Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MovieMadness

Made for TV Movies

I don't know what you're leading up to, but my feelings about TV movies are that TCM should show them. I think there are plenty of good ones that I would say are better than some of the crap that gets released to the theaters. I for one would enjoy the "Columbo" movies.

*"Dare I ask?"* - MovieMadness

No harm in asking.

If you do a little investigating and searching you'll find that other cable channels do program "Made-For-TV" features with a certain regularity, including the secondary Encore Channels and Hallmark Movie Channel. There may even be additional channels that I am not aware of.

As for putting them on TCM, I'd hate to see them become part of the regular scheduled programming. If I was interested in such fare, I think I'd get a low-cost NetFlix subscription in order to satisfy that desire.

Kyle In Hollywood

Good idea....IMHO, a movie is a movie, regardless whether it's theatrical or made-for-tv.

So, the concept behind Turner Classic Movies applies only to theatrical films? Piffle...they should also periodically include classic television movies.

Perfect timing on this thread because I like to bring up 2 made for TV mini-series, both called "Titanic".

There are 2 seperate "Titanic" made for TV movies, 1996 and *2012*. Both movies has me wondering why did they bother? The 1996 movie is what I call the "poor man's version" because of its low budget and even looks cheap. What I mostly remembered about that one is the lady livid over a dog being one of the survivours. She screamed *A DOG??!!* being very mad over the human life loss.

The producers should have knew of the James Cameron movie in production and did they think theirs would top his? The 1996 movie aired a few months before the theatrical block buster.

Now they just showed this past Saturday *another* made for television, just released this year. It is in 4 parts but were showned together. Looked as cheap as the 1996 version.

*Titanic - (1996)* with flames??

96Titanic.jpg

Edited by: hamradio on Apr 16, 2012 8:33 PM

There was also a 1979 mini-series titled SOS TITANIC. Better than the Scott film and oddly enough, David Warner was in the cast. He would sail the Titanic again for James Cameron. The Queen Mary subbed as the vessel.

I didn't watch the 2012 version that aired this weekend. It's the only film on the subject that I've missed. The idea of sitting through commercials has me avoiding all network television.

I almost forgot about the most stupid version ever made "Titanic II" (2010). The plot had a rebuilt Titanic recreating the original voyage of 1912 but had an 800 mph tsunami throw an iceberg at it and then a 2nd wave traveling at the speed of sound capsizing it like in the movie "The Poseidon Adventure". They were going to make certain *no one* gets out alive.

That movie would have made C?line Dion beat her chest in anger.

Titanic2dvdcover.jpg

I wouldn't mind seeing made-for-TV movies, once in a while, if they are good. TCM has already shown a few, including Man from Uncle movies a few years back, and more recently, at least a couple from a 50's TV series about Rodger's Rangers. One TV movie I'd really like to see is 1988's *Gotham*, starring Tommy Lee Jones and Virginia Madsen.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095246/

TCM also aired HONDO AND THE APACHES which was two episodes of the Ralph Taeger HONDO series. They did have Robert Taylor's RETURN OF THE GUNFIGHTER listed during his SOTM tribute, but it was cancelled at the last minute.

They have also aired SCREEN DIRECTOR'S PLAYHOUSE as well as some Grace Kelly TV dramas from her early days.

There's one on TCM right now - THE DANGEROUS DAYS OF KIOWA JONES.

*Guilty Conscience* (1985) is a wonderful movie which was made for television. It stars Anthony Hopkins and Blythe Danner. I knew it was odd as it did not have the feel of a normal movie. It was after I watched it that I learned it was made for television.

I do not think that TCM is an appropriate venue for made-for-television movies because all of those I have seen do not have the same richness as theatrical movies. I am sure also that while there may be ones which are excellent there are many more which are low-budget melodramas. Allowing any is a slippery slope.

Some of the early "Made-For-TV" movies were quite good. The best of them, in my opinion, was the early Speilberg work *Duel* . Then there's *My Sweet Charlie* with Patty Duke and Al Freeman.

And Hamradio, that poster of the Titanic with fire coming out of the smokestacks...all FOUR of them? One of the smolestacks on the Titanic were there just for show!

Sepiatone

Yeah, my understanding about The Man from Uncle films that aired a few years back is that they were edited from multi-part TV storylines for showing in movie theaters -- probably mostly shown in drive-ins, but that's just a guess. But they were shown in theaters, not just on the tube, which is the difference.

I'd be against this in principle as well without at least a similar caveat above.

That's been part of my argument in other threads on the subject of made-for-tv movies...that fact that some of them HAVE indeed had theatrical showings, although mostly overseas in many cases (such as Duel, for example, among many others). IMHO, if one is suggesting that TCM should be ONLY theatrically-exhibited films, then a tv movie shown theatrically qualifies it to be aired on TCM.

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> Some of the early "Made-For-TV" movies were quite good. The best of them, in my opinion, was the early Speilberg work *Duel* . Then there's *My Sweet Charlie* with Patty Duke and Al Freeman.

It just happens that the two titles that you mentioned, did get a theatrical release in the U.S. after they aired on TV. For DUEL, they even added footage. I really don't have a problem with the better made-for-TV movies airing on TCM. I'd love to see BROTHERHOOD OF THE BELL, THE NIGHT THAT PANICKED AMERICA and FEAR ON TRIAL air again. The "Moviola" mini-series would be a natural.

On the other hand, the disease-of-the-week type films, or MOTHER, MAY I SLEEP WITH DANGER? can remain on Lifetime.

FMC runs Made for TVs from their catalog fairly regularly. I saw the remake they did of INFERNO, called ORDEAL, there a few months ago.

The 1970s were really the glory days for the genre, as all three networks filled two hour blocks with the stuff. Then came the mini series...

I'm a no vote on TV movies here, except for rare instances. I don't even like that the classics are getting newer and newer. But I'm just a fogey...

I'm with you on that one aspect, clore. If not "disease of the week", it was "social issue of the week" with TV movies for a while. Stuff that could have been covered on the old "After School Specials".

Sepiatone

Many say that the "golden age" of TV died with the loss of live anthology shows. I disagree, it just morphed into taped and filmed dramas, and while not all TV movies are great, there were a number of them that can stand next to any of the best live programming of the 50s.

I think the hey day for made for TV movies was the 70's. Many great movies from that period would stand up to any theatrical movies. I would include "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman", 'The Excecution of Private Slovik", "Go Ask Alice" and "Duel". Some of the names associated with these films were John Korty, Cicely Tyson, Lamont Johnson, the screenwriters Levinson and Link, and , of course, Steven Spielberg. I'm not sure how you could make the argument that "Ski Party" and "Winter A-Go-Go" are more suited to a classic movie channel than the aforementioned "made-for-TV" films.