Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dmallon

The Enchanted Cottage

A beautiful movie that some people aren't familiar with. I've come to appreciate Dorothy McGuire much more than I once did.

I have always loved this movie. I am much more accustomed to seeing Robert Montgomery comedies. He is wonderful in this role!

I know you meant Robert Young, and I am in agreement with you. If you've ever seen Father Knows Best, I think this was the role that let him transition out of male pretty face status.

I love how Dorothy is given harsher lighting and average looks; it sort of helps us poor underlings in the audience realize the limits of what we see with our eyes, and where beauty is found. And Herbert Marshall's wonderful story of the people plunged into darkness is an eye-opener, all puns intended!

My only quibble is the denouement (for the couple) after their marriage, As a writer, I can see the plot-progression, (with the symbol of the Cottage for Newlyweds only) but more could have been made of what Mrs Minite sees and not the wedding night melodrama played out. How do you see the night of enchantment? Given the history of Oliver, it is a problem that Laura cannot see his underlying pain that her affection is alleviating.

Someone talk me down..

I watched the entire movie last night and it is different than a lot of the standard Hollywood stuff released at the time. The subject is tricky since one could imply it based on shallowness; that love is based on looks.

Of course the movie turns that around and says that when people are in love, looks don't matter (they are overcome by the sheer force of the love), but again, that could just be shallowness.

Until the last 3 or so years I didn't even know who Dorothy Mcquire was but I have now seen her in a few movies and she is a fine actress. This wasn't an easy role and one other actresses wouldn't wish to be associated with, I assume.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> Until the last 3 or so years I didn't even know who Dorothy Mcquire was but I have now seen her in a few movies and she is a fine actress. This wasn't an easy role and one other actresses wouldn't wish to be associated with, I assume.

>

>

>

It is a pity that more people don't remember who Dorothy is. She did a solid job in a host of movies during the 1940s after a good run in the theater. She is also one of the most important actors to be overlooked during the Oscars' memorial tribute.

This is probably my favorite of her movies. Of course, we owe playwright Rose Franken, who apparently insisted that McGuire recreate her stage role in the film of CLAUDIA for getting her to Hollywood.

Because of her quiet, non **** beauty, she was able to effectively convey both the inner and outer appearance of the character. Today, Hollywood would take some glamour girl, put her in a heavy latex mask and give her an Oscar for the portrayal.

Edited by: ginnyfan on Apr 26, 2012 3:11 PM

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:}{quote}

> I know you meant Robert Young, and I am in agreement with you. If you've ever seen Father Knows Best, I think this was the role that let him transition out of male pretty face status.

I do indeed mean Robert Young. I do not know why I always think one is the other.

I have read of Father Knows Best

I have not seen it.

> I love how Dorothy is given harsher lighting and average looks;

I find it amazing how they can make beautiful women look very plain. It was also the case in *My Big Fat Greek Wedding* (2002). It seems odd to me that they can use what it meant to be used to make people beautiful in the reverse. It is the opposite of air-brushing.

> My only quibble is the denouement (for the couple) after their marriage, As a writer, I can see the plot-progression, (with the symbol of the Cottage for Newlyweds only) but more could have been made of what Mrs Minite sees and not the wedding night melodrama played out. How do you see the night of enchantment?

I believe this is a situation where written words are more effective in that they can contain emotional information while they are creating the mental images and images on a screen must try to achieve that as an aftereffect.

There is also the point-of-view factor. A writer can change whose eyes through which the reader is looking. A movie is nearly always third-person. I believe this makes it far more difficult for a movie to achieve the subtle effects which are possible in writing.

I have been reminded that writing can also contain tactile and aromatic references which are missing from movies. The feel of silk sheets can remind a character of times they were alone which can heighten the fact that they believe they will now never be alone again. A jasmine-scented breeze coming through an open window can make a character believe the world has created just for them a sachet which invokes love and security. The visual analogs are very much less effective.

> {quote:title=casablancalover wrote:

>

> }{quote}My only quibble is the denouement (for the couple) after their marriage, As a writer, I can see the plot-progression, (with the symbol of the Cottage for Newlyweds only) but more could have been made of what Mrs Minite sees and not the wedding night melodrama played out. How do you see the night of enchantment? Given the history of Oliver, it is a problem that Laura cannot see his underlying pain that her affection is alleviating.

>

> Someone talk me down..

At that moment in the film it wasn't about what Mrs. Minite saw but rather what Oliver and Laura where feeling.

Laura couldn't know the help she was to Oliver because of her own insecurities. How could she see his underlying pain when she was dealing with her own? The pain of knowing, her entire life, that she was unattractive. This pain becomes even more acute on the night when she wants to be most attractive to her new husband and fears she never will be.

Well, thank you for responding.

I can emphasize very well with Laura's insecurities, I know she feels. But it is also fair to say in their night together, she is definitely more in love with him. It is to note that she idolizes him, and she does not see his injuries (his change) as he does. She speaks of how "he is everything I ever dreamed" I find it ironic that he proposes to her with what he perceives is selfishness, but in truth in resulting higher love.

h4. Laura Pennington, drama queen -not!

I was not arguing the incredible power of love to transform us, I just wanted to see if someone else could discern the motivations of the characters were displayed one way, but received by each other in a different view. I just didn't see her jumping up and racing away.... with her behavior even at the USO dance, she maintains a very low profile and just slips away. I would have had her just quietly stop playing at the piano and quietly weep. That would escalate the drama of Oliver approaching her, The dialog wouldn't even need to change. She is just such a quiet person..

Edited by: casablancalover on Apr 26, 2012 10:25 PM

I understand what you're saying and ask doen't this happen in life? We will present ourselves one way and it will be misinterpreted by the person in our company especially when we don't know that person very well.

Only all the time.

That's why whirlwind relationships founder.. I think a perfect example of that would be Fred Derry and Marie in THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES. The more they learned about each other with the passage of time, the less they liked each other.

This is not to say Oliver and Laura's relationship is doomed. They were approaching this from different perspectives.

Edited by: casablancalover on Apr 29, 2012 12:29 AM