Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SueSueApplegate

SUE SUE II...

While I am not a big fan of stadium seating being installed in Grauman's, the thing that concerns me more than that is the addition of the digital marquee on the front of the theater.

It seems a needless addition that won't add any value to its presence beyond being able to say, "it's what people expect these days". And given that the restoration that Hollywood Heritage oversaw in the early aughts has returned the forecourt and signage to it's original look, a digital marquee is likely to stick out like a sore thumb.

The Arclight has managed to do without a digital marquee on the front of the Dome for low these many years and no one is complaining or not going to the Arclight because of that.

Kyle,

I've never found giving a developer the benefit of the doubt ever works to anyone's benefit but the developer's.

I'm with Ms. Cutter on this one.

David in Seattle

While the reassuring comment, "All concur that the renovation will not affect any historic character defining features," is the salve that might soothe the savage classic film fan and historic preservationist, I feel that there are several issues that concern me, and probably other TCMFF passholders.

The loss of 160 seats to the new stadium seating blueprints indicate that at the more popular screenings, sixty passholders will have the experience of seeing the ushers close the doors a hundred and sixty people sooner than they would have in the past.

The area of the forecourt is also one of the defining characteristics of the historic nature of Grauman's Chinese Theatre, and to the awe and wonderment of the curious tourist, it will always be a part of the allure of such a repository of classic film heritage, so I hope that it's accessibility and proximity to theatrical events also remains unchanged.

But the concern that is at the forefront of my anxiety also echoes the sage comments of lzcutter:

"*While I am not a big fan of stadium seating being installed in Grauman's, the thing that concerns me more than that is the addition of the digital marquee on the front of the theater.*

It seems a needless addition that won't add any value to its presence beyond being able to say, "it's what people expect these days. "And given that the restoration that Hollywood Heritage oversaw in the early aughts has returned the forecourt and signage to it's original look, a digital marquee is likely to stick out like a sore thumb.

*The Arclight has managed to do without a digital marquee on the front of the Dome for low these many years and no one is complain.*

To recap important links from our well-informed board memebers:

*Countess De Lave:*

Los Angeles Historic Theatre Foundation

www.lahtf.org

*Izcutter*:

In addition to the restoration described below, Grauman's at that time also upgraded the sound system within the theater:

An upgrade to that sound system has been proposed as well as a new, larger screen.

Both of which could probably be done without altering the restoration.

*Kyle*:

One can read about the Los Angeles Historical-Cultural Monuments and Historical Cultural Committee here:

http://www.preservation.lacity.org/commission

And the Los Angeles Conservancy is a powerful non-profit in LA whose mission is to protect the architectural history of the city. The group even has a sub-committee devoted to historic theaters:

Here's the Wiki about the Hollywood Historic-Cultural Commission and a list of Hollywood sites that are already designated:

I am among those who are concerned by what is going on, seat-wise, inside the theater.

First, stadium seating? Yes, it works inside the Arclight and other theaters, but I have never found any seat in the house where it is hard to see the screen. Really, that screen is one of the biggest you will ever find! The Chinese is a landmark.

Second, why would they cut down on the amount of seats? If they are trying to make money, 200 seats will hurt. If they really want to make money, they should play many films throughout the year, not just 26 weeks of a Tyler Perry film or a crappy horror movie. Honestly, films open there and stay and stay and stay. When I am at the TCM Festival and see something at the Chinese, I think how much I want to come back during the year to see something else at this great theater...but a whole year goes by without something worthwhile and that nexty time I looked forward to being there turns out to be with the next TCM Festival.

When movie theaters start making changes inside the theater, it often ends with them making it a multiplex. I hope that doesn't happen with the Chinese. It already has a multiplex next door.

Thanks for those concerned comments, filmlover. I hope decisions concerning Grauman's Chinese Theatre, now renamed the TCL Chinese Theatre, will consider the importance of such a historical venue.

For those of you interested in all the fun on the TCM Cruise, Helenbaby has started posting, and a few others will be soon!

P.S. She just shared a BIG secret about Ben Mankiewicz!

Barbara Streisand, star of the upcoming TCMFF 2013 Gala Premiere film of *Funny Girl,* is appearing at this year's 85th Academy Awards ceremonies: http://www.oscars.org/

This is the first time she has performed during an Oscar's telecast in 36 years:

{size:15px}http://www.app.com/viewart/20130130/NJENT/301300060/Barbra-Streisand-will-sing-Oscars

And she is also scheduled to be the recipient of the Film Society of Lincoln Center's 40th Annual Chaplin Award: {size:15px}http://www.barbrastreisand.com/us/home

Seems she plans on stepping out this spring. Might that include a walk down the red carpet on April 25th?

Capture_zpsa0378640.png

Porsche partners with TCMFF 2013 for a special screening of *Le Mans (1971)* starring Steve McQueen:http://turner.tekgroup.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=6305&

DSC_0180.jpg

badlands-3.jpg

*Badlands*, Terence Malick's banner 1973 cinematic journey starring Sissy Spacek and Martin Sheen, is scheduled for a special screening at the festival this year, and I wanted to share this insightful review from Emanuel Levy's Masterpieces of American Cinema Series:

{size:15px}http://www.emanuellevy.com/review/masterpieces-of-american-cinema-badlands/

SPOILER ALERTS if you have never seen this landmark film!

{size:15px}

If this is your first time as a passholder to the Turner Classic Film Festival,

I heartily encourage all virgin attendees to educate your passionate inner

cinephile about film screenings and personalities scheduled for festival

events to thoroughly enhance your visit!

It's only 80 days until the Roosevelt starts cooking up the fun!

As a native of Virginia (my hometown is Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia), historic preservation really means something to us and I am very concerned about what may be happening to Grauman's. I'm trying to visualize the changes that have been talked about, but I'm having a difficult time imagining anything that is of a positive nature. Most of the kinds of things that have been talked about have to pass muster with the federal National Historic Preservation Act (California has a similar statute), and Grauman's (I'm sure) made the National Register of Historic Places long ago. I'd like to know more about how the changes were approved and any input from the LA Conservancy which, as Kyle notes, carries a lot of weight.

I won't be able to make the festival this year, so I guess I'll have to wait until 2014 to find out !

Cinecrazy DC

Sorry we will miss you this year in L.A. Cinecrazy!

Thanks for your concern about Grauman's. I have searched the National Register of Historic Places, and Grauman's( Mann's, TCL) is not listed. Maybe we should another thread for this topic in the Festivals Forum.

Thanks, Sue Sue. I'll miss you guys too. Grauman's NOT listed in the NRHP !! You're kiddin' me ! But then, you did the research, so you must be right. I'm flabbergasted !!!

Say hello to Woody and the gang. Maybe catch you in 2014 (2015 will be the anniversary of the *Sound of Music*) and wild horses couldn't keep me away from that !!!

Cinecrazy DC

Dear CineCrazy,

You know you will be missed! Maybe I will see everybody on the next cruise!

Did you notice that we seem to have an update for the TCMFF 2013 every six or seven days?

So one might be due any minute. I can't wait to discover who else is on the guest list, and which screenings will be added to the schedule. Since we have two Steve McQueen films, I was wondering if Chad McQueen will be one of our guest speakers?

Or maybe...

thCAYF9JMX_zpsea4f0427.jpg

...Steven R. McQueen from *The Vampire Diaries*, grandson of Steve, might come for a visit!

Thanks, SueSue. This will be my first absence since the thing began in 2010. I came out with a friend last year who is a big McQueen fan. I saw on the channel where Ben M and Tom Brown visited Musso and Frank's restaurant on Hollywood Boulevard on one of their "drives" around town, and Musso's was apparently a famous McQ watering hole. There is even a specific booth there where McQ apparently liked to sit, and I definitely plan to take that in on the next visit in 2014 or sooner.

Yes, it would be great if they could get Chad McQ or Steven R to come and represent. I think there was some pushback last year about the (lack of) frequency of the announcements, so maybe they're trying to address that this year. Kills me every time I see the trailer Especially Giant -- as it has that Maryland-Texas connection !!

BTW, you might want to check on my cruise photos again. When I pull up the message boards, they seem to be there, so hopefully it was just a temporary thing. Don't know what the issue was. I tried to communicate with you about this via your private mail box (on the TCM site), but your box is full :(

Will miss y'all at the FF this year !! Keep me posted about all the doings !

Cinecrazy.

This just in from the Turner Newsroom:

KiminPhfft.jpg

*TCM to Celebrate Career of Actress Kim Novak on March 6 with Interview Special and Four Films* *TCM's Robert Osborne Hosts Kim Novak: Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival, Hour-Long Interview Special Taped Last April in Hollywood*

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) will celebrate the extraordinary career of actress Kim Novak with an entire night of programming Wednesday, March 6, beginning at 8 p.m. (ET). The evening will open with the premiere of Kim Novak: Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival, a one-hour interview special hosted by TCM's Robert Osborne and taped at last year's festival in Hollywood.

In addition to Kim Novak: Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival, TCM will explore Novak's career with presentations of four memorable films: Bell, Book and Candle (1958), Picnic (1955), The Man with the Golden Arm (1955) and Of Human Bondage (1964).

"Kim Novak had one of the really interesting careers in the movie business," Osborne says in his introduction to Kim Novak: Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival. "Her rise in Hollywood in the 1950s was meteoric. She went from being a fledgling model to a full-blown superstar in the space of just two short years. By 1956, she was considered the movie's #1 box office star in the world."

Novak was a reluctant superstar, however, as Osborne goes on to explain. "She turned her back on fame and eventually left Hollywood for a quiet life in the Pacific Northwest, where she ultimately found what she'd always been after: contentment."

Last April, after more than two decades away from the spotlight, Novak accepted TCM's invitation to return to Hollywood as a special guest at the 2012 TCM Classic Film Festival. During that festival, she was honored with a hand and footprint ceremony at TCL Chinese Theatre, followed by her extensive interview with Osborne in front of a packed house at The Avalon theater.

"This was something all of us at TCM have wanted to happen for a long time, and it was well worth the wait," Osborne says about his conversation with Novak. "Kim was candid, revealing, funny, heartbreakingly honest and beautiful. The end result is one of my favorites of any interview I've ever had the good fortune to be a part of."

*TCM Celebrates Kim Novak* – Wednesday, March 6

8 p.m. – Kim Novak: Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival (2013) – Premiere

9 p.m. – *Bell, Book and Candle* (1958) – Kim Novak stars in this delightful adaptation of John Van Druten's play about a witch who sets her sights on a publisher who is already engaged to be married. James Stewart plays the object of her affections. Jack Lemmon, Janice Rule, Ernie Kovacs, Hermione Gingold and Elsa Lanchester co-star.

11 p.m. – *Kim Novak: Live from the TCM Classic Film Festival* (2013) – Encore

Midnight – *Picnic* (1955) – William Inge's Pulitzer Prize-winning play serves as the basis for this memorable romantic drama directed by Joshua Logan. Novak plays a young woman who falls for a drifter (William Holden), even though she's in a relationship with his pal (Cliff Robertson). Rosalind Russell and Arthur O'Connell co-star.

2 a.m. – *The Man with the Golden Arm* (1955) – In this searing social drama from director Otto Preminger, Frank Sinatra plays a musician struggling to overcome a heroin addiction. Novak plays the former flame who complicates his life even further. Eleanor Parker and Darren McGavin also star, with the memorable jazz score provided by Elmer Bernstein.

4:15 a.m. – *Of Human Bondage* (1964) – This adaptation of Somerset Maugham's classic romance, Novak stars as a poor waitress who attracts the passions of a young doctor, played by Laurence Harvey. Robert Morley, Siobhan McKenna, Roger Livesey and Brenda Fricker co-star under the direction of Ken Hughes.

AND this news "just in" concerning the ROAD TO HOLLYWOOD:

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) has added six legendary stars and seven cities to this year's Road to Hollywood, the nationwide tour of free screenings leading up to the 2013 TCM Classic Film Festival in Hollywood. Angie Dickinson, Jane Powell, Mitzi Gaynor, Robert Wagner and Tippi Hedren are set to make appearances during the 10-city tour, which has added February events in Dallas and Washington, D.C.; March events in Boston and Chicago; and April events in San Francisco and Albuquerque.

DerDukeAngieDickinson.jpg

Dallas – Tuesday, Feb. 19, at 7:30 (CT) – The Historic Texas Theater

*Rio Bravo* (1959) – Hosted by Ben Mankiewicz, with special guest Angie Dickinson

Tickets available Feb. 8.

Washington, D.C. – Thursday, Feb. 21, at 7:30 p.m. (ET) – The AFI Silver Theatre (Silver Springs, Md.)

METROPOLIS.gif

*Metropolis* (1927) – Hosted by Ben Mankiewicz and featuring a the Alloy Orchestra performing their original score

Tickets available Feb. 8.

janepowell.jpg

Boston – Tuesday, March 12, at 7:30 p.m. (CT) – Brattle Theatre

*Royal Wedding* (1951) – Hosted by Leonard Maltin, with special guest Jane Powell

Tickets available February 26.

MitziGaynor.jpg

Chicago – Tuesday, March 19, at 7:30 p.m. (CT) – Music Box Theater

*South Pacific* (1958) – Hosted by Leonard Maltin, with special guest Mitzi Gaynor

Tickets available March 5.
*Does this mean Mitzi Gaynor might also be guest at the Turner Classic Film Festival in April to introduce a screening of South Pacific? It certainly is a cinematic journey!*

Untitled-Grayscale-01-7.jpg

San Francisco – Tuesday, April 16, at 7:30 p.m. (PT) – The Castro Theatre

*The Pink Panther* (1964) – Hosted by Robert Osborne, with special guest Robert Wagner

Tickets available April 2.

hedren_tippi.jpg

Albuquerque – Thursday, April 18, at 7:30 p.m. (MT) – KiMo Theatre

*Marnie* (1964) – Hosted by Ben Mankiewicz, with special guest Tippi Hedren

Tickets available April 4.

Thanks, filmlover, about the notice concerning the lovely Loretta Young exhibit at Hollywood Museum. I am so grateful that it will still be available during the festival!

If Ted Turner and Jane Fonda are still "good friends," will he attend Jane Fonda's footprint ceremony?

(It is called Turner Classic Movies, after all.)

Will Mitzi Gaynor also visit LA in April to introduce *South Pacific* since she is part of the lovely Road to Hollywood series?

Will someone from Steve McQueen's family introduce one of his two films currently slated for screening?

All these questions and more will soon be answered when the schedule is announced!

And I can't wait!

GUESTS ANNOUNCED FOR 2013

* * * * [Jerry Beck|http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/special-guests/index.php?id=5] - Author and Animation Historian* * *

* * * * [Carl Davis|http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/special-guests/index.php?id=6] - Composer and Conductor* * *

* * * * [Jane Fonda|http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/special-guests/index.php?id=7] - Actress* * *

* * * * [Tippi Hedren|http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/special-guests/index.php?id=8] - Actress* * *

* * * * [Leonard Maltin|http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/special-guests/index.php?id=9] - Film Critic and Historian* * *

* * * * [Albert Maysles|http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/special-guests/index.php?id=10] - Documentarian and Cinematographer* * \ {size:15px} \ \ Here's a link to the currently announced films: \ http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/films.php*

Debbie Reynold's son, Todd Fisher, has organized a website, Debbie Reynold's Studio Store, to sell items that were not part of her recent auction, so check out the link if you are interested in Hollywood Memorabilia:
http://www.debbiereynoldsstudiostore.co ... ers?page=3|http://www.debbiereynoldsstudiostore.com/collections/posters?page=3

Pssst!

The Sneaky Petes updating the website have snuck in a few unannounced surprises over the last day or two. Like Death is coming to the Boulevard in 2013. I hope he is on a holiday!

And for some reason I am hearing live theater organ music too!

ps - SueSue, make sure you pack all your best "Baubles, Bangles and Beads!"

kjk

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Feb 19, 2013 12:28 PM

Haha! Thanks, Kyle! Mitzi is coming! And so is France Nuyen. *South Pacific*, a definite cinematic journey, has been added to the film schedule line up as well as *Airplane!* (And the Zuckers!), *The Desert Song, The Narrow Margin, Mildred Pierce, Tarzan Finds a Son*, and *The Seventh Seal,* a definite reason to invite Max Von Sydow.

It looks like Ann Blyth will also be with us for *Mildred Pierce* and *Kismet* !

And *It*, with a live performance of the orchestral score commissined by Photoplay Productions and conducted by Carl Davis. *The Big Parade* is also on the bill, and it has a prerecorded original score by Carl Davis. Kevin Brownlow is also scheduled!

Link to guests: http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/special-guests.php

Link to films: http://filmfestival.tcm.com/programs/films.php

Link to announcement: http://filmfestival.tcm.com/CMS/img/5123ac8e3564d.pdf

Though that picture looks like a circus is going on, seeing a film at the El Capitan is one of the greatest movie-going experiences there is. The opening of the curtains is worth the price of admission!

The Big Parade??!!! Funny, I can't think of anyone on the whole board who would show up for that. ;)

I am excited by Max Von Sydow attending!