Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Born in the wrong time (?)

misswonderly3

> {quote:title=ugaarte wrote:}{quote}

> SansFin . . .

> What a Beautiful Picture of Reindeers or Elks !

> These look absolutely Awesome against a backdrop of Snow.

They are reindeer on the Kolyma Highway which was once the most famous road in the world. It is said that it is good luck to see reindeer on the road because they bunch together and they do not move when the temperature is lower than fifty degrees below zero.

> SansFin . . .

> What a Glorious Home turned Museum . . .

> It is so Exquisite and Beautiful. I love the Archways and the Religious Pictures along with it's finite and intricate detailings throughout.

> It just takes my breath away !

She placed her first significant art purchases in an addition to her home where she entertained friends. A larger addition was built as her collection grew. The collection has long since expanded into the original home.

Many people say it is the greatest museum in the world. It does have the world's largest collection of paintings.

The museum's official website offers a virtual tour:

http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/08/hm88_0.html

The site requires Java to be enabled.

Thank you for posting the Memorial Day remembrance. I will be remembering my brother-in-law, who was drafted and died in Vietnam in 1970, and my father-in-law, who was with the Signal Corps at D-Day +30 and the Battle of the Bulge in WW2.

And I will thank my older brothers, and my son for their service in the USAF. But, they will be modest as always and just say they are proud to serve this great nation.

I am assuming you do not know that this is a picture of Chimney Rock outside of Ridgway, Colorado.

In True Grit, Chimney Rock served as a backdrop during Rooster Cogburn?s (John Wayne) unforgettable horse-riding, gun-slinging match with reins in his teeth against three outlaws, including Ned Pepper (Robert Duvall).

Beautiful photos of America's west, where many western films and television series have been filmed. The landscape has been immortalized forever.

This photo is just off the old Route 66 (now I-40) in the Petrified National Park. The photo is of me in the Painted Desert.

2qtfiia.jpg

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> And I will thank my older brothers, and my son for their service in the USAF. But, they will be modest as always and just say they are proud to serve this great nation.

Capuchin was in USAF also.

This is an odd holiday for us. We were both in the military when we met. I have one of my uniform tunics and it fits even after all these years. We attended an event at a military base two years ago. The senior officers greeted me warmly when told of my service. Many of the younger people acted as if my very presence was a disgrace to the event.

Thank you for telling us about your experience, SansFin. I am not surprised, and happy to hear of the graciousness of our senior officers at the event. My son would have found it interesting to talk with you, I'm sure, and he was a Senior Airman. Just rack it up to more worldly experiences. Barry had many, in and out of the military. I am not sure what to make of the youngsters there, They're reaction is more of fear and ignorance, particularly of history. There is more to take in than the Cold War.

Be proud you can still wear your tunic! I can still wear my wedding dress, though I wouldn't wear it again because it's out of date.

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> Be proud you can still wear your tunic! I can still wear my wedding dress, though I wouldn't wear it again because it's out of date.

I thank you for your kind words. You are to be congratulated that you have retained your youthful figure.

I have a moment of confusion about your not wearing your dress because of its age. This thread began as a celebration of things past and a disavowal of discarding pieces of our history because they are not the current style. I can not think where one might wear a wedding dress unless you are being married. ;) I do hope you find an event when you can again wear it with pride!

Aha! You make a very good point, SansFin.

Truth is, I find architecture is wonderful for marking a space and time, but fashion clothing is traditionally au courant -that is, it is difficult to find clothing that isn't awkward-looking beyond 1 to 2 years of it's manufacture. I do have some jackets that are more than 12 years old, but they are more classically tailored; and I own a simple black evening gown that is pretty timeless, although now the look is for color and flashy fabric.

There is a wonderful little art shop downtown here with a clothing restoration business. they were selling the perfect little tea dress, circa 1958. It is something I would have dropped big bucks for, maybe 25 years ago. The two ladies trying on the fashions were in their twenties, and they looked terrific in them. They were finding dresses for a wedding they were attending. More power to them!

Sansfin wrote:

"I can not think where one might wear a wedding dress unless you are being married. ;) I do hope you find an event when you can again wear it with pride!"

.......................................................................................

Well Charlotte, you COULD always wear that wedding gown again IF Alan Swann ever comes to visit you! ;-)

Sorry to interject here, but what Sans just said reminded me of that very funny scene in "My Favorite Year", where Peter O'Toole's movie star character Alan Swann goes to Benjy's(his "chaperone") family home in Brooklyn, and his star-struck Aunt Sadie, obvious to Swann and to us, comes dressed for the occasion in her wedding gown. Swann, attempting to be courteous about it says to her, "And my, what a lovely dress you're wearing here.", to which Sadie replies, "Why, THANK YOU Mr.Swann. I've only ever worn it once before for another special occasion, just like this one!"...or something to that effect, anyway.

(...like I said, sorry to interject here, but I LOVE that movie, and particularly that scene in it)

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}

> Well Charlotte, you COULD always wear that wedding gown again IF Alan Swann ever comes to visit you! ;-)

I believe that would be perfect! :)

I love the movie also. I am both surprised and embarrassed that I did not think of that scene.

SansFin . . .

That 'Castle' is just 'Out of the World', overlooking that body of water. How thrilling it must be to visit such a place.

Where exactly is this location?

I find bodies of water always 'calling' to me. And I'm not a swimmer, at least I don't think I am . . . but I never want to fear water . . . Only Respect it! ~

Just like that Fall ! I love the movement. I told my sons that I want them to take me to Niagra Falls, one day, hopefully by my 60th birthday, which will be next year. I find the Rushing water so alluring . . . plus the negative ions it's suppose to release, leaving one in an 'ethereal' state . . . Not to mention the Rainbows they would create, too.

Dargo2 and SansFin, I am relieved that I will not have the opportunity to meet Alan Swann. LOL.

ugaarte-

You may want to put Wright's Falling Water on your list. Built over a stream and waterfall.

post.gif

Not nearly of the same design, but fascinating to me.

And when I saw SansFin pic, I believe they are reindeer, not elk, but I could be mistaken.

Edited by: casablancalover on May 27, 2012 3:57 PM

I'm in agreement with you, Casablancalover . . .

That is such a Unique structure . . . and by Frank Lloyd Wright . . .

AND built over a Stream and Waterfall yet . . .

What a 'Shagri-La' !

Thanks for Posting !

> That 'Castle' is just 'Out of the World', overlooking that body of water. How thrilling it must be to visit such a place.

> Where exactly is this location?

It is near Yalta. It was built as a private home one hundred years ago. It is now a restaurant. Its website is:

http://lastochka.com.ua/index.html

You must click on the "Welcome" word for information in English. There is a history and a few more photographs there.

> I find the Rushing water so alluring

You may find images of very beautiful waterfalls if you use Google Images and search for:

Dzhur-Dzhur waterfall

Kamianka waterfall

Uchan-su waterfall

Shipot waterfall

Rusilivski waterfall

Hey, fxreyman, did you see this building while you were at the painted desert? I think this is a building the Joad family pass when they are driving through Arizona on Route 66 in The Grapes of Wrath. I also think old 66 used to wind past this building.

My family and I passed this building when we went to California on the same route, old 66, on our way to California in 1953:

Painted%20Desert%20Inn%20monochrome.jpg