Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}Oh man, I blew it.

>

> I love *Mariette Hartley* and I agree with Moira that she has a great voice. She had a wonderful friendly persona. ( Remember her in *"MARNIE"*? ) If I knew Hartley was there I surely would have gone to the Vanity Fair party. Great pix and good you got to meet her.

>

Cinemaven, I hope I have convinced you to come to next year's party!

3f6734a5-d0ec-4732-9f22-b2ed5cd55e52_zps

And I agree with Moira, Cinemaven. Mariette Hartley

would be a wonderful TCMFF 2014 guest to introduce

*Ride the High Country!*

Heard and seen in Club TCM...

f2b39dc2-4e4b-4131-8a49-d0b888ac3053_zps

David from Seattle, just back from his epic Route 66 journey to the

TCMFF 2013, and Harry Scott Knyrim enjoy the fun at Club TCM

on Thursday evening at the Passholder Meet-and-Greet.

ad9e6e94-e5ab-4ab5-b075-751a936e4971_zps

Cinemaven with her prize-winning trivia blanket!

e65d883c-19cb-45b3-b097-f3556582804f_zps

TCM staffer Shannon Clute, whose stellar introduction to

*Night of The Hunter* wowed the audience Friday

morning at 9:15 a.m. in the Egyptian, and a friend.

c328ece4-7092-40ef-995d-0104b27e31fd_zps

Robert Mitchum and Shelley Winters in the courting scene from

*The Night of the Hunter.*

Shannon Clute's surprise guest at the screening was the

author of the definitive book about the filming of Charles

Laughton's first and only directorial masterpiece, Preston

Neal Jones. *Heaven and Hell to Play With* is a fascinating,

in-depth account of the filming of author Davis Grubb's novel.

1a5e27b2-560e-4661-81a2-2ba006f93556_zps

Preston Neal Jones swamped by adoring fans of

*Night of the Hunter* as he discusses his exciting

interview with Lillian Gish while researching

*Heaven and Hell to Play With.*

Sue: Thank you for that beautiful photo of Theresa/CineMaven. That's just the way I remember her.

For some strange reason I have trouble accessing your threads which drives me nuts because your pics and comments are so informative. I used to have to click on your first one several times to get it at all and then it would stall at one place rather than scroll up or down. This is a lot better but still skips around or stops dead when I want to see a particular thing. My PC's really screwy a lot of times so it might be me but I was wondering if you use a laptop or some other device that might explain it. Don't worry, I'll keep doing whatever it takes to get to your posts.

Dear Wouldbestar, Thank you for the kind comments! Cinemaven is very knowledgeable, and fun to be around!

As to your accessibility issues, I am sending you a private message, so be on the lookout!

I'm watching director Allison Anders' *Ring of Fire* on another network right now, but it should be all right as she was a guest host at this year's TCMFF 2013, as well as 2011!

Conversation with Jane Withers-PART III

During the *Vanity Fair* party on Thursday evening, April 25, I had so much fun chatting with Jane Withers and learning about her experiences in Hollywood with some of the most famous and the most endearing personalities.

Final Visit...

Withers discussed with Ben Mankiewicz during her introduction of *Giant* at the Turner Classic Movie Festival 2013 how she would wash James Dean's favorite pink shirt because when he would send out his laundry, his shirts would "disappear." So she volunteered to wash his favorite pink shirt every night, and the last evening before he left on hiatus, he stopped by to leave her the shirt, but he never returned, and Withers stated she has kept it ever since, as well as her lovely memories of the young man she befriended in Marfa, Texas, in 1955.

One of my favorite movies is *The Major and The Minor* with Ginger Rogers and Ray Milland, and one of the most enjoyable actresses in the film was Diana Lynn, who played the younger sister of Pamela Hill, fiancé of Milland's character, Phillip Kirby. Lynn's worldly-wise teenager, Lucy Hill, lets Susan Applegate in on the score concerning her deceitful older sister, portrayed by Rita Johnson.

Diana Lynn was a concert pianist at the age of 10 and a member of the L.A. Junior Symphony at the age of 11. She signed a 7-year contract with Paramount in 1941, and appeared in *The Miracle of Morgan's Creek, My Friend Irma*, and many other films and television programs before her death from a stroke in 1971. Withers discussed how Diana Lynn was a close friend (Withers was her matron of honor at her first wedding) and had a heartbreaking romance with a man who died tragically, and it left her depressed and unhappy. She claimed that Lynn then decided to become a nun, and became very religious.

image_zps20944d39.jpg

But just before Lynn was preparing to take her final vows, she told Withers that she could not make the final commitment, and left the convent. "She didn't know what to do," so she came to stay with Withers for about three years during the time before Withers married Kenneth Errair, a member of the vocal group "The Four Freshmen." Lynn eventually married Mort Hall, president of a radio station in LA, and had four children.

Withers had a hand in the discovery of another Hollywood heartthrob, a young lady by the name of Rita Cansino. While Withers was on one set filming *Paddy O'Day*, she went to another adjacent set and saw a young dancer who fascinated her, and she talked about how wonderful the dancer had been that she had seen on another set. Withers was impressed, and told her director and others how this young lady had "it" and she needed to have her own films because she was going to be a star. So at eight years of age, she recognized the luminous qualities and talents that helped Rita Hayworth become a world-wide film queen, and remained ever in awe of that talent she discovered, finally delivering the eulogy at Hayworth's funeral in 1987.

As one of several high-profile Presbyterians, Jane (and she asked me to call her Jane!) was also happy to remember how every Wednesday evening, fellow Hollywood Presbyterians would come over for a prayer meeting. Jimmy and Gloria Stewart, June Haver and Fred MacMurray, and several others often arrived on a Wednesday, and Jane said that Jimmy Stewart, whose father was also Presbyterian, would usually say the prayer. Jane stated several times during the course of our hour-long conversation that her faith has sustained her in times of deep trouble, and she felt that all the opportunities she had and all the "luck" that came her way existed because of her religious faith.

Spending time with Jane Withers is energizing and exciting, and I only hope I have that much energy when I am 87! She reveals that she and her friends, like Ann Blyth, get together at least once a month to go to lunch. Our delightful conversation culminated in a discussion of one of our favorite topics, jewelry!

a48b12f0-e638-49a7-8cb9-ea7e473b2571_zps

Being 87 is a cause for celebration for Withers as Twentieth Century Fox has released seven of her previously unavailable films:

*The Farmer Takes a Wife (1935), Paddy O'Day (1935), Little Miss Nobody (1936),*

*Rascals (1938), Chicken Wagon Family (1939), High School (1940),* and *Golden Hoofs (1941).*

For more information about her recently released films, follow this link: http://www.reellifewithjane.com/2013/05/20th-century-fox-releases-seven-classic-films-starring-jane-withers/

Passholders Theresa Brown and Sam Mahin standing behind the reserved

section while they wait for the big ceremony in the forecourt of

Grauman's Chinese Theatre*...

481f4efb-6540-455a-b053-5128a1ce85c1_zps

And seen seated in the reserved section of Grauman's Forecourt* where
Jane Fonda's Footprint Ceremony would occur...

90643747-cbbf-44da-893b-f18b13f81df6_zps
Sweet Shirlee Fonda and Robert Wolders (husband of Merle Oberon
and Audrey Hepburn) waiting for the ceremony to begin.
(They've been together for about 14 years, and Shirlee was
good friends with Merle Oberon and Audrey Hepburn.)

7dc5fb05-a1d8-49b4-8cba-acfc3c3f08ba_zps

TCM Host Robert Osborne makes a lovely introduction and announces

Jane Fonda's son, Troy Garity (TCM Message Board members might
recognize him as Sam Miller on *Boss).*

e3d341db-0257-41cf-b2cc-97f8dd076642_zps

Jane Fonda's son and Henry Fonda's grandson addressing the

audience and telling the crowd how proud he is of his Mom.

Fonda stated on her blog how "eloquent and comfortable" he

seemed, and remarked that his appearance on the stage

reminded her so much of her father, Henry.

(I see a resemblance, too! Can you?)

51f0ef50-ed7f-48a0-814b-86e6be6ecfbe_zps

Lily Tomlin extolling the talents and virtues of Jane Fonda...

57eff824-97dd-48ba-be1f-f86a927e6754_zps

Maria Shriver sharing with the audience how compassionate

her friend, Jane Fonda, can be...

59c49744-4e8f-4ac7-9496-530a03547d3b_zps

Jane Fonda looking up in the heavens and declaring what a

beautiful day it is. She stated on her blog that it was "one of my happiest days."

End of Part I

(ALL PHOTOS COURTESY OF SUE SUE)

For a delightful interview with Robert Wolders, follow this link:
{size:15px}
[laredos-robert-wolders-remembers.html|http://henryswesternroundup.blogspot.com/2012/02/laredos-robert-wolders-remembers.html]

*The artist currently known as The TCL Chinese Theatre.

More about Jane Fonda's footprint ceremony in Part II a little later....

90c74fb5-cd7d-4453-bf1f-9d8561037040_zps

Johnny Stokes and Film Noir Foundation's Eddie Muller at the TCMFF 2013 Vanity Fair party.

The new promo for TCM's Friday NIght Spotlight featuring TCMFF Guest Eddie Muller is now online:

{size:15px}http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/636322/Noir-Writers-Movie-Promo-June

-2013.html

{size:15px}And here's the featured article on TCM.com by Eddie Muller who is

"Spotlighting" Dashiell Hammett this Friday evening, June 7:

Anyone who has written a crime/mystery story since 1930, anywhere in the world, owes a debt to Dashiell Hammett. Raymond Chandler, certainly. But also bestselling contemporary writers such as James Ellroy, Michael Connelly, Laura Lippman, Elmore Leonard and Sara Paretsky. All of us, really. Hammett's influential stories and novels set the structural template for almost every derivation of modern crime story. He also set the tone and tempo: the tough, terse, as-it-happens pace, the jaundiced and cynical attitude--always peppering the pages with bitter humor.

He only finished five novels, but they echo throughout the history of crime fiction: gangland sagas (Red Harvest), family intrigues (The Dain Curse), hardboiled detection (The Maltese Falcon), political thrillers (The Glass Key), and blithe, murderous farce (The Thin Man)--all originated with Hammett.

What made his work special, why it remains vital more than eighty years after it was first published, is that Hammett brought the real world into mystery fiction. Or, as Chandler put it so well, "He gave crime back to the people who committed it for a reason"--distinct from the armchair detectives for whom the genre was merely a puzzle-solving amusement. Sure, Hammett knew how to goose a story along with melodramatics, and he ramped up the sex and violence to sate the cravings of the pulp readers who were his biggest fans, but behind this low-brow product was a high-minded intellectual: insatiably curious, extraordinarily well-read, socially conscious, a serious-minded craftsman. He played at being indifferent, but knew he was changing the game.

He also was an alcoholic, a womanizer, and inveterate gambler. And a good husband and father. He was a patriotand a Communist. He absorbed a world of contradictions and had the keenness of intellect and the storytelling intuition to transform it all into prose that is still emulated today, if rarely equaled.

Oh, and one last thing. If you watch me hosting the Hammett tribute on June 7 and think I'm mispronouncing his name: I'm not. It's Dash-EEL, not DASH-ill, as it's been mispronounced for decades. His full name is Samuel Dashiell Hammett, the middle name honoring his mother's family, whose lineage stretched back to the Huguenots of 17th century France. If you've named your son or daughter after him, don't worry--you can pronounce it anyway you want. But for the record, he pronounced it Dash-EEL.

I've chosen to show: *The Maltese Falcon* (1931, novel), *City Streets* (1931, original story), *After the Thin Man* (1936, original story), *The Glass Key* (1942, novel).

By Eddie Muller

{font:Times New Roman}Thank you, Sue, for that Robert Wolders interview. Both Merle’s and Audrey’s children have spoken very highly of him and his love for their mothers. His lack of pretense and honesty about his performing abilities is quite refreshing. As an actor he might not be A-List but as a human being he certainly is. {font}

Is that the body of a 70-something? Jane Fonda looked fantastic at the event, and at one point sounded like Daddy's Little Girl. It was so sweet.

Robert Wolders was with Merle Oberon, Audrey Hepburn and now Shirlee Fonda? Mmmm hmmm. I see. He's on the "other" end of the spectrum from John Derek.

Wouldbe and Sue, I have the same situation with my computer. I have a lot of trouble accessing your threads. If someone else posts, other than you Sue on your thread, then I can get on the thread, but most times not. Today I was lucky enough to read your wonderful, wonderful posts about the 2 Janes! I LOVE your posts, when I'm lucky enough to get on your threads to read them. :)

btw, I still say Cinemaven looks 25 and I still want to know what Moisturizer she's using :)

Cinemaven, Jane Fonda looked fabulous!

Lavenderblue, I sent you a PM, and I want to thank you for all your kind comments!

Just heard that Mariette Hartley will be introducing RIDE THE HIGH COUNTRY with Wyatt McCrea here:{font:'.HelveticaNeueUI'}{size:15px}http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?threadID=169200&tstart=0{font}

977bcb10-e3d1-4a50-be79-1e807616428a_zps

A photo of my Mom, Dorothy Ruth...

Dorothy Ruth loved Esther Williams, and we often talked about the fact that she looked most like Esther in this photo. In high school, Dot was involved in some synchronised swimming activities at her high school, and she loved watching all of Esther Williams' films. Esther brought us joy and was "America's Mermaid." My Mom brought great joy to our family, and she was our sweetheart.

TCM's tribute to Esther WIlliams will begin on Thursday, June 13, and continue for 24 hours.

b67e594a-797b-413a-bd6d-ac233c031963_zps

Esther Williams poses with the synchronized swimming group, the Aqualillies,

at the TCMFF 2010. Esther and Betty Garrett introduced the very first poolside

screening, *Neptune's Daughter,* with Ben Mankiewicz, on Thursday, April 22.

Follow the link for a full schedule:

{size:15px}http://turner.tekgroup.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=6423

She sure does resemble Esther! Dorothy Ruth was such a lovely woman! It is sad to lose Esther. She entertained us with her fantastic abilities, swimming her way through those colorful films of the 40's and 50's. I look forward to the upcoming TCM tribute to her.

Darryl, I am looking forward to Esther Williams' day of tribute on TCM as well!

Thank you for the kind comments!

8c35006d-e991-4c29-9f9e-97860095dce6_zps

Silent sentinels guarding the west wing from the roof of the TCL Chinese Theatre...

b8a748d5-2c6d-49b9-87ca-1d36d53c9af9_zps

Henry Fonda's handprints and footprints in Grauman's forecourt,

completed in 1942 for the premiere of *Tales of Manhattan*.

2d6d6330-7ed1-43e1-8570-92921dfc2302_zps

TCM Host Robert Osborne looks on as Jane Fonda flashes a peace

sign right before she immortalizes it in cement, the first celebrity

with an actual peace sign in her cement handprints.

I kept hoping that if I kept vigil by Henry Fonda's footprints after

the ceremony that I might be able to see some family members

stop by for one last moment of reverence and respect, and I am

glad that I did. Before I took all these photos, I asked and was

granted permission to use my camera because I felt that it was

a very private moment for the family members, and I didn't

want to intrude.

6df96624-d3f4-40cf-bffe-1deb7f90d697_zps

Young Viva Vadim (Jane Fonda's granddaughter by her

daughter Vanessa Vadim), and Troy Garity (Jane Fonda's son)

2394f52e-ee54-4546-bb05-b024897b7b6a_zps

After Troy Garity and Viva Vadim stopped by, Shirlee Fonda

walked over carrying a photo in a clear, protective file. And

she spoke to me first, before I had a chance to ask to snap a

photo. "This is a photo of him when he had his footprint

ceremony. Right here in 1942! Can you believe it? Right here."

She was so happy to be sharing her photo and participating in

Jane's ceremony, and I felt that she had such pride in Henry

Fonda's accomplishments, and was also very excited for Jane's

ceremony 71 years later. Shirlee Fonda seems like such

a kind, sweet lady!

943caeb2-80a2-4bed-8f95-cf6add912663_zps

Peter Fonda's wife, Parky DeVogelaere, Peter Fonda, Shirlee Fonda, and Robert Wolders.

289ef1c7-b989-4aac-a940-d2ef306671a3_zps

Peter Fonda's wife Parky, Peter Fonda, Shirlee Fonda,

possibly Troy Garity's wife, Simone Bent,

and Robert Wolders (Shirlee's partner of 15 years.)

This was the last gathering of family members

at Henry Fonda's marker before I left, and I was

so happy that I was able to share those moments

with the family, and have these photos to share

with everybody who couldn't be there.

(These exclusive photos by "Sue Sue" have not been previously published.)

Glad you posted your video of the TCMFF 2013, Cinemaven!

This just in:

878bc1be-ce0c-472e-909d-3f5e3c21c67b_zps

Senior Researcher Alexa Foreman, actress Peggy Cummins of *Gun Crazy*,

and Darcy Hettrich, Talent Coordinator, at the TCMFF 2012 Farewell Party.

Writer Paul Booth has launched a six-part series featuring promininent *WOMEN IN* *ENTERTAINMENT, and his interview with TCM Senior Researcher Alexa Foreman is*

entertaining and informative. An excerpt follows:

This week we have a special treat for movie lovers. I had the pleasure of interviewing Turner Classic Movie’s Senior researcher Alexa Foreman. I think all classic film lovers enjoy TCM hosts Robert Osborne and Ben Mankiewicz as they introduce our favorite classic films with a great story about actors like Audrey Hepburn and Steve McQueen, or behind the scenes tales of a movies turbulent production.

Alexa’s job is to gather the film facts for the script writers and Robert Osborne. Alexa then double checks the final script, edits it for typos and adds any updates (deaths, Oscars or info since the last time TCM showed the movie). She does this for all the intro and post-film segments we see on TCM.

I met her last year at TCM Classic Movies Film Festival 2012. At the same event this year we got together for a nice long talk about movies. So when it came time to do this “Women in Entertainment” series, I asked Alexa and she quickly (and graciously) agreed to be part of it.

Paul Booth: What movie made you know you wanted to spend your life involved with the history of Film?

Alexa Foreman: There was no single movie that did it for me. I saw classic movies on tv in Atlanta growing up and loved stars like Bette Davis, Paul Muni and Tyrone Power. Since those movies were not on video or playing in theaters at that time, I read everything I could on the history of the movies.

PB: Is there a Film you feel everyone should see? Even if they don’t like it, meaning the movie holds such a significant achievement in filmmaking?

AF: Again, there is no single movie but for significant achievement in filmmaking take a look at CITIZEN KANE (1941), NAPOLEON (1927), BLACK NARCISSUS (1947), SUNRISE (1927), GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 (1933), and THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939). And please see these on a big screen if possible.

PB: Do you have a favorite Genre/Studio/Studio-head or old studio director like Wilder, Capra, Ford or Hawks?

AF: Screwball comedy is my favorite genre. THE AWFUL TRUTH, LIBELED LADY, BRINGING UP BABY, IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT, BALL OF FIRE. I can watch them over and over.

RKO is my favorite studio -– and not because of Astaire and Rogers. The filmmakers and technicians did so much with so little. Producer Val Lewton and others paved the way for film noir with pictures set in night time and/or rain. They did it out of necessity to hide the fact that there was no big background set behind the action.

Directors that I love include William Wyler, Orson Welles, John Cromwell, Fred Zinnemann, Terrence Malick, John Frankenheimer, and I am sentimental about Ida Lupino’s efforts.

PB: How do you feel about the progression of “women in film or television” as directors? (or Producers)?

AF: Well, I am glad that they are finally back!! The early days (1895 to 1930) were the great days of women directors, writers and producers until big financiers saw that there was money to be made and the women were gradually driven out.

PB: With the progression of digital cinema, do you ever feel it makes TCM’s job more important or do you feel TCM will transcend?

AF: We need to save and preserve older movies before we worry about the industry’s new formats. TCM will go on no matter which source we mine our jewels from – print paper, celluloid nitrate, videotape, DVD, etc. We show movies from the silents all the way to the present. Along with our most popular movies, we are always looking for lesser known gems to show, and thereby generating interest and reaction from our TCM audience. As to digital technology, our sharp eyed viewers appreciate the quality and texture of film –- from the dissolves and the scratches all the way to the circle in the right hand corner of the frame signifying a coming reel change. I know movie theaters are facing a challenge with this, and I hope they will survive this latest technology.

For more of the article, follow the link: http://influxmagazine.com/women-in-entertainment-part-4/

Great article about Ben Mankiewicz and his father as they prepare for the Father's Day Film Festival on TCM from Atlanta Magazine.com:

image_zps74dc09bc.jpg

Turner Classic Movies host Ben Mankiewicz has temporarily lost the ability to use verbs on set this particular spring morning. For a guy who routinely chats up Peter O’Toole and Eva Marie Saint for a living, Mankiewicz appears a little rattled by today’s guest host, his father, legendary Washington D.C. insider Frank Mankiewicz. The 89-year-old was Robert Kennedy’s press secretary during his presidential run (Mankiewicz was the man on the podium at Good Samaritan Hospital announcing to the press corps that Kennedy has died on June 6, 1968 at age 42 after being shot by Sirhan Sirhan). He went on to run George McGovern’s 1972 presidential campaign against Richard Nixon. And then for an encore, in the 1980s, he oversaw the expansion of National Public Radio.

In honor of Father’s Day this Sunday, Ben and Frank Mankiewicz will co-host an afternoon of films they co-selected, among them the 1941 classic Citizen Kane written by Frank’s father, legendary Hollywood screenwriter Herman Mankiewicz. Frank also selected The Last Hurrah, an often-overlooked 1958 political drama starring Spencer Tracy. But perhaps the sweetest exchange between the father and son is their joint introduction of Ben’s pick, 1977’s Smokey and the Bandit. The elder Mankiewicz sat through the Burt Reynolds popcorn flick multiple times with a Trans Am transfixed 10-year-old Ben. On camera, Ben concedes the car chase riddled film probably wasn’t his father’s favorite film genre. His dad’s reply: “We were spending time together, that’s what was important.” After the segment wraps and half of the studio envelops the older Mankiewicz to shake hands with him, Ben walks over to me. “That,” he whispers in my ear, “was terrifying.” A few minutes later in the TCM green room, Frank Mankiewicz reflected on his fascinating political life and his family’s Hollywood legacy.

Q: For movie fans, debate still rages over the screenwriting credit for Citizen Kane. Your father ended up sharing the credit with director Orson Welles. Is this still an internal debate within the family too?

A: Not to me. I don’t think that a debate rages with anyone who really knows the background. The facts are too clear. There’s no piece of paper anywhere that Orson Welles wrote on about this movie. There’s no script by Welles, no handwritten notes, nothing. But it was his movie. What prompted the joint credit was that his contract with RKO stipulated that he write, produce, act and direct or he wouldn’t get paid. My father eventually yielded and gave him joint credit.

Q: Your father wrote the Marx Brothers movies Horse Feathers and Duck Soup and Pride of the Yankees starring Gary Cooper. Did you grow up going to see these films with your father’s name in huge letters on the screen?

A: Oh, sure. He didn’t but I did! It was a 9 to 5 job for him. It was work. He never brought his work home with him. We never talked about movies at home. I never remember hearing him say, “Well, we gotta lick that problem in the second act.”

Q: Your family’s household table could have been the Algonquin Round Table of the West. We’re talking about F. Scott Fitzgerald, Zelda Fitzgerald, the Marx Brothers and Dorothy Parker. What life lessons did you take away from growing up around all of that?

A: I suppose the importance of humor and the fact that you mustn’t take anything too seriously. Harpo [Marx|http://forums.tcm.com/] came to our house often. He was a friend. He came to a couple of Seders. At one point, there was singing and he took the Passover lamb drumstick and began using it as a baton and led all the guests around the table singing.

Q: On set, you talked with Ben about how television changed politics. The 1960 Kennedy/Nixon debate was the first televised debate with Nixon forgoing make up and sweating and a poised Kennedy in make up looking very presidential. In 1967 as Bobby Kennedy’s press secretary, you had to live through the flipside of that debate during the nation’s first satellite debate. Kennedy was in Washington and Ronald Reagan was in California, right?

A: Correct. Don Hewitt of CBS News talked me into it. I stood there and watched Bobby Kennedy do all the wrong things on live television. He was looking at the monitor instead of the camera. We’re in Washington and Reagan, a trained actor, is in some studio in Hollywood and these kids are asking questions from India, Japan and England. Reagan looked right into the camera as he answered and Robert would look away at the monitor. I’m sure it looked awful! I never heard the end of that. We could be having a discussion on any policy matter where we might be on opposite sides and Robert always turned to me and reminded me, “Wait a minute, you got me into that debate with Reagan!”

Q: Ronald Reagan continued to haunt you into the 1980s when he was president and you were busy expanding National Public Radio as its CEO. At one point, the Reagan administration threatened to seriously cut federal funding for NPR. Did you ever stop and think, “This guy just won’t leave me alone?”

A: (laughs) Not really. Shortly after Bobby Kennedy’s assassination, Congress voted to give him a medal. It got lost during Jimmy Carter’s administration. But Reagan found it and hosted a very nice reception to award the medal to Ethel Kennedy, Robert’s widow. I was there. He gave a very nice speech about Robert Kennedy. I wrote him a note to thank him. Six months go by and I was in an airport somewhere and I get paged to come to the white courtesy phone. It was Reagan on the other end. He had just gotten my note, someone had misplaced it and he had called to thank me. In the middle of an airport! We talked for 10 minutes or so about the movies and my family. He was a delightful fellow.

Q: You characterize your candidate in the 1972 George McGovern presidential campaign as the greatest president we never had. How would the country have been different if McGovern had won that election?

A: First of all, the whole Vietnam experience would have been cut short. McGovern was an extraordinarily good man. He would have accomplished a lot domestically. And we wouldn’t have military bases in 127 countries as we do now.

Q: As the Watergate scandal bubbled over on the front page of the Washington Post, were you ever tempted to put a Don’t Blame Me, I Voted For McGovern bumper sticker on your car?

A: (laughs) No, but a lot of people did!

Q: My last question: As you prepared for TCM’s Father’s Day co-hosting assignment with Ben, did you have to re-watch Smokey and the Bandit?

A: Oh, no. I remember it quite well!

TCM’s Father’s Day celebration with Ben and Frank Mankiewicz begins at 11:45 a.m. Sunday with Citizen Kane, followed by All The King’s Men at 2 p.m., The Last Hurrah at 4 p.m. and Smokey and the Bandit at 6:15 p.m.

Sue, this is a great article. I enjoyed reading it so much Fascinating stories and life Mr. Mankiewicz shares. I'm so looking forward to watching Ben and his dad tomorrow. Thank You So Much for making the article available to us.We're so lucky on the bds. to have you posting, always willing to give your time and energy to inform us. :)

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on Jun 15, 2013 5:41 PM

Ben made excellent use of his legendary father, Washington cognoscenti Frank Mankiewicz, on this father’s day with the elder Mankiewicz regaling a trove of interesting anecdotes about his life in both Washington and Hollywood – like when he, as a Los Angeles attorney, represented Steve McQueen twice after the latter had been cited for driving too fast (and again, after McQueen was hauled into court for driving too slow!!). Mankiewicz won both cases. And that the senior Mankiewicz had dated (albeit briefly) Golden Globe and Academy Award-winning actress Mercedes McCambridge, which was apparently news to Ben. He also discussed his role in the Bobby Kennedy and George McGovern presidential campaigns and tied these into the day's programming on political films that he had chosen.

Good job, Ben and Frank --- You guys should do this more often !

*CinecrazyDC*

Absolutely Agree., Cinecrazydc. Very enjoyable afternoon on TCM. It was pleasure listening to Mr. Mankiewicz's experiences and his takes on the films. Ben's interaction with his dad was comfortable, loving and respectful. Yes, Great Job and Please have Mr. Mankiewicz return, sooner than later.

Lavenderblue and Cinecrazy, it was a joy to have Ben and Frank Mankiewicz together to introduce the Father's Day lineup. What a sweet way to share in the celebration of the day. I completely agree!

I also thought it was lovely when Frank told Ben that he felt Ben had such a great job, and what a compliment for Ben considering the career his father has had!

Lovely idea, TCM! Keep 'em coming!

SueSue, I really enjoyed the interplay between Ben M and his dad on Father's Day. The best moment was Ben's astonishment that his dad had twice dated Mercedes McCambridge, and that in those days everyone pronounced her name MERS-uh-deez.

I did, too, kingrat. Yes, MER-suh-deez McCambridge! I thought it was so cute that he didn't know his father dated her. Sunday was thoroughly enjoyable because of their give and take, much like how Ben introduces films at the festival with special "Guest Stars." Only this time, it was his father! :)

4417a3b4-1923-40c5-a3be-4ab283dd1b78_zps

One of the most popularly requested Guest Stars at the Turner Classic Film Festival is Doris Day.

And great news! She has given a new interview to the “These Boots Are Made For Walkin’” chart star Nancy Sinatra – this will be aired on her show* ‘Nancy for Frank’* which is broadcast on the ‘Siriusly Sinatra’ music channel.

In the late 1940s, Doris notably recorded a best-selling duet “Let’s Take An Old-Fashioned Walk” with Nancy’s Father Frank. During the 1950s, Doris starred with Frank in the Warner musical movie ’[Young At Heart|http://www.dorisdaytribute.com/1955/01/20/young-at-heart-film]‘.

We understand there will be two 3-hour programs all including Doris Day and Frank Sinatra music with interview clips interspersed during the show. It should be a great program and definitely one that DD fans will want to tune into. The first show should will air on June 23rd between 5-8PM (ET). More details coming soon!

‘Siriusly Sinatra’ is a music channel featured on Sirius Satellite Radio (channel 71,[1] previously 75), XM Satellite Radio (channel 71,[2] previously 73), and DISH Network (channel 6075).

Doris Day tribute page:

{font:'.HelveticaNeueUI'}{size:15px}http://www.dorisdaytribute.com/blog/2013/06/09/nancy-sinatra-interviews-doris-

day-for-the-american-siriusly-sinatra-satellite-radio-channel{font}

*SIRIUS WEBSITE LINK:*

[For a free trial subscription to Sirius Radio, follow this link:|http://www.siriusxm.com/siriuslysinatra]{size:15px}http://www.siriusxm.com/freetrial