Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Born in the wrong time (?)

misswonderly3

Yeah, misswonderly, what our southern gentleman wrote. Couldn't have said better myself..

Tomorrow is sort of a big day for me. I will be doing a bit at open mike night. I have a 5 minute short story and I hope I kill. It will be a first for me, and I wish I could invite you all to the cafe for support. Its all part of my "Facing my fears" month. I am going to stretch my experiences and my heart for what I truly want in my life.

We are the sum total of our experiences, so let me keep with the mountain theme.

When I moved down here from Minnesota, I traveled down from Chattanooga to Atlanta, taking the steep grade down to the river, very late at night, in the rain and fog, my truck and car tow behind straining to keep the speed from going into free fall. It was frightening being so foggy I couldn't see the bottom of the descent; it seemed to go on for 15 minutes or more! Seeing Jake's post reminded how deep and steep it really was, and if I had seen in the light, I might not have made the trip! Sometimes its best we just jump at it, trusting that our faith in ourselves will see us through. Wanting a dream that strongly will stretch us to reach it.

I am remembering back in '92 being at Crater Lake in Oregon:

h4. WIZARD ISLAND

post.gif

post.gif

h4. THE PHANTOM SHIP OF CRATER LAKE

I will seek some from the Road to the Sun in Glacier NP as well.

Edited by: casablancalover on Jun 6, 2012 11:29 PM

Hi MissWonderly . . .

It's not a bad idea if you did have this thread moved over to Favorites . . . welcoming Only the postings of these beautiful Places and Architecture . . . A sort of a 'get-away' place where we can 'escape' to, to see what Beautiful Sceneries have been posted thus far.

But like Jake made mentioned that even though he's enjoying it now, he may tire of it later . . . and that may fall true with the other posters, as well.

I'm enjoying it whether here in General Discussions or in any other Forum. So it would really be your call. And like Casablancalover says, that as long as the Photos keep getting posted, we're 'enjoying the ride'. (I'm paraphrasing, of course).

What do YOU think, MissWonderly ? tfemoticons.gif

Whoa . . . That is a very intriguing Photo, SansFin . . . happy.gif

A church you say ? . . . I wonder how the parishoners made their way to Sunday Service. I see something of a 'lift' like object to the side there. Could it be they were 'lifted' to service ?

But it must have been a real 'Challenge' to bring the building material up there, in the first place, to build this 'Church'.

How Awesome !

> {quote:title=ugaarte wrote:}{quote}

> I wonder how the parishoners made their way to Sunday Service. I see something of a 'lift' like object to the side there. Could it be they were 'lifted' to service ?

I believe that for much of history in the area that people went to church nearly every day. It was a trait of the Industrial Revolution that people had such demands placed on their time that they had to limit their attendance.

Here is an image of the side of the pillar which shows the ladder:

14-010311_4.jpg

The climb is only forty meters.

> But it must have been a real 'Challenge' to bring the building material up there, in the first place, to build this 'Church'.

The pillar is limestone and I believe the church is built of limestone. I suspect that what they had to dig away to make the top level is what they used to build the church.

The Governor's Island pics are beautiful. Yet another lovely place to put on my list. I was reading about Campobello just the other day and how remote it really was. Maybe I can find some pictures of that, I know Mr Holman had already posted some from Warm Springs GA.

SansFin, I saw you pics of the church in Georgia (Russia) and immediately thought of this movie:

post.gif

h4. Can you guess which Powell and Pressberger production?

Edited by: casablancalover on Jun 7, 2012 10:43 PM

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> SansFin, I saw you pics of the church in Georgia (Russia) and immediately thought of this movie:

> Can you guess which Powell and Pressberger production?

I believe it is in *Black Narcissus* (1947). It was common for monasteries and other religious retreats to be built in inaccessible places and are often perched on the edge of a cliff.

This is Meteora in Greece:

meteora.jpg?w=300&h=276

I must give you a word: to equate Georgia with Russia is not polite. The Kartvelebi are proud people. A woman of Georgia is likely to slap your face if you say she is Russian!

This is very interesting that you say that..

I wrote Russia in parantheses to define it from Jake's Georgia (for the truly uninitiated).. My aunt Vera was from Georgia and her mother (I guess my Great Aunt in-law) always would speak in her mother tongue when excited. She would show me on the map where she was from. I never was slapped.

My choir director for many years was a Jewish Immigrant from the Ukraine and his mastery of Christian hymns was phenomenal; many times visitors to Church assumed he was Lutheran! He would smile and thank them. The choir knew the real story and if Semyon liked to wink at us about it, that was okay.

Odessa has always been very mutli-cultural. I believe it is also true for all of Ukraine. I know an Orthodox Priest who knows all the rites and traditions of Judaism and he will intervene with the police until a Rabbi can arrive.

St. Paul Lutheran Church in Odessa Ukraine:

ArticleImages_35376_untitled-0666.jpg

34470697.jpg

This is how it looked in 1927:

000dzryw

Brody Synagogue:

58.jpg

That's what threads do. misswonderly's an easy-going Canadian, so a good personality to start threads...

I do try to think of things that I connect with another time. But places touch me as well. Sometimes nostalgic, but not always.

post.gif

h4. Glacier NP

Edited by: casablancalover on Jun 9, 2012 5:11 PM

{font:Times New Roman}B-) This is the most beautiful rainbow photo I’ve ever seen and the mountain views are magnificent. I now know why all those red and black clad Bulldog fans and players fight so passionately for their home state each year in Jacksonville. Were I on the other side of that state line I would too. Is there a way to add this to my desktop background? The same goes for the Glacier National Park photo.{font}

{font:Times New Roman}I’ve never been to Key West but Duval Street looks charming. I have the original but now politically incorrect Key Lime Pie recipe. I use egg yolks of course but substitute whipped topping for the meringue in the filling and pipe it around the edges and put a dollop on each slice before serving. Your slice has too much egg and air and not enough Key Lime filling for me. I’ll believe you that what there is is good. {font}

{font:Times New Roman}{font}

> {quote:title=wouldbestar wrote:}{quote}

> This is the most beautiful rainbow photo I've ever seen and the mountain views are magnificent. I now know why all those red and black clad Bulldog fans and players fight so passionately for their home state

The image is labeled as being photographed in Khevsureti which is in the nation of Georgia. I was there in the early 1970s. The area is quite beautiful. I have no photographs of the area of my own as photography was greatly discouraged.

I admit I am so partial to the Blue Heaven. They make they Hollandaise with Key Lime as well, so their Benedict's are awesome. I have always preferred meringue to whipped cream, so their version with it and a graham cracker crust pushes my culinary buttons. But it is almost a quarter pie--enough for two. the patio seating has roaming chickens and it is a fun introduction to the Island Vibe when they brush your leg wandering under your chair.

Go ahead and use the Snipping Tool and save some for your screen savers.

6833784439_77f24c151c_z.jpg

7242792136_292fb09350_z.jpg

He's doing a little ultralight fishing with light spinning tackle. Looks like he's using a rooster tail or rebel critter for bait. It's a little spotted bass.

3477734175_984b8745e9_z.jpg

Black Creek in the Desoto National Forest, Mississippi, 1905.

Jake in the Heartland

> SansFin wrote:

> The image is labeled as being photographed in Khevsureti which is in the nation of Georgia. I was there in the early 1970s. The area is quite beautiful. I have no photographs of the area of my own as photography was greatly discouraged.

Thank you for that clarification. I can now go back to being a proud Gator without reservations. The photo is still beautiful.