Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Born in the wrong time (?)

misswonderly3

Btw Eugenia (and I suppose et al here)...I've just realized that I haven't anwered THE question here if I feel I was "Born in the wrong time"!

Well, actually I HAVE always felt that I was! Uh huh! I've always felt I should've been born around 1900.

(...Jewish, and worked the Borscht Belt in the Catskills every summer from about 1920 to about 1949 and until I got my own early television variety show, whereupon after it was cancelled, I'd work the lounge at Circus Circus, and then in 1973 die in the arms of a 20 y/o Vegas showgirl and with a net worth of $1.3M that my 5 ex-wives would fight over, three of 'em bein' shiksas, AND buried in a shallow grave out where they keep all those old neon signs they don't use anymore in Sin City)

I don't know, Eugenia. I think I'd have a hard time convincin' Spielberg that this WASP-y SoCal Boomer here could pull that all off.

(...and the makeup would HAVE to be killer TOO!...I mean, like Stalone and his Rocky, I'd want to play the title character myself TOO, ya know!)

My goodness, what a conversation. Feels like the dinner party from DINNER AT EIGHT.

I was thinking of Pasadena, then my security software starting acting up, and couldn't get anything done!..

Anyway, I heard a request for the West, and I haven't access right now to my files of Glacier NP, I do have some others of wild beauty, after a house..

post.gif

h4. Pasadena Craftsman

Some miles north off the PCH, south of San Simeon..

post.gif

h4. California coast

*Bonne nuit..*

Edited by: casablancalover on May 25, 2012 1:08 AM

Love the pic of Riverboat Landing Restaurant in Wilmington, I will need to visit that someday; don't even care what the food taste like.

h4. Glacier National Park

post.gif

A little 3 mile hike up to this lake on The Road to the Sun

h5. I will try to find some more shots without me and my uncle Arvid in them.

Edited by: casablancalover on May 25, 2012 7:32 AM

No joke here, Charlotte, but that Pasadena Craftsman there sure looks a whole lot like my wife's sister's house of a few decades past. Her and her husband lived in the shadow of Wrigley Mansion right off Orange Grove Blvd, and there were a few times when my wife and I would spend New Year's Eve there with them so we could arrive early to the Rose Bowl Parade route and stake out a good vantage point for the thing.

Eeh! Just envision listenin' to Nelson Riddle's "Theme from Route 66" there Dark, and you should have NO problem gettin' in tune with that picture of a road that Jake just posted!

(...always here to help, ya know!) ;-)

Wow! Well said there, Dark. I know exactly what ya mean. It seems a certain incident which took place on a Dallas street in November '63 was the "tipping point" for all this change here, huh!

Speaking of the "Theme from Route 66" and how this song brings back memories...

In the summer of '62 and when I was 10 y/o, my father drove me in his '59 Chevy station wagon back to his old stompin' grounds of Indianapolis from our home in L.A. to visit the family "back east"...just him and I. This was when I-40 had just started being built, and so it was pretty much on Route 66 we traveled.

Now, MY "job" was to hold the Rand-McNally map and to man the AM radio in this road trip, and that summer of '62 was when this theme song from that old TV series had become a hit recording. And so, as we made our way east, and as that Delco radio in that Chevy would pick up each new radio station along the way, it seemed there was an ever constant reception of this song coming out of that one speaker sittin' on that dashboard.

And, as I recall, it was by the time Pop and I reached Winslow AZ that I started imagining him as Buz and me as Tod, and that station wagon as a shiny new '62 Corvette!

I understand exactly what you mean, darkblue, *Mad Men* is depressing me for some reason this season. Maybe it's the charcters..

though my period of a profound sense of deju-vu exists late WW2 till 1960. Movies from that period have such a strong psychic pull. Then, I was 8 when 1960 happened, and oh, do I remember and loved *Route 66* (I liked Tod -Martin Milner) My older brother's faithfully watched every Friday night--was it Fridays? I seem to think it was.

That's an Awesome Photo of the Waldorf Astoria, circa 1900, Eugenia . . .

sort of 'ties is' with Dargo's 'feeling' he shouldv'e been born around 1900, as well . . .

(funny thing, Dargo . . . I, too, have always felt that I shouldv'e been born aroung the 'turn of the century' . . . but unlike you, I don't have the rest of my life 'mapped' out to every 'jot & tittle'. I guess I was just going to hang around until I fell into a 'Quantum Leap' of sorts and take if from there. You're well prepared, my friend ! )

Dargo ~~

{ . . . In the summer of '62 and when I was 10 y/o, my father drove me in his '59 Chevy station wagon back to his old stompin' grounds of Indianapolis from our home in L.A. to visit the family "back east"...just him and I. This was when I-40 had just started being built, and so it was pretty much on Route 66 we traveled . . . }

. . . and driving that distance without Seat Belts, I bet . . . did we have seat belts back then ? I don't remember . . .

SansFin . . .

What a Glorious Home turned Museum . . .

It is so Exquisite and Beautiful. I love the Archways and the Religious Pictures along with it's finite and intricate detailings throughout.

It just takes my breath away !

Well actually ugaarte, truth be told here, I really have never felt like I wanted to be born in 1900. ;-)

Nope, I've always pretty much been happy being a part of the American Boomer generation. I think WE have had it the best of any generation there ever was, and from the looks of it here, MAYBE having it the best there ever will be....though of course I hope I'm wrong about that.

Ya see, because I like to joke around a lot(as I'm sure you can tell), that whole thing about being a Jewish comedian circa the time that all those others great old Jewish comedians such as Groucho, Jack Benny, George Burns et al were makin' their rounds was just my way of sayin' that I think it would have been a lot of fun hangin' with guys like them for at least a little while.

From casablancalover:

[Route 66|http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcZ1k4d02KA&feature=fvsr]

(Left click to see the video, Right click to stay on this picture)

I clicked your link and some of the others I found available there as well. What a history this road has! The buildings, open and abandoned, had character and no zip on the interstate can ever match a trip on this highway. Thank you.

Oh, and btw ugaarte...nope, I don't think that old Chevy "Greenbrier"(ironically enough) station wagon of my Pop's had any seat belts in it. I think the only thing that would've stopped you from goin' right through the windshield in a worse case scenario would've been that metal dashboard...with of course that one lone little radio speaker in it where the smooth sounds of Nelson Riddle would've been comin' out of. ;-)

(...I think it wasn't until about '68 or so that the Feds mandated seat belts in all cars)