Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lori3

The Public Spoke the Loudest

His funeral broke the records previously set by Valentino.

A hour before his funeral was to begin, his widow was visited by two New York city police officers who asked her to please hold an open casket service for the public. She didn't want to at first, but when one of the officers said if she didn't they feared there might be a riot and sensing the panic in his voice she agreed.

Public mourners passed by the casket to say goodbye to a guy they felt they knew.This lasted up to near midnight.

In the back of chapel sat the deceased step-mother weeping quietly. For the last ten years since his fathers death he had been sending her a monthly check for $85.00. The day of his funeral she received his last check. Now it was for $50.00 with note stating he was sorry but he was no longer working steadily.

The numbers at not real clear but it is estimated that anywhere from 7,000 to 10,000 regular New Yorkers paid their final respects to this "regular" guy that a great talent lived in.

This all happened 60 years ago on May 23, 1952 at the funeral for John Garfield.

HUAC, the blacklisting, and the Hollywood community had did their thing, but it was the public who spoke the loudest on that day.

Forgive me again. There is just something inside of me, and I can't really figure it out, but I can't let John Garfield's memory die and I will do all I can to help give his memory the "star recognition" I and many others believe he deserves.

Lori

john_garfield.jpg

"I have nothing to hide and nothing to be ashamed of. My life is an open book. I am...a loyal citizen of this country by every act of my life."

And HUAC closed its investigation shortly after his death.

Getting away from the paranoid politics of the era, why do people who know they are ill avoid treatment? Garfield felt ill, unnaturally chilled, and refused a doctor. He instead curled up with a blanket and died.

Roy Orbison supposedly had chest pains the entire day of his death, and did nothing.

Wow Lori. I gotta say you REALLY "have it bad" for this "bad boy"(type), don't cha?!

Tell me somethin' here...Are there ANY "good boy" types that pluck even a single string in that heart o' yours???

(...sorry, but I just HAD to ask this here...and I certainly didn't mean to imply at all with this question that John Garfield wasn't a great actor, but ooooohhh-WEEEE are you infatuated here or WHAT?!)

Hi ginnyfan. Being a nurse and having worked on a cardiac floor, I know for a fact that people (espesically men, sorry) go into denial when confronted with serious issues e.g. chest pain, tightness of the chest etc. It could have been denial or maybe he was just "done" with all the mess and ready to go "home."

Lori

Huh Dargo2. I have always "gone" for the "bad boy" type. You should meet my husband, he is a real bad hombre!

There are plenty of people in the fan club I belong to that have been passionate fans of Garfield's for over 40 years, so believe it or not I am not alone.

What about the others on this site that are passionate about their favorite actor or actress?

Thanks for singling me out, makes me feel special.

You see Drago2, it's fun to be an infatuated psychotic.

Thanks for understanding.

Lori3,

This site came into existence so that classic film fans could talk about their favorite classic actor or actress. Your post was a sincere tribute to Mr. Garfield on the anniversary of his death. I admire your devotion. Part of him will always remain alive because of his films and TCM.

Now Lori, I NEVER meant to imply that you were an infatuated "psychotic"!

(...well, that IS unless of course, God forbid, IF that "bad boy husband" of yours ever goes REALLY "bad"on ya and starts beatin' on ya, and THEN later if you'd decide you would STAY with the jerk...and THEN, yep, sorry, THAT in my eyes would make you a slight bit "psychotic", I suppose...well, AT LEAST a woman who would have absolutely NO freakin' self-esteem anyway...trust me, while that MAY never happen to YOU, I've known of WAY too many women who HAVE been through that crap with some of my "bad boy" friends and co-workers)

And now back to the GREAT John Garfield here, folks. One of the best actors ever! And I MEAN that!

> {quote:title=MovieGal53 wrote:}{quote}Lori3,

>

> This site came into existence so that classic film fans could talk about their favorite classic actor or actress. Your post was a sincere tribute to Mr. Garfield on the anniversary of his death. I admire your devotion. Part of him will always remain alive because of his films and TCM.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

What she said...and, yes Lori like many men I try to avoid thinking about illness as well. I'd like to think I wouldn't do that knowing I had a condition, though.

Lori, I enjoy the sincerity of your posts regarding John Garfield. He was a sensitive, dynamic actor who received a very raw deal in life, and, unfortunately, most people today don't have a clue who he was. You have a desire to correct that in some small way, and I wish you luck.

Life isn't very fair sometimes but it's nice to see that Garfield's talent and life story has touched a chord within you as evidenced by your postings. You have a cause and you're showing a real passion for it.

I hope your efforts for signatures for that petition for a Garfield DVD boxed set is showing some positive results. I hope you don't mind if I provide a link to your original post for the petition for those Garfield fans reading this that might have missed it:

http://forums.tcm.com/thread.jspa?messageID=8635664

Thank you Drago2. No my husband has never "beat" on me nor will he ever. He knows if he did I would call his father who would "drop a dime" on him, and I would take the cat and leave, period. (Both our daughters are married and out of the house.)

My husband is a bad hombre in that he doesn't take sh_t from anyone, and he will defend his family friends and country with his life.

He knows of my Garfield "thing" and is OK with it. He doesn't understand it, but he is OK with it.

Sorry if I came off like a (you know what).

Oh, and I agree with your last sentence completely. (Shocking I know.)

Lori

TomJH have told you I love you! Thank you my friend, I appreciate all your support and understanding.

I don't mind one bit you posting the link to my petition for that long awaited box-set of John Garfield's films to appear.

My petition is kind of at a "stand still" right now, although I have had a few "big" names sign it, and people as far as Germany and England have added their names.

Oddly more men have signed than women. Well it might not be that odd since John Garfield was one of those rare stars who both women and men loved equally. (Men in a brotherly way.)

At the Hollywood Canteen during it's hey day, I read every night the soldiers would yell, "We want Johnny, we want Johnny." He would sweetly step up on the stage and tell a few jokes. The troops of WWII loved him.

People today are not aware of how much good he did, and how generous a man he was.

Lastly, according to my unofficial poll, The Breaking Point is the second most requested film that people want included in his box-set. It was second only to The Postman Always Rings Twice.

I voted for it and so did his daughter.

Thanks again Tom

Lori

{font:Verdana}Dargo2,

I owe you an apology. My response came quick and I should have known better then to assume the intent in your post. Please forgive my hastiness.{font}

*Lastly, according to my unofficial poll, The Breaking Point is the second most requested film that people want included in his box-set.*

Lori, I'm not surprised that Postman Always Rings Twice came in as number one. It is, I suspect, the film by which John Garfield may be best known today. I was pleasantly surprised, however, that Breaking Point came in as number two. I love this film, which is the reason I created a thread about it a few months ago because I hoped as many would see this neglected little Michael Curtiz masterpiece as possible. Force of Evil is a Garfield film that has found an audience for itself that it didn't have with its original release. I think that The Breaking Point deserves the same.

(By the way, don't let that "bad hombre" husband of your's know that you love someone on the messageboards. He might not quite understand).* ;)*

I first saw THE BREAKING POINT only last year. I'd probably vote for it as well.

In addition to a standout Garfield performance it also features Phyllis Thaxter, who is on my most underrated actresses list.

I wonder if all those people had shown up at the BOX OFFICE, would things have wound up differently?

Sepiatone

No apology required here, MovieGal. In fact, if an apology is in order here at all, it probably should come from me and be directed to Lori, as I probably shouldn't have even gone in that whole "bad boy" direction in her thread here....even though my intent was to offer that up in a half-joking manner.