Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sunrise At Campobello

chaney7

Recently saw this for the second time with quite a few years between looks. Maybe I've gotten "jaded" over time but I soon became tired of what seemed like forced performances by Bellamy and especially Garson. I actually began to wince as she seemed to pose before delivering her lines. She looked to me like she was conscioulsy cocking her jaw to get the proper Eleanor Roosevelt accent. The more I looked the more apparent it seemed to get. Bellamy's lisp, even without the constant cigarette holder, got to me too. Too Harsh? I know it'a a film the play movie but the only believeable main character was Hugh Cronyn. He gave a decidedly un-Broadway like performance.

• 3 weeks later...

Ralph also played FDR in the TV mini-series "The Winds of War and War and Remembrance" I thought he was rather good in all his efforts. However that being said I think Edward Herrmann was the best screen FDR and Jane Alexander the best Elenore in the HBO "ELENORE AND FRANKLIN" The Early Years and The White House Years. FDR and Winston Churchill top my list of heroes so I'll watch anything concerning these men.

I totally agree with stjohnrv regarding Edward Herrman and Jane Alexander. Although I too thought Bellamy did a good job. I think Jane Alexander was a more believable Elenore. That being said, these were 2 totally different productions. Because HBO's was filmed in the 80's (?), the circumstances regarding the relationship between Franklin and Elenore was explained with a frankness that could not have been done when Sunrise At Campbobello was made. In fact, their whole life together seemed fully explored by HBO. It was really well done and tastefully done.

I also agree with you about Roosevelt and Churchill. But I also consider Teddy Roosevelt fascinating.

I truly believe that he is the best President that this country has ever had. And I don't know that I have ever seen an indepth movie about Teddy R. There was one starring Brian Keith, but there just wasn't enough of it - I would like to have seen more about his life.

I have read a lot about all these men and am reading now "Hero" about T E Lawrence (Lawrence Of Arabia). He is another one of my heroes. But that is a whole other story!

> However that being said I think Edward Herrmann was the best screen FDR and Jane Alexander the best Elenore in the HBO "ELENORE AND FRANKLIN" The Early Years and The White House Years.

stjohn,

I think those movies were actually done as tv movie of the weeks and shown on ABC back in the mid-1970s. I agree, they were excellent.

>Ralph also played FDR in the TV mini-series "The Winds of War and War and Remembrance" I thought he was rather good in all his efforts. However that being said I think Edward Herrmann was the best screen FDR and Jane Alexander the best Elenore in the HBO "ELENORE AND FRANKLIN" The Early Years and The White House Years. FDR and Winston Churchill top my list of heroes so I'll watch anything concerning these men.

The Eleanor and Franklin mini-series were, in each case, made for ABC, not HBO.

Yes, ABC released the mini-series on January 11, 1976. It ran a total of 240 minutes. The mini series won nine Emmys and a Peabody Award.

I should know. I wrote a high school paper on the event. Received an A as well.

The additional 16 years that passed after the film allowed the TV series some leeway for sure. The hapily married couple from Sunrise didn't actually exist. Elanor found a stack of love letters in his baggage when he came home sick after a tour of naval ships. He actually had the flu that killed millions in the early 1920's. They almost divorced. Ma Roosevelt put a stop to that but they slept apart until his death. But like I said, it's Garson's acting that drives me nuts in this movie closely followed by Bellamy.