Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

7f89317d-26ab-436e-82ae-815a590dc57c_zps

Kendra Bean, author of *Vivien Leigh: An Intimate Portrait,* visits The Silver Screen Oasis on October 18th and October 21st for a discussion of her latest book.

Topics so far have included Leslie Howard, Clark Gable, Maureen O'Sullivan, Wuthering Heights, Laurence Olivier, and much more...

Come join the fun!

Follow the link for the Q & A : http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=637

f8979ff3-5542-44a0-84a3-90e0b336ed14_zps

Read TCM's Movie Morlocks interview with Kendra Bean conducted by Greg Ferarra here: http://moviemorlocks.com/2013/10/09/a-talk-with-kendra-bean-author-of-vivien-leigh-an-intimate-portrait/

And don't forget about TCM's Ultimate Fan Contest! There are already 28 entries: http://fancontest.tcm.com/

c53a01dc-883c-41e5-8b28-b859516eda8f_zps

An early photo of Olivia de Havilland...

b1f0ff6e-a388-4cb0-a979-2758a41acd9f_zps

According to the Olivia De Havilland Fan Club Page on Facebook, Robert Osborne will be visiting with Miss De Havilland in Paris this week to tape his interview with her.

69ce6d12-c229-4a14-a28a-dd3439aeab22_zps

Joan Fontaine with her sister, Olivia de Havilland...

I can't wait to see this historic interview, and hope that if it hasn't been shown before, that it will have its premiere at the Turner Classic Film Festival 2014.

848d1d35-2099-4bcf-b9bf-1eeabec44ec3_zps

Olivia de Havilland and John Huston...

84152fb7-870a-457d-b871-b5486cb2c259_zps

c00525f7-c170-4593-8c56-42efe1ffb700_zps

Lovely homage to Olivia and Errol Flynn shared by Cinemaven on youtube:

After I saw this video, I still found it hard to believe it was "all for the screen!"

I wonder what Olivia will say about her onscreen pairing with Flynn in her interview with Robert Osborne. Will she finally reveal all about it? Olivia has steadfastly maintained that her relationship with Errol Flynn was always platonic, and if so, they surely did make it seem authentic. That's acting! :-)

I wonder what Olivia will say about her onscreen pairing with Flynn in her interview with Robert Osborne. Will she finally reveal all about it? Olivia has steadfastly maintained that her relationship with Errol Flynn was always platonic, and if so, they surely did make it seem authentic. That's acting! :)

SueSue, thanxxx so much for sharing with everyone here, the YouTube clip I found on Olivia deHavilland and Errol Flynn. You wonder what Ms. deHavilland said about Errol Flynn...

Aren't they just gorgeous here:

6e0a7caf-3ab9-4871-959e-d63253ea4dbe_zps

Well please check these two very very short YouTube clips of Ms. deHavilland from her 2006 interview with the Academy of Achievement. Oh my, she was quite taken with him. And what woman wouldn't be:

Part 1.

Part 2.

Truly! Thank you for the links, Cinemaven! I am going to watch them right now!

6a72581d-886e-4fed-bb48-6420b31b8abb_zps

Happy Birthday, Joan Fontaine...

And I want to share the link to the Backlots blog for everyone who wants to read a recent interview with Joan Fontaine to celebrate her 96th birthday today:

http://backlots.net/2013/10/22/a-qa-with-joan-fontaine-in-honor-of-her-96th-birthday/#comment-3650

b2d3246b-dfb0-4b74-86ec-d2bfc832c000_zps

A delightful glamor shot...

0e44a3f6-275d-46c2-9fb7-773995812d0f_zps

A more recent photo of Joan with her pets...

Sure thing SueSue. I love the shot of Joan Fontaine with the brush in her hand. She looks lovely. I read the Backlots interview with Joan Fontaine. < Sigh!!! > She actually agreed to be interviewed. At least we have that. Great get, Lara!!! :-)

That was a fabulous interview, Cinemaven.

I am so grateful to Lara for her perseverance and commitment to her ideals. At 96, Miss Fontaine is certainly still much the same personality as the woman who wrote *No Bed of Roses.*

3608d3b5-6a23-4a5d-953e-3dd09ee8f51c_zps

Here's the link that Moira shared earlier with Joan's interview for *People* magazine in 1978:http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20072228,00.html

I hope some Joan Fontaine films and Olivia de Havilland films will be shown at the festival this year. Both of these ladies have careers to be celebrated!

Ever wanted a poster from *I Married A Witch* or Clark Gable's jacket from *Too Hot To Handle?* How about one of the cars used in *Casablanca?*

image_zpsf384a4ce.jpg

Bonham's Auction preview is happening right now in Los Angeles, and if you are curious about everything up for sale, follow this link to read all about it and check out photos of some of your favorite items:

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21427/#MR1_page_lots=1&r1=10&m1=1

Preview dates in Los Angeles are from October 23-27.

UPDATE: There are now 49 entries for the TCM ULTIMATE FAN CONTEST!

A friend from the Turner Classic Film Festival has just posted a wonderful interview on her blog with the author of *A LIFE OF BARBARA STANWYCK: STEEL TRUE* VIctoria Wilson.

46f3a378-b20c-45d0-bae3-2917bad8ad36_zps

Enjoy (because life is too short not to! ) : http://backlots.net/2013/10/24/an-interview-with-victoria-wilson-author-of-a-life-of-barbara-stanwyck-steel-true-1907-1940/

There are now 77 entries!

And they are all so charming. I am thoroughly enjoying how many fans of TCM have entered the contest and shared introductions to their favorite films!

http://fancontest.tcm.com/entries/index/page:3

And whomever writes for the TCM Facebook page must have liked my post about the Bonham's auction because they used the same photo!

A lotta great talent out there among the TCM fan community, Sue Sue. It's really amazing to see all that passion !

One of the fans, Wilbur Fitzgerald, who introduced The Chase, is a professional actor and voice over artist who has his own entry on IMDB.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0280409/

Knew I'd seen him before --

Gonna have a get a You Tube account so that I can enter next year !!

No surprise about the Facebook entry !

Cinecrazy

Yes, Cinecrazy, there are a bunch of dedicated TCM fans out there!

I've compiled a list of the film titles introduced by the 104 Ultimate Fan Contestants as of Monday, October 28, 2013.

Wow! I am surprised by some of the films chosen, but delighted that there are so many wonderfully talented fans of Turner Classic Movies.

Several of the films have two videos already:

*Gone With The Wind, Sabrina, All About Eve, Arsenic and Old Lace, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Quiet Man, Cool Hand Luke,* and *The Clown*.

What is so refreshing is that Red Skelton's *The Clown* has two, and obviously Skelton has not been forgotten for his contribution to film, even though he is probably more famous as a television star. *Gone With the Wind* is always popular, and Audrey Hepburn has two films listed, *Sabrina,* and *Breakfast at Tiffany?s.*

*Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein*

*A Christmas Carol*

*The Adventures of Prince Achmed*

*A Hard Day's Night*

*All About Eve (2)*

*Among The Living*

*An American in Paris*

*Arsenic and Old Lace (2)*

*Baron of Arizona*

*The Best Years of Our Lives*

*The Birds*

*Blue Velvet*

*Breakfast at Tiffany's (2)*

*Brief Encounter*

*Bringing Up Baby*

*Bullitt*

*Casablanca*

*Charley's Aunt*

*The Chase*

*Cinema Paradiso*

*The Clown (2)*

*Cool Hand Luke(2)*

*Count Three and Pray*

*Dodsworth*

*Father of the Bride*

*Frankenstein*

*Giant*

*Grand Hotel*

*The Great Waltz*

*The Great Ziegfield*

*Gone With The Wind (2)*

*Guys and Dolls*

*High and Low*

*The Hill*

*Hoodoo Ann*

*How Green Was My Valley*

*How To Marry A Millionaire*

*The House on Haunted Hill*

*If A Man Answers*

*I Love You Again*

*The Incredible Shrinking Man*

*Inherit the Wind*

*It Happened One Night*

*It's A Wonderful Life*

*The Jazz Singer*

*Kings Go Forth*

*The Lady Eve*

*The Mad Miss Manton*

*The Major and The Minor*

*Manhattan Murder Mystery*

*Mary Poppins*

*Midnight*

*Mr. Blandings Builds Hi Dream House*

*Mr. Smith Goes to Washington*

*1900*

*Never Give a Sucker an Even Break*

*Night of the Hunter*

*Night of the Living Dead*

*North By Northwest*

*Notorious*

*One Way Passage*

*Out of Sight*

*Peeping Tom*

*Phantom of the Opera ('43)*

*The Philadelphia Story*

*The Picture of Dorian Gray*

*Psycho*

*The Quiet Man (2)*

*Random Harvest*

*The Rat Race*

*Rebecca*

*Rio Bravo*

*Sabrina (2)*

*Senso*

*Shall We Dance?*

*Singin' in the Rain*

*The Shop Around The Corner*

*Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs*

*Stranger*

*Stella*

*Sunset Boulevard*

*The Third Man*

*The Three Musketeers*

*To Catch A Thief*

*To Have and Have Not*

*Top Hat*

*Trouble in Paradise*

*Two Lane Blacktop*

*Where The Sidewalk Ends*

*The Wrong Man*

*The Wings of Eagles*

*The Wizard of Oz*

*Withnail and I*

*Ziegfield Girl*

Follow the link to the Official Site of the TCM ULTIMATE FAN CONTEST: http://fancontest.tcm.com/

Final Updates will be posted at the end of the contest!

PASSES FOR THE TCMFF 2014 go on sale Thursday, November 14.

The three films announced for the festival include *Gone With The WInd, The Wizard of Oz,* and the 1923 Harold Lloyd film *Why Worry?*

And the speculation and the fun begins!!!!!

*Gone with the Wind* (1939) ?75th anniversary ? Presented in collaboration with Warner Bros. Studios

The TCM Classic Film Festival will celebrate the 75th anniversary of Gone with the Wind (1939), Margaret Mitchell's sprawling Civil War-era drama, with the recent restoration. Vivien Leigh won an Oscar? as the ever-determined Scarlett O'Hara, with Clark Gable as the rakish Rhett Butler. Olivia de Havilland, Leslie Howard, Thomas Mitchell and Oscar-winner Hattie McDaniel also star. Gone with the Wind's eight Academy Awards? also include Best Picture, Best Director (Victor Fleming) and Best Screenplay (Sidney Howard).

*The Wizard of Oz* (1939) ? 75th anniversary ? Presented in IMAX? 3D in collaboration with Warner Bros. Studios

The TCM Classic Film Festival will celebrate the 75th anniversary of The Wizard of Oz (1939) with a screening of Warner Bros. Studios' immersive IMAX? 3D edition. Judy Garland stars as L. Frank Baum's Kansas-born heroine who finds herself flung beyond the rainbow into a magical land of witches, flying monkeys and munchkins. With Ray Bolger as the Scarecrow, Jack Haley as the Tin Man and Bert Lahr as the Cowardly Lion, she heads down the Yellow Brick Road to find the powerful Wizard (Frank Morgan) who can help her get back home. The Wizard of Oz's 3D conversion was a long and complex project that included an 8K scan of the original Technicolor camera negative and complex mapping of each frame to construct 3D imagery. The TCM Classic Film Festival's presentation of The Wizard of Oz will be a golden opportunity for festival attendees to experience the film's extraordinary IMAX 3D conversion.

*Why Worry?* (1923) ? With Carl Davis conducting the live world premiere performance of his original score

Festival goers will be in stitches over Harold Lloyd's hilarious comedy Why Worry? (1923), in which the bespectacled star plays a wealthy hypochondriac whose visit to an island paradise is interrupted by revolution. This marked Lloyd's final film with producer Hal Roach and his first with leading lady Jobyna Ralston, who co-starred in his next five movies. The TCM Classic Film Festival's presentation of Why Worry will feature legendary silent-film composer Carl Davis conducting the world premiere performance of his new original score for the movie.

Don't forget to check out my fabulous list in the previous post, and if you are planning on entering TCM's Ultimate Fan Contest, you just have two days left!

104 entries !! Holy Toledo !! Sue Sue - Or as John Lund repeated endlessly in *To Each His Own (1946)*, "holy Canarsie" -- don't know what it means, but it sounded appropriate for the film.

You went to a lot of trouble to compile that list. I think TCM should make you an honorary "statistician." Amazing also to see the variety of genres in the list -- tremendous variety of fan likes and tastes, all of which is great with me.

Keep up the good work. If this catches fire, we could see 200 + entries next year !! I hope to be one of them !

Cinecrazy

From the New York Post today:

Plans are afoot for legendary actress Olivia De Havilland, 97, to appear at a 75th anniversary screening of ?Gone With the Wind? at next year?s TCM Classic Film Festival, I can report exclusively.

Turner Classic Movies host Robert Osborne says the festival has been after the two-time Best Actress Oscar winner to appear since it started in 2010. But she?s always insisted they show ?GWTW,? the favorite among her films.

De Havilland received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress for the Civil War epic, and is the sole survivor among the principal cast.

The festival today announced that it would be showing ?GWTW,? along with the 3-D version of another film celebrating its 75th anniversary, ?The Wizard Of Oz? at its 2014 edition next April in Hollywood.

?We?ve been trying to work out something with her for years,? says Osborne, who has long been a friend of the actress. ?She has an amazing memory, and she?s the last of those people who were really an integral part of the golden age of films.

?But time is of the essence. She?s 97, and she still maintains a busy schedule in Paris, where she?s lived since the 1950s. We?re hoping it will finally work out for next year, given the anniversary.?

To read more about it, follow the link: http://nypost.com/2013/10/29/robert-osborne-on-olivia-de-havilland-ocars-and-gravity/

image_zps07739ad3.jpg

A HALLOWEEN SURPRISE!

Follow the link to one of my blogs to read about my latest article, NIGHT OF THE HUNTER: Who is it scaring now?

http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/2013/10/31/night-of-the-hunter-who-is-it-scaring-now/

There are many more Ultimate Fan entries in TCM's contest today! I think the total is 217! Check out the current videos on the website:

http://fancontest.tcm.com/entries/index/page:18'>http://fancontest.tcm.com/entries/index/page:18

October 31st is the last day to enter if you want a chance at winning an all expense paid trip to the Turner Classic Film Festival 2014 and the chance to introduce films with Robert Osborne!

http://fancontest.tcm.com/

Sue ? That?s great news about Olivia and a long time coming ! This may be too much to ask, but since she?s hopping the pond to come to Hollywood, maybe her sister, Joan Fontaine, who resides up in Carmel, can be persuaded to join her sister on the stage ? It would certainly make a nice ?two-fer? for the festival ?

Cinecrazy

Cinecrazy, I certainly understand your enthusiasm for such a reunion,

but it seems unlikely. I think everyone would enjoy it except for

maybe...Olivia and Joan. But if they decided to embrace their

differences and appear together, it would be wonderful. Who knows?

Maybe they have.

I hope you have a chance to see that marvelous interstitial the TCM

team prepared about the Bonham's auction. I would have posted a link,

but it's not up in the media room yet.

It was fabulous to hear about all the items up for sale in the auction

catalog and to learn a little about the history of the actual Maltese

Falcon!

A replica is featured in John's Grill in San Francisco...

5ea4fee6-59c7-4643-b160-aa88077ab0f3_zps

Photo Courtesy of Sue Sue On-The-Go in San Francisco....

John's Grill:

http://www.johnsgrill.com/mobile.php

image_zpsefa012f3.jpg

And yes, it was a yummy lunch at John's Grill courtesy of one of my goddaughters!

My latest blog entry is *NIGHT OF THE HUNTER*: *Who is it scaring now?* :

http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/2013/10/31/night-of-the-hunter-who-is-it-scaring-now/

>Thats great news about Olivia and a long time coming

I don't want to come across as a wet rag but I would urge caution in regards to the NY Post article. Robert O and crew traveled to Paris last month to shoot a *Private Screenings* with Ms. deHavilland.

It may be that she appears at the FF this April via clips from that interview or via the screening of her *Private Screenings* interview or she may appear in person.

We won't know for sure until the official announcement from TCM is made in the months ahead.

I would hate for anyone to buy a pass (beginning later this month) expecting Ms. deHavilland to be there in person and then be disappointed if she can not make it.

Me, too, Izcutter!

Until a formal, official announcement is made from TCM, it's all speculation!

Whether Olivia de Havilland is in LA in person introducing the film at the Turner Classic Film Festival 2014, or has a virtual introduction prepared, or is represented by her presence in the film of *Gone With The Wind*, it is still promising to be a special celebration because of TCM's 20th anniversary.

Hmmm. Interesting. I need to research the source of their ?disagreement? ? afraid I?m not current on the details. Is the rift one that is so serious that two 90+ year-old women ( who are related) are willing to take it to their respective graves ??? In any event, as LZ suggests, we should probably not get ahead of ourselves on Olivia ? let alone Joan.

CrazyDC

True, Cinecrazy.

You might want to read Joan Fontaine's autobiography, *No Bed of Roses.*

WOW! There are now about 296 entries in TCM's Ultimate Fan Contest!

http://fancontest.tcm.com/entries

My latest blog entry is *NIGHT OF THE HUNTER: Who is it scaring now?*

> Is the rift one that is so serious that two 90+ year-old women ( who are related) are willing to take it to their respective graves ???

Yes.

There are different theories on the cause of the rift (professional jealousy, personal jealousy, competitiveness, childhood grudge, etc), but neither comments on it to the press. Whatever the cause, the two sisters live very separate lives and seem to prefer it that way.

Here are my theories:

Theory one: Joan was the one who was actually after Ashley Wilkes in GWTW and considers Olivia a man thief (with apologies to Vivian Leigh).

Theory two: This is a real life version of *The Wrong Box (1966)*, which pitted the Finsbury brothers (played, respectively, by Ralph Richardson and John Mills) against each other for surviving control of the tontine.

Cinecrazy