Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Born in the wrong time (?)

misswonderly3

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> I will say, however, that I'm very surprised that one of the few things you say you associate with Canada is volcanoes.

I watched a television documentary on the diamond mine which was found by analyzing where an old volcano had stood before a glacier leveled the landscape. I researched a little more at the time and I remember now that Canada is part of the Pacific "Ring of Fire".

So that's why Johnny Cash had a fondness for Canada. B-)

Well, your television show aside, whatever happened with this country's geology millions of years ago, it does not and has not had in recorded history any volcanoes whatsoever, even the inactive ones are almost non-existant.

As I said, if you want to study up on Canada for Jeopardy ( hey, Alex Trebek is Canadian) your best bet is to talk about Canada's vast supply of fresh water - more lakes and rivers than anywhere else in the world.

And, of course, dinosaur bones.

But never mind that documentary - I'd forget about the volcanoes. No volcanoes here. Sometimes, especially in the middle and eastern half of the country, tornadoes. That's as good as it gets for natural disasters. Oh, and floods, on account of all the water.

> {quote:title=misswonderly wrote:}{quote}

> As I said, if you want to study up on Canada for Jeopardy

I have much still to learn about the United States. I have seen monuments near here dedicated to things of which I know positively nothing. For some reason I can not wrap my mind around all the names of the States. I can list approx. a dozen and then I go blank.

>misswonderly wrote: Sometimes, especially in the middle and eastern half of the country, tornadoes. That's as good as it gets for natural disasters. Oh, and floods, on account of all the water.

Back in Minnesota, similar story, but I thought our greatest natural disaster was winter. Happened every year.

:D When I saw the Chicago Theatre photo I thought of that swordfight at the end of *Scaramouche* as this looks so much like the setting for it. This is almost too beautiful to believe. Thank you to all those who restored it from one who will probably never see it in person but is grateful that such a thing exists to be enjoyed.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Santa Claus is fat because he gorges himself with ho-ho's.

A man can expect to become fat if he works only one day a year.

I have heard that he is jolly because he knows where all the bad girls live.

I truly feel that I was born a hundred years late. It was a time of elegance and awe. A grocery store was built in Moscow in 1901. Its full name was: "Eliseev Gastronome with Russian and Foreign Wine Cellars". I believe it is the place of which my grandmother spoke where they bought bread still hot from the oven. I can imagine myself walking the aisles to chose truffles, exotic fruit, caviar and oysters.

It has been newly restored using the original plans and photographs:

Eliseevsky-grocery-store-Moscow-05.jpg

Eliseevsky-grocery-store-Moscow-09.jpg

Eliseevsky-store-in-moscow-hall.jpg

Eliseevsky-store-in-moscow-interior.jpg

I have yet to find a Safeway or Piggly Wiggly that compares.

Hi folks;

I've been thinking lately, maybe this thread would fit better in the "Favourites" forum, possibly with a title change such as "Favourite Places". What do you guys think?

I have no idea how to effect that change. and have put it to the "WebAdmin" people (Michael?) to look into it.

Hopefully, if they do so they'll post a notice about the thread's "relocation" here first.

SansFin ~~

{ . . . I can imagine myself walking the aisles to chose truffles, exotic fruit, caviar and oysters . . . }

Ditto on that thought, SansFin . . .

And I can just hear my heels 'clicking' on that polished, tiled floors, too.

What an Impressive and Elegant place to shop for fine cooking.

It doesn't appear that shopping carts are allowed . . . probably too much

'clanging' noises for such an elite place. Looks like Only the hand baskets are used. I believe most of the European shopping is done in this manner, anyways. Am I right ?

But this is just Superb and a sheer delight . . . for my palate. tfemoticons.gif

Thanks for posting !

5417995539_7e1cff061a.jpg

3652756727_774b25548f.jpg

gastonemt3.jpg

The Confederate Memorial carving on Stone Mountain is the largest high relief sculpture in the world, towering 400 feet above the ground, measuring 90 x 190 feet, and recessed 42 feet into the mountain. Atlanta, Ga.

Jake in the Heartland

Edited by: JakeHolman on Jun 6, 2012 10:39 PM

Edited by: JakeHolman on Jun 7, 2012 12:40 AM

It wouldn't bother me, misswonderly to move the thread to Favorites. But, do you believe that to be necessary?

I know General Discussions is a very fast moving topic heading, and a thread not posted for 24 hours can end up on the 3rd page!

As long as we have great posts like yours, SansFin, or Jakes to keep us entertained, I will be happy.

It's your thread and I enjoy doing this and frankly don't know why but I also know I will come to a point where it bores me and I will move on. Right now I enjoy it. It's your call not mine but I've found it a great thread and enjoy looking at all the posts and just because I don't give 'em a thumbs up does not mean I do not like 'em.

Jake