Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

Pin-up boys?

I mentioned in another thread that there's more comment on women's beauty than of men being handsome. So I got to thinking, WERE there any "pin-up" guys?

My wife claims that generally, women don't think in those terms. But the recent times "Firemen calendars" and such tells me things might have changed.

But women can be hard to figure out. They'll wear false eyelashes, dye their hair or wear wigs, padded bras or get breast implants, wear girdles or get "tummy tucks", and wear high heel shoes to emphasize their backside and legs. But ask them to claim what feature they look for most in a man and they'll say "Honesty!"

But enough chauvanistic levity. Ladies, tell us which man you'd most like to see given the "pin-up" treatment. Who knows...FredCDobbs might even post a photo!

Sepiatone

I have a lot of vintage beefcake photos of actors I could post in this thread, incidentally.

Also, there already happens to be at elast one thread I know of on this very subject....male "beefcake".

Good topic, though....we know about the "cheesecake" pin-up girls way back when (like the famous Betty Grable wartime photo that became legendary)....but have there ever really been any "pin-up guys" from back then? I don't recall ever really reading about any.

...or what about simply the beefcake photos of popular actors of the time, such as we've seen in the various threads (already on the board) about George O'Brien, for example?

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}No full frontal nudity allowed.

Uh....duh. That goes without saying.

Why would you even bring that up....for fear of someone might post such a photo??

Google for "Victor Mature nude" and you'll find the infamous photo of Victor with "Victor Jr." on display. It's a jaw-dropper (and eye-opener).

Well, I hope never to see that picture of Connery again with his, um, plaids.

But, did Cagney ever do a beefcake? Grant? Mitchum? I am hoping Fred didn't just stockpile pictures of the gals.

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}

> Well, I hope never to see that picture of Connery again with his, um, plaids.

Are you referring to the picture I posted in another thread on this topic, sir?

Why is it considered appropriate to portray women's amplitudes in any place and at any time when even the smallest portrayal of a man's longitude is considered offensive?

willbefree25 your comment, "well I hope I never see that picture of Sean Connery again" made he laugh.

I agree with you.

Well my favorite pin-up boy would be John Garfield! Big suprise huh?

I never have liked my men (My men, I sound like Mae West) sorry. I have never found the "pretty boy" look or too beautiful of a man to be all that attractive.

I like a man to look like a man who has a handsome face yes, but who face also says, "I have taken all the world has heaved at me, and I am still standing strong." Garfield to me has that "seething manliness" that is very attractive. Even though he stood only 5'7 you knew he knew he was a man!

And there are some very nice "Beefcake" photos of him to prove my point.

Really? *Sir?* LOL (and I hate LOLs), I have offered up short of a real name every indication that I am a curmudgeonly old woman ! Really old. And even more really curmudgeonly and misanthropic. But funny.

Why is it considered appropriate to portray women's amplitudes in any place and at any time when even the smallest portrayal of a man's longitude is considered offensive?

Oh, man, that was hysterical! I don't know, and believe me, I am no prude, but I did NOT like finding out the direction of, um, Sean's, um, longitude. Meanwhile, Carole Lombard in her satins whilst a young lady was breathtaking. And no, I am NOT Nathan Lane-ish, trust me.

Hysterical. Thank you SansFin, you made my day.

> {quote:title=Lori3 wrote:}{quote}

> I never have liked my men (My men, I sound like Mae West) sorry. I have never found the "pretty boy" look or too beautiful of a man to be all that attractive.

A man who is delicately finely-featured makes me wonder if he has a boyfriend.

> I like a man to look like a man who has a handsome face yes, but who face also says, "I have taken all the world has heaved at me, and I am still standing strong."

I share your sentiment. A man's face should be intense and it should say: "I have seen life". I believe it should also be a warning that little girls who play with fire can have their hearts broken.

Me too, Lori! I abhore pretty boys!

I adore Garfield and Muni and Cagney, as I do Philip Seymour Hoffman and John C. Reilly.

I give Cary a break because he is beautiful but can act and dance and do comedy and drama and is, well, beyoootiful!

Make no mistake, I like Connery in movies (without his rug), but that picture was just icky......it was a hoot, and one I can't erase from my brain where it is permanently burned, thanks SansFin, but it was icky.

I think I've shared that I loved Richard Farnsworth, and was so very upset when he committed suicide. He had the face of which you speak, weather and world weary, and yet was a wonderful soft spoken actor. Now HE was a man. And he never posed in a white bathing suit with his directional longtitude. B-)

For me it would be Gene Kelly, Gene Kelly, Gene Kelly! He was so handsome. No disrespect to Mr. Kelly but he had a great rear end! Plus those thighs! My, oh my...

Nice pic......I always thought Mitchum was hot. Not your classic handsome face, but very sexy. I love men who have that "brooding" quality. You know they're thinking about something, but you can never figure out what it is. Mitchum had that quality, and so did Yul Brynner, Laurence Harvey, and Marlon Brando. Robert de Niro has it. I know he's getting up there in age, but he is still quite possibly the hottest man on the planet.

MovieGal53, Kelly had the hottest thighs............phew.

Geminigirl, it's the 'bad boy' look, right? The kind of guy your parents warn you against? Bogey had it in To Have And Have Not, I think. The screen was on fire when he and Baby looked at each other.

I'm looking at the AFI list of 'greatest screen legends (male) of all time' and other than Bogey, I'm having a hard time putting any of the others on a plane with Mitchum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFI%27s_100_Years..._100_Stars

Amazingly, it appears he was married to the same woman for 57 years! His bedroom eyes apparently belied the real man? I'm impressed.

hoez0fvj4wcuucj.jpg

This here is for "The Ladies!" Wow, if he could make Lana swoon, well, Wow!

Edited by: Lori3 on Apr 29, 2012 6:50 AM

Yep, you got it! And you are right, no one could get that sneer just like Mitchum. I'm getting ready to check him out in Night of the Hunter. Enjoy your Sunday..............

Edited by: Geminigirl on Apr 29, 2012 1:59 PM

Edited by: Geminigirl on Apr 29, 2012 2:00 PM