Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

To me Judy Holliday put life back into American comedies.    Of course comedies were at their height during the 30s leading up to the war.   Post war comedies just didn't have the same magic as those made prior to the war  (with the exception of the those by Preston Sturges and a few other).

Holliday and the films she was in recaptured that 30s magic.

• Like 1

I agree, James. Judy Holliday wrested the archetype of the dumb blonde from several prominent actreses and turned it on its kister with "Born Yesterday," and the talent of William Holden was the gorgeous catalyst.

IMG_1734_zpsqsjutx8m.jpg

An article from Pictures magazine in 1946 or 1947 stated that author Betty McDonald's book, "The Egg and I" was "the country's biggest coast-to-coast laugh since Wrong Way Corrigan landed" on the shores of Ireland. Selling more than one million copies, the film starred Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray.

This year at the festival, Kate MacMurray will introduce the 1947 film.

IMG_1735_zpsj584fome.jpg

To publicize the film, professional huckster Jim Moran sat on an ostrich egg to hype the film. Read more about Moran's antics here: http://hoaxes.org/archive/permalink/jim_moran"

I'll bet TCM Film Festival pass holders have an update by Wednesday. So get ready!

Wowee!!

More films added!

Here: http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/

The Awful Truth

America, America

Bonnie and Clyde

Barefoot in the Park

Beat The Devil

Bridge On the River Kwai

Broadcast News

Bye, Bye Birdie!

Cat People

Cry The Beloved Country

David and Lisa

Dawson City: Frozen Time

The Great Dictator

Harold and Maude

I’m All Right, Jack.

The Incident

Laura

Love Crazy

Lady Sings The Blues

Lady in the Dark

The Maltese Falcon

Lured

The Magic Box

Never Give a Sucker An Even Break

Panique

Planet of the Apes

REAR WINDOW!!!

Requiem For a Heavyweight

Red River

Republic Preserved

Some Lile It Hot

Way Out West

Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?

Zardoz! (Midnight Movie!)

And more....

Festival Schedule: http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/schedule/

Some fine additions to the festival and some tough decisions to be made.

Panique is a superb film noir, with a great performance by Michel Simon and imaginative direction by Julien Duvivier. French anti-semitism, collaboration with the Nazis, and mob behavior form the subtext of this dark story.

Seeing Genevieve Bujold at the showing of King of Hearts is high on my list this year.

• Like 1

Kingrat, then we'll have to see King of Hearts together!

I'm thrilled about all the new additions to the special guest lineup as well as the fabulous schedule.

Wyatt McCrea has been added to the roster of guests for "The Palm Beach Story," Dana Delany(!!!), Sara Karloff (for "Cat People," I assume.), James Brooks (The Mary Tyler Moore Show, &Terms of Endearment, among others) for "Broadcast News," The Silver Screen Oasis Guest Star Jeremy Arnold for "Some Like It Hot," John Huston's script supervisor on 14 of his films, Angela Allen, and more...

Check it out here and read their biographies: http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/special-guests/

See the phenomenal list of guests!

JIM ABRAHAMS - Writer, Producer, Director

ANGELA ALLEN - Script Supervisor

ALLOY ORCHESTRA

JEREMY ARNOLD - Author and Film Historian

JOHN BADHAM - Director

BOB BALABAN - Producer, Director, Actor and Writer

CRAIG BARRON - Visual-Effects Artist and Sound Designer

CARI BEAUCHAMP - Author, Film Historian and Documentarian

JERRY BECK - Animation Historian

PETER BOGDANOVICH - Actor, Director and Author

DONALD BOGLE - Film Historian

SEBASTIAN BOSWELL III - Performer

JAMES L. BROOKS - Writer, Director, Producer

MEL BROOKS - Director, Producer, Actor, Writer

GENEVIÈVE BUJOLD - Actress

BEN BURTT - Visual-Effects Artist and Sound Designer

DICK CAVETT - Former Talk Show Host, Author and Entertainer

JULIE DAWN COLE - Child Psychotherapist and Former Actor

DANA DELANY - Actress, Producer

ILLEANA DOUGLAS - Actress, Director, Writer and Producer

MICHAEL DOUGLAS

KEIR DULLEA - Actor

TODD FISHER - Producer

BOB FURMANEK - 3-D Preservationist

STATHIS GIALLELIS - Actor

LORI LEIGH GIELEGHEM - Singer

RUSTY GOFFE - Actor

BRUCE GOLDSTEIN - Film Forum Repertory Program Director and Founder of Rialto Pictures

LEE GRANT - Actor, Director and Author

RANDY HABERKAMP - Managing Director of Preservation and Foundation Programs for AMPAS

AMY HELLER - Film Distributor

BUCK HENRY - Writer and Actor

JOHN MICHAEL HIGGINS - Actor

FREDERICK HODGES - Music director

LESLIE IWERKS - Director and Producer

NORMAN JEWISON - Director

QUINCY JONES - Producer, Composer, Conductor and Musician

WILLIAM JOYCE - Fillmmaker and Author

ANDREA KALAS - Head Archivist, Paramount

DAVE KARGER - Television Host, Entertainment Expert

SARA KARLOFF

GREG KINTZ - 3-D Preservationist

LYNNE KIRSTE - Special Collections Curator at the Academy Film Archive

JOHN LANDIS - Director, Writer and Producer

RUTA LEE - Actor

HEATHER LINVILLE - Film Preservationist, Academy Film Archive

SUZANNE LLOYD - Producer, President of Harold Lloyd Entertainment

KATE MACMURRAY - Writer

ALICIA MALONE - Film Journalist and TV host

LEONARD MALTIN - Film Critic and Historian

JEFF MASINO - Producer, Publisher, Flicker Alley

WYATT McCREA - Producer, Actor, Businessman

TARA McNAMARA - Film Analyst and Television Host

RUSSELL MERRITT - Director and producer

WALTER MIRISCH - Producer

ANNE MORRA - MoMa Film Curator

BILL MORRISON - Director

MICHAEL MORTILLA - Composer and Musician

EDDIE MULLER - Film Noir Foundation President and Author

KLIPH NESTEROFF - Author

BOB NEWHART - Actor and Comedian

LARRY PEERCE - Director

DONNA PESCOW - Actress

JIM PIDDOCK - Actor

MIKE POGORZELSKI - Director, Academy Film Archive

SIDNEY POITIER - Actor and Director

CARL REINER - Director, Writer and Actor

ROB REINER - Director, Actor, Producer and Activist

MICHAEL SCHLESINGER - Writer and Director

SEAN SHARP - Baritone, Graphics Director and DJ

PIERRE SIMENON - Author and Entrepreneur

DONALD SOSIN - Film Composer and Pianist

DEBORAH STOIBER - Collection Manager, Moving Image Department, George Eastman Museum

GREGORY TIEDE - Stentor

PARIS THEMMEN - Actor

ALEX TREBEK - Game Show Host

MICHAEL USLAN - Originator/Exec Producer Batman Film Franchise

FRED WILLARD - Actor and Comedian

BRET WOOD - Producer, Film Distributor

DAVID ZUCKER - Writer, Producer, Director

JERRY ZUCKER - Writer, Producer, Director

What a Festival you all have planned for this year and all in just eleven months!  They seem to get better each year despite always losing so many classic people between them.  No wonder you couldn't wait until May. 

That guest lineup is amazing.  There are so many I'd love to meet starting with Ruta Lee whom I've loved since I was a kid-not that she'd want to hear that from somebody who's 71.   

I'd also like to know if Alex Trebek has any acting credits on film, either here or in Canada..  I mentioned on another thread that I've been watching his predecessor on Jeopardy, Art Fleming, starring on a 50's Western series and wonder if he has anything similar in his background we can look at..

It's good this is happening now.  We're all still mourning RO and this is a chance for those who can come to do it together while also celebrating him in the place where he put so much of himself making the Festival what it has become.  I'll be thinking of all of you while catching what will be on TCM for us back home to share.  Everybody have a great time and get there and back safely.   

• Like 1

Wouldbestar, Thank you so much for sharing such lovely sentiments here.

I'm glad I got to meet you at one of the festivals. Wasn't it in  2011?

I hope all is well, TP.

For a printable copy of the TCM Film Festival Schedule for 2017, click here: https://delivery.shopifyapps.com/-/f39aa39490a4df5c/eb5cde140656e11d

Thanks to Kate Gabrielle for the PDF.

Debbie Reynold's costumes will be displayed at the festival courtesy of Todd Fisher, who is a special guest at the festival this year as he will introduce "Singin' In The Rain" as a tribute to Debbie, and ""Postcards from the Edge" as a tribute to his sister, Carrie Fisher: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/03/26/debbie-reynolds-film-dresses-display-tcm-film-festival/99551602/

IMG_1759_zps7k7ghn3m.jpg

Author, historian, and Sue Sue pal Jeremy Arnold, a Silver Screen Oasis Guest Star last month, will introduce two films at the festival this year, "Some Like It Hot"(Thursday at 6, in the Chinese Multiplex 1), and Never Give a Sucker an Even Break"(4:30 Friday in the Chinese Multiplex 6).

Arnold authored "The Essentials: 52 Must-See Movies That Matter."

Thanks to KTEP in El Paso, Texas, for this interview with Charlie Tabesh, Senior Vice President for Programming!

IMG_1762_zpsylceadpu.jpg

"The TCM cable channel has been a go to for classic movie lovers. While TCM allows movie lovers to enjoy the classics in the comfort of their own homes, TCM also recognizes the importance of the communal experience in watching a film with fellow film enthusiasts. It is for that reason that TCM hosts the TCM Classic Film Festival and remains one of the important film festivals for the classics. Charlie Tabish, TCM's Senior Vice President for Programming, discusses this years film festival that will run from April 6-9 in Hollywood."

Here 'tis the linkadinkadoo: http://ktep.org/post/film-tcm-classic-film-festival-3

If you see Mr. Tabesh running around at the festival, make sure you tell him thank you for 8 fabulous years of cinematic festival fun!

Sue Sue Festival friend Cari Beauchamp, a popular presenter at the festival, will be introducing at least five films this year. She visits with actor Keir Dullea (2001:A Space Odyssey) before the screening of "David and Lisa," and will chat with script supervisor on 11 of John Huston's film, British go-to-gal Angela Allen. Allen also worked with Sir Carol Reed, and last apppeared at a TCM Film Festival for the screening of "Pandora and The Flying Dutchman." Beauchamp also has the pleasure of introducing "The Palm Beach Story" with Wyatt McCrea..

Try to catch one of her appearances! She always has unusual facts and professional perspectives on the films and celebrities she's interviewing.

IMG_1760_zpsguag41fa.jpg

Learn more about her:

Cari Beauchamp is an award-winning writer and documentary filmmaker. She is the author of Without Lying Down: Frances Marion and the Powerful Women of Early Hollywood; Joseph P. Kennedy Presents: His Hollywood Years and four other books on film history. Her anthology, My First Time in Hollywood: Stories from the Pioneers, Dreamers and Misfits who Made the Movies, was published in April of 2015. Her books have been selected for “Best of the Year” lists by The New York Times, the Los Angeles Times, Booklist and Amazon.

Cari wrote and co-produced the documentary film Without Lying Down (2000) about the women of early Hollywood, which played on Turner Classic Movies and for which she was nominated for a Writers Guild Award. She also wrote the documentary film The Day My God Died (2003) about young girls of Nepal sold into sexual slavery, which played on PBS and was nominated for an Emmy.

She has appeared in multiple documentaries for TCM and others including Moguls & Movie Stars: A History of Hollywood (2010) and The Story of Film: An Odyssey (2011), as well as being a featured speaker at venues throughout the United States and Europe including the British Film Institute, the Museum of Modern Art and the Cannes Film Festival. She serves as Resident Scholar of the Mary Pickford Foundation and on the Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film’s advisory board. She writes for Vanity Fair and various other magazines and is the only person to twice be named an Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Film Scholar.

In attendance: BEAT THE DEVIL , DAVID AND LISA , SO THIS IS PARIS, THE PALM BEACH STORY, RED-HEADED WOMAN

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1854_zps4mwutxxz.jpg

Ben Mankiewicz, Diane Baker, and Producer Anne Wilson at the Tribute to Robert Osborne on Thursday....

Here's the TCM recap of Tweeted highlights from 2017 TCM Classic Film Festival on Spotify:

"Join us to see all the happenings at the 2017 TCM Classic Film Festival with Sidney Poitier, Carl & Rob Reiner, Mel Brooks, Michael Douglas & more": https://storify.com/tcm/2017-tcm-classic-film-festival?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

IMG_1892_zpsthnuykpb.jpg

Actor Chris Tucker and Producer Quincy Jones on the TCM Film Festival Red Carpet...

17861438_1515626678481557_59748462553084

The 3-D Restoration of Those Redheads From Seattle was one of the best experiences I've ever had with a 3-D movie. The colors, the songs, and action, and the characters were fascinating, and seeing a wonderful film for the first time with like-minded friends makes the moment even more enjoyable.

Here's the latest on that restoration from Bob Furmanek, and 3-D Film Archive, LLC:

The above photo "is the original scan vs. the end result as delivered by 3-D Film Archive on THOSE REDHEADS FROM SEATTLE.

The 35mm negatives - and especially the many opti...cals (dupe negative) scattered throughout the film - are terribly faded. On top of extensive color correction and flicker reduction, factor in the meticulous shot-by-shot stereoscopic alignment/panel matching by Greg Kintz and frame-by-frame dirt/damage clean-up by Thad Komorowski and you would expect a restoration of this caliber to easily run six figures. In fact, if it went to a post facility like Photokem in LA or Cineric in NY, it could easily have run $200K, or more.

We brought the entire restoration in for $14K.

If we had tried to raise more than ten times what we ultimately spent in bringing this rare film back to life, it would have never been seen in 3-D again. There's simply not enough profit to be made with a 3-D Blu-ray release. But for three months, we worked around the clock to make this happen. Multiple favors were pulled and many sleepless nights went into finishing the master. We believe you will be quite pleased with our results.

REDHEADS was a big hit when it premiered at the TCM festival and you can own it on 3-D Blu-ray when it's released by Kino Lorber on May 23!"

• 2 weeks later...

Several pre-fest gatherings in and around the Hollywood Roosevelt pool on Wednesday, April 5, gave pass holders time to connect before the screening frenzies began on Thursday, April 6...

IMG_1915_zpsqccwnnh5.jpg

Bob, Aileen from Tampa, Florida, Eva, and Dan, also from Tampa, had time for a quick photo at the Tropicana Bar poolside. Aileen has been reading all about the TCM Film Festivals since June of 2010 when Sue Sue made her first post her on the TCM Message Boards Film Festival Forum...

Thanks, Aileen! It was fabulous to meet you at the festival! :-)

IMG_1918_zpsshgxxvns.jpg

Perky TCM gal Kristen Welch welcomed pass holders with these adorable ribbons reminding festgoers to share their event activities using #TCMFF on social media sites....

IMG_1922_zpsygckqsbd.jpg

A very thirsty Shawn Moore wants everyone to know he's been to every TCM Film Festival, just like Sue Sue....Don't you absolutely love the special pass he made to verify his dedicated participation? ;-)

IMG_1893_zpszrl2jrcn.jpg

Actress Dana Delany introduced "Love Crazy" Thursday, April 6 at the #TCMFF 2017....

The TCM Film Festival has its closeup in The New Yorker: http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/ready-for-our-closeup-the-2017-tcm-film-festival

IMG_1930_zpsreur67pc.jpg

(Photo of "Mildred Pierce" home by Sue Sue, April 10, 2017)

"Mildred Pierce" abode's mysteries from the set: http://sunsetoverhollywood.blogspot.com/2017/04/saturday-on-set-mildred-pierces-home.html

Up on the rooftop of the Roosevelt on Thursday, April 6, I was enjoying a little pampering thanks to the salon staff, James and Sabin, at the Van Michael Salon.....

IMG_4172_zpsggzrxbsf.jpg

IMG_4174_zpscxakuhna.jpg

Dahlings, I just love a penthouse view.....

IMG_4171_zpssex16pua.jpg

Or two....

IMG_4164_zpszegqpg5o.jpg

And here is the bedroom of the penthouse suite!

makeover_zpslmboaauq.jpg

I thank the staff for perking up my media credential look for the rest of Thursday!

OOh, and something wonderful happened on Wednesday at the pool. I completely forgot to mention how much fun pass holders had at a free social media event at 4 p.m....

IMG_1919_zpsqawh0on2.jpg

Before the festival officially began, social media groups had an informal gathering Wednesday afternoon, April 5, in The Garden Café area of the Hollywood Roosevelt. Here fans are anxiously waiting for actress Barbara Rush to make an appearance for her interview with writer Danny Miller..

FullSizeRender_zps7s5advt7.jpg

They were all watching as Rush greeted one of her fans before the interview began...

• Like 1