance Society had a wonderful and exciting 90th birthday celebration for Virginia. The biggest moment was that two of Virginia's grandchildren Jon Krisel and Lindsay Krisel-Rock have come forward to give us their blessing. Lindsay even accepted the proclamation on behalf of her family and told us that her father Ron, Virginia's older son, was touched by how much Virginia is still loved.

Most important to me, Lindsay told us that the family really gets a kick out of our VWRS tradition of eating cottage cheese while watching her films. We based it on a Big Little Book from 1935 saying cottage cheese was Virginia's favorite food. I thought that was a creation of a publicist, but it turns out to be true!  Lindsay tells us her father said Virginia liked to eat potato chips using cottage cheese instead of dip.  Cottage cheese is something the entire family enjoys!

Now the important part, a photo of Lindsay Krisel-Rock with the proclamation. She later told Danny Miller, our Hollywood eyes and ears, that Ron was very moved by the document and can't wait to show it to his younger brother, Gary.

Since Danny was actually the one doing the presenting, I'm on the East Coast, here's his thoughts:

Everyone we've spoken to who worked with Ginny or knew her back in the day always remarked that she was one of the nicest people they'd ever met, in addition to being one of the most talented. My experience with Ginny's two grandchildren that I've met, Lindsay and her brother Jonathan, is the same — the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! Though Linsday is not an actress, she shared with me that she once played Mary Haines in a high school production of "The Women." That means, in effect, that she played her own great-grandmother!

2uhwt44.jpg

• Like 3

Always liked Virginia Weidler films.  Talented lady back in the day.  A lot of different types of movies, but for some reason I always think of her in those musicals or the fun Mickey Rooney films.  

• Like 3

Always liked Virginia Weidler films.  Talented lady back in the day.  A lot of different types of movies, but for some reason I always think of her in those musicals or the fun Mickey Rooney films.  

She worked with Mickey four times. They had good on screen chemistry. I often say that Virginia was Mickey, but wanted to grow up to be Judy.

She worked with Mickey four times. They had good on screen chemistry. I often say that Virginia was Mickey, but wanted to grow up to be Judy.

She had a lot of energy, that matched up well with Mickey.  You had to have a lot of energy to keep pace with Mickey Rooney on screen.  I think most people think of Virginia in the more serious movies of the day, with ladies like Shearer and Hepburn and Bette Davis.... but I always liked the fun films just as much.   

Long time no me...

Today is Virginia Weidler's birthday. Danny Miller and son Charles made their annual pilgrimage to a Weidler-Krisel property to celebrate the occasion. Virginia and her husband Lionel owned several houses and rental units in the Los Angeles area. She generally served as manager for the rentals.

Danny Miller:

My son and I have been visiting former Weidler homes every year on Ginny's birthday, from the fabulous house in Eagle Rock where the family was living was Ginny was born on this day in 1927 to their homes all over town in the decades that followed. But this year we had our most special birthday celebration ever, at the gorgeous French Normandy building just off the Sunset Strip that has been in the Krisel family since the 1930s (and still is!), accompanied by Virginia Weidler's wonderful granddaughter, Lindsay, who gave us a tour of the place (including, to my son's fascination and joy, how the garbage is collected from this landmark structure). That's grown-up Ginny in the doorway of this building on the left, and Lindsay and Charles in that very same doorway on the right. And yes, it goes without saying that Charles is devouring a pint of cottage cheese in Ginny's honor — he looks forward to that every year! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GINNY!

29472137_1334810113329061_61278334741926

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ginnyfan said:

Long time no me...

Today is Virginia Weidler's birthday. Danny Miller and son Charles made their annual pilgrimage to a Weidler-Krisel property to celebrate the occasion. Virginia and her husband Lionel owned several houses and rental units in the Los Angeles area. She generally served as manager for the rentals.

Danny Miller:

29472137_1334810113329061_61278334741926

That's great Pete. I haven't been on Facebook much lately and didn't see this yet. Glad you posted it here. The granddaughter looks very much like the young Miss Weidler of the movies.

• Thanks 1

I love photo combos like this. Ones of the same place, in this case, 60 years apart.

BTW, YouTube has a surprising number of films to watch this year.

Lindsay has been nice enough to let us have a couple of photos of the adult Virginia to round out the collection.

9 minutes ago, ginnyfan said:

I love photo combos like this. Ones of the same place, in this case, 60 years apart.

BTW, YouTube has a surprising number of films to watch this year.

Lindsay has been nice enough to let us have a couple of photos of the adult Virginia to round out the collection.

Yes, the photos of her as an older woman are nice to see. Especially since she practically disappeared from the Hollywood radar after her last film. Glad she seemed happy in adulthood. Still a shame she died so young.

• Like 2