Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Born in the wrong time (?)

misswonderly3

The news reports of Alec Baldwin's wedding say it was at Old St. Patrick's Cathedral. I've been in the one on Fifth Avenue and I think you could fit all of my parish churches in it. What does the old one look like? I'd say Alec and bride picked the right one as the other is way too large for me.

:) I'm smoking ribs for those of us old folks still here today and hanging my flags from the windows. Thank you so much for the beautiful inspriation from *America the Beautiful.* I'm still not certain if we really need to change our National Anthem but if we do, this is my choice.

3709570740_2ccbd4aff9_z.jpg

Fort Massachusetts

2127590533_1ba958b127_z.jpg

640px-FortMass20020410.jpg

Hurricane Katrina did not destroy her.

Ship Island, Mississippi off the Biloxi and Gulfport coast. A lot of history...

Jake in the Heartland

Edited by: JakeHolman on Jul 6, 2012 11:30 PM

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}Happy Fourth for you, Star. Stay safe, and I am heading out to a movie this afternoon (Moonrise Kingdom) and then joining friends at a civic celebration this evening.

>

>

>

> Fireworks from a safe distance.. :)

:) I don't know about safe distance but the complex held their own display in the courtyard section and they seemingly exploded right in front of my fourth floor windows. They were breathtaking! It put a perfect cap on my picnic which went great. The ribs got finished off today.

Whoa! I would be freaked out by that! I hope it didn't run on too late into the night. Last night, I was enjoying where I was in the right time.. at the ArtWalk here locally:

eg76op.jpg

I do like the Riverwalk area of downtown Fort Myers. I was about to step into the New French Connection Cafe for dinner. Sorry, I will try to capture of photo of that.. Exterior's lovely.

4006345923_b053927d88_z.jpg

3750368368_ce2e3ab648_z.jpg

Jarrell Plantation. Juliette, Georgia. About two thirds of the cotton at that time in the South was produced on middle class plantations like this.

The owner was up at the crack of dawn working with the slaves doing back-breaking work till dark. A tough life and certainly not like Tara.

This is the owner's home.

Jake in the Heartland.

Edited by: JakeHolman on Jul 8, 2012 11:32 PM

{font:Times New Roman}I’m getting concerned. Jake’s photos of the Jarrell Plantation showed a story about Southern life that isn’t often told but needed to be. I remember a family like them being a part of the original *Roots* series. This explains why those who weren’t rich still fought for the Confederacy.{font}

{font:Times New Roman}This does not detract from what most of the slaves had to endure because of that shameful practice but tells the whole story of what life was like during those times for all who were there. {font}

{font:Times New Roman}Bilgewasser’s photo of the slave quarters was equally enlightening but putting it out after Jake’s and the want ad for slaves after his ones of Natchez tells me he/she has a chip on his/her shoulder. I’m not racist and don’t believe Jake is either; we’re both proud of our Southern births. I think we both recognize its wrongs. Do we have to fight the Civil War over again? {font}