Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Born in the wrong time (?)

I'm so Enjoying viewing your 'Outdoorsey', Adventurous Pictures, JakeHolman . . .

Thank you for Sharing . . .

This Photo came across my Facebook just recently.

This is a Family Member, related somehow, indirectly.

They are located in the Southern part of Texas . . . and the Place that they are pictured

at is called, 'Goose Island'. And this Huge Fish they caught is called, a 'Black Drum'.

Tha'ts about the Only information that has come across so far ... sorry about that.

But I just had to 'Share', too. Maybe someone is Familiar with the 'Black Drum' Fist (?)

427414_502842533062537_567175363_n.jpg

This is my Cousin, Steve . . . He's always Enjoyed the Outdoors & Camping.

Here he went Camping with Friends, 400 Miles North of Chicago Illinois . . .

391232_506797612667270_1274733333_n.jpg

(I wanted to Print More Photos of his Camping Adventures but Unfortunately, for some Reason,

I'm having Problems Posting them @ this Time . . . but anyways, I'm sure you all get the 'gist' of it all ! !

(I'll try again later !

Edited by: ugaarte on Aug 18, 2012 3:48 PM

Your relative did a fine job. My first foray fishing was when I was five years old with my older brother Al. He took me to a pier at Lake Harriett, where I did catch a little sun perch. Problem was, I thought at first I had caught the line on something underwater so I was afraid Al would get angry at me. I quietly put down the toy fishing pole and said I needed to go potty right away (my standard escape excuse at the time.. Cut me some slack, I was only five)..

Al really pulled that big gallute (maybe 6 inches) out of the water, then said it needed to go back and grow some more.

There is always a good fishing story out there, but mine is what it is..

Star,

Hope you're having a great weekend. Texas has been hit hard but other parts of the

country are taking it on the chin, too.

You will see further increases in food prices at your favorite local grocery store. Corn

is the main culprit.

No, those are not pictures of my family. I chose those pictures because they conveyed

the fun for fishing.

I've done a lot of Largemouth Bass fishing in the past with some Crappie fishing, too.

Fishing is a great way to unwind and enjoy God's creation.

Jake

Ugaarte,

Really like those pictures. Never caught a fish that big. I've been on Deep Sea Charter boat

excursions and never really enjoyed deep sea saltwater fishing. Each to his own.

However, I do enjoy marsh fishing where there is brackish water where you might have

a big bull red or speckled trout hit your Largemouth Bass lure.

Here's some pictures and have a great weekend.

IMAGE28.JPG

Wade fishing for Speckled Trout on the Mississippi Gulf coast.

5867594306_2fb9622d68_z.jpg

Nice Redfish caught on Fly Rod in Lousiana Marsh.

6485135423_d83435f1b0.jpg

Largemouth Bass caught on a Buzzbait early in the morning in the Louisiana Marsh.

Jake in the Heartland

>wouldbestar wrote: Lastly, is Madison Park in New Orleans? From the Farragut stature, I?d guess so.

Hi, Star!

No, it's not in NO, though I don't know if an Admiral for the Union would be honored in the South. This is a statue I was reading about in great detail this last week in David McCullough's _The Greater Journey_. Largely, about the adventures and experiences of 19th Century Americans in Paris to broaden their worldview and study art.

The statue was a commissioned work by Augustus Saint Gaudens, and it sits in New York City, not far from Fifth Avenue at Madison Square Park.

I have be trying to find a good photo of the "Farragut window" at the United States Naval Academy Chapel, where the archangel Michael is showing the way through the minefields of Mobile's harbor.

Edited by: casablancalover2 on Aug 18, 2012 10:22 PM

5548373054_afaaa89160_z.jpg

Blue Catfish from Mississippi. Many a fisherman in the State looks forward to his time on the water to catch one.

3585325767_b7978bb5ef_z.jpg

Fried Southern Catfish a Southern Tradition. Catfish, hush puppies, french fries and cole slaw.

We also like some sweet Southern tea and get joked about how fat we are. I've been to New York City and seen a lot of fat people, too eatin' those pizzas.

Jake in the Heartland

450px-Cathedral-Basilica_of_the_Immacula

The Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception, seat of the Archdiocese of Mobile

640px-250_St._Anthony_Street_Mobile_AL_0

A house within the De Tonti Square Historic District.

Mobile, Alabama

Jake in the Heartland

389659369_7aa913747a_z.jpg

97618242_adf2227f1a_z.jpg?zz=1

77856426_49b85902e0_z.jpg?zz=1

Mississippi Gulf Coast, Hurricane Katrina 2005.

As a side, if you are ever in the path of a major Hurricane and given warning to get out, GET OUT!

I know, I went through Hurricane Katrina and did all the right preparations but was just lucky. That's all.

Jake in the Heartland

1267282815_4f072c501a_z.jpg?zz=1

Biloxi-Ocean Springs bridge across the bay destroyed by Katrina.

The storm surge was as high as 20 feet.

39270405_569f4db41f.jpg

At the other end of the Coast the Bay St Louis bridge is destroyed by Katrina with a storm surge of 30 feet and some locals say much higher.

85620923_bc17b95ea4_z.jpg

Another shot of the Bay St Louis Bridge.

Jake in the Heartland

Edited by: JakeHolman on Aug 26, 2012 10:03 PM

The Survivor of Disasater -- Lucky

Lucky appeared on our door step 8 years ago. Alone, no one to take care of him, his kind nature compelled us to take him in. He must have been less than a year old; the vet considering 4 months.

Such a large size for a cat, 22 pounds, he has been the kindest pet we have known.

Enduring the mosquitoes of Louisiana, and one apparent hit from a vehicle -- he miracously endured a national disaster.

We only intended to be away for a short while, never anticipating the scope or aftermath of Katrina. If only we had known. We could not bring him with us since those who maintained the stay-over location for us would not accept pets. We had done this many times, evacuating for hurricanes– so we would leave him behind.

Katrina hit August 29.

For weeks the police would not allow us to enter our community afer the water had gone down. A spray painted message on the house door below the water mark stated: Cat recovered. We desperately sought kennels and humane societies, but could not locate Lucky.

Sept 29 we heard him at what was orignially was our home. He had somehow lived through it all. He survived ! -- liviing in the devastated house apparently drinking the only fresh water from a broken pipe, and for two weeks atop the house, higher still above 7 feet of water for two weeks or in the tops of trees.

How he got food for this amount of time with a vast flood everywhere is beyond comprehension.

Through our relocation of two years, and attending four school systems in various cities --- he remains with us. (One rental owner charged a $ 300 cat deposit before we could move in, nonrefundable. The unusually high rent was not uncommon in New Orleans, and as such we too got no rental deposit (for the rear double we resided in ) though the residence of 400 square feet was in ideal condition when we left for still another location..Lucky had not, and did not prove detrimental to our residence.

Truly, he is a testament to the name Lucky. He is with us a member of our family on our journey.

Lucky is the Black Cat.

Jake in the Heartland

Jake . . .

That is such a 'Poignant' story you tell about 'LUCKY' the Cat.

He is simply Adorable . . . and such a 'Survivor' during one of history's worst catastrophes . . .

He appears so 'Precious' all Curled up in his 'Blue Box'.

He's definately one of Nature's finest . . . as are the other animals that survived Katrina.

They truly are a 'Testament' !

Thanks for sharing. happy.gif

Hi Ugaarte,

Thanks for the kind remarks. I am an animal lover to a fault. My family owns dogs and cats

Those folks going through Hurricane Isaac have my prayers. Many of

their pets are in danger. I wish the best for them.

Here's one more story before I move on to another topic and I wish

you and your family the best.

6197920247_6c5008b38c.jpg

Tomball was a refugee from Hurricane Rita. Shortly after the two hurricanes (Katrina and Rita) there was a benefit at Rockefeller Center where people were building prefab homes (many on their lunch hour) and selling things to aid the survivors. The North Shore Animal Center had a group of animals rescued from Rita. Two of my colleagues adopted dogs, and I fell for a year-old cat. I took her home, where I live with my husband, stepdaughter, and two cats. She looked around, and I could almost see the wheels spinning in her head as she said to herself, "Okay, the gray ones goes with this one, the black one belongs there. Aha!" She climbed on my husband's head and said, "Mine!" He named her after a town in Texas on Hurricane Rita's route.

Jake

Jake . . .

That is such an Enriching Story about your cat 'Tomball' . . .

or Rather, your Husband's Cat !

How Clever & WISE is that, to have 'Claimed' your

husband's 'Head' as his . . . That is so Whimsical !

And very 'Territorial', I might ADD . . .

You gotta Love 'em ! . . .

Dogs, Cats . . . All GOD's Wonderful Creatures

in the Animal Kingdom.

They seem to possess an Extra SENSE that we are

NOT aware of . . . BUT has Served to AID us (humans)

when we Needed it.

Thanks so much for Sharing, Jake.

Hi Ugaarte,

Thanks for the response and it is a great story. I know of stories

where the cat or dog was not reunited with its owner till over a

year.

By the way, that is not me or my cat. It's just a great story I

thought you and others might enjoy. Just glad she found a

home.

Have a great weekend.

Jake

• 3 weeks later...

640px-Lincoln_and_generals_at_Antietam.j

Lincoln with the Northern Troops after the battle.

640px-Bloodylane.JPG

The Bloody Lane where fierce fighting and distinguished bravery from

both sides occurred.

609px-Confederate_dead_gathered_for_buri

Confederate dead from the battle.

The Battle of Antietam was the bloodiest battle in American history for a single day battle with over 23,000 casualties.

The battle took place on September the 17th, 1862.

Before the battle, Union troops found three cigars wrapped in a sheet of paper. The paper was General Lee's plans and tactics for the battle and they were delivered to General McClellan.

Jake in the Heartland

Hi Star,

Thanks for the input.

A friend of mine participates in a yearly Battle of Gettysburg reenactment and he is

from Pennsylvania. So, you can figure which side he is on in the gathering.

Some historians believe Antietam was the most important battle in the War between the

States because had the South won that Battle, it was a draw, England and France might

very well have officially recognized the South as a nation.

Shortly after the Battle, Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation that did not free one

slave. Not one. In fact, he confided in private it had no Constitutional basis at all.

You take care and hope all is well.

Jake

Misinformed, as usual.

It is common to encounter a claim that the Emancipation Proclamation did not immediately free a single slave. As a result of the Proclamation, many slaves were freed during the course of the war, beginning with the day it took effect. Eyewitness accounts at places such as Hilton Head, South Carolina, and Port Royal, South Carolina, record celebrations on January 1 as thousands of blacks were informed of their new legal status of freedom.

Estimates of the number of slaves freed immediately by the Emancipation Proclamation are uncertain. One contemporary estimate put the 'contraband' population of Union-occupied North Carolina at 10,000, and the Sea Islands of South Carolina also had a substantial population. Those 20,000 slaves were freed immediately by the Emancipation Proclamation." This Union-occupied zone where freedom began at once included parts of eastern North Carolina, the Mississippi Valley, northern Alabama, the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, a large part of Arkansas, and the Sea Islands of Georgia and South Carolina. Although some counties of Union-occupied Virginia were exempted from the Proclamation, the lower Shenandoah Valley, and the area around Alexandria were covered.

Wikipedia