Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for an "older" movie

Stacylk

This is a color movie. It was on tv back either in the late '70's or early '80's. It was about either WWI or WWII. Two women fall in love with the same man. One woman's family is very rich. She is from England. The other woman is from America. The rich woman's family know the man in this story, and in fact, the "rich woman" grew up with this guy. The women are both nurses. The American woman and the guy fall in love. She discovers she is pregnant. The guy writes the American woman a letter to meet him somewhere, but the other lady intercepts the letter. The American woman thinks the guy has abandoned her. She confides in her "friend" that she is pregnant. The "friend" helps her deliver the baby and convinces the "rich woman" to adopt the baby. The rich woman convinces the guy to marry her and raise the baby. Years later, the American woman's daughter goes to England and searches out for her mom's "Long-lost" love, and finally finds him. Meanwhile, she (the woman's daughter) falls in love with the this couple's son. They tell her that they cannot marry b/c they are actually "half-siblings." The ending has a huge twist! I cannot remember any of the actors or actresses. Any guesses?

You said:

>The American woman and the guy fall in love. She discovers she is pregnant.

So is this a boy or girl?

Who is the father of the "daughter" who does the searching for the missing father, who you call the "guy"?

How many children, in all, are in your story?

You also said:

>The "friend" helps her deliver the baby and convinces the "rich woman" to adopt the baby. The rich woman convinces the guy to marry her and raise the baby.

So this has to be a boy, since the American woman's daughter goes off in search of her birth father, and falls in love with the boy, who is the adopted son of his own birth father.

And you said:

>Years later, the American woman's daughter goes to England and searches out for her mom's "Long-lost" love, and finally finds him.

So, the daughter can't be the child that was given up for adoption, since she would already be living with the guy and his rich English wife.

If I'm getting the story mixed up, maybe you can explain it to me again. :)

Okay, here are the spoilers....the American woman gives birth to a boy. The woman from England brings the baby back home. What I can't remember is if she tells the guy that she gave birth to the baby or if she told the guy that the American woman died in childbirth.

The American woman's daughter goes to England many years later, to find her mother's "lover." Towards the end of the movie, the "English" woman (who is now really old) tells her "son" that him and the American woman's daughter that they cannot marry b/c they are related. The "twist" to the ending is that the "daughter" finds out that she was adopted b/c her mother could not have any more childern after giving birth to her son.

Ok, so the boy and girl would share the same mother (not the same father) if both were the American woman's natural children.

But since the girl was adopted, they don't share either parent. :)

That sounds a little familiar, but I can't think of the film.

I think there is a half-brother/half-sister relationship in Scaramouche (1952).

Something similar in Bittersweet Love (1976).

Hi Stacylk . . .

The story sounds familiar to me too . . .

Could it possibly be 'To Each His Own' (1946) with Olivia de Havilland and John Lund ?

~~ SPOILER ALERT ~~

I think it involves her getting pregnant by the man she loves but then she finds out that he's killed during WWII.

Not being married, she has the baby in secret and leaves it on the doorstep of a large family, intending to 'care' for the child, in secret, without letting anyone know she's the mother.

But, as fate would have it, someone else adopts the 'foundling' instead, which makes the biologically mother more and more alienated from her child.

And I believe the country England is mentioned in this movie too.

If this isn't the one, then I hope you find the one you're looking for. I know the 'gnawing' feeling of wondering about the names of certain movies.