Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Broadcast Volume Level

ipalco

Has anybody noticed that the broadcast volume on TCM has been lowered over the past week or so? It is similar to the decrease on ESPN which began last year.

Any reason why TCM or any other network would lower the volume?

I noticed that TCM does have a lower volume than other stations. But I always thought that I noticed it because they do not run commercials. It seems the other channels have the commercials louder than the shows and I always have to lower the volume while the commercials are running.

I notice I have to turn the volume up when I am watching TCM.

I have fairly normal hearing, but with many TCM movies, especially from the 20's and 30's, I have a hard time making out some of the words whenever there's any sort of background music. I noticed it last night when I was watching my recorded DVD of the McCrea / Hopkins / Oberon These Three . Sometimes even the softest of background music can camoflage an actor's voice if he or she is speaking in a soft conversational tone, and I noticed it quite a bit in the first half hour or so of that film. But I often find that by turning up the volume, the voices become much clearer and can be heard above the soft din.