Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I would like to see at least part of a day devoted to Eleanor Parker. She was a great actress, who was nominated for three best actress Oscar awards, but she's pretty much forgotten. She should be rediscovered. Maybe, she could be the Star of the Month. There has to be a lot of interesting info which could be shared about her. She co-starred with a number of well known actors such as Frank Sinatra, William Holden, Charlton Heston, Robert Taylor, Ronald Reagan and Glenn Ford. I would like to see Hole in the Head with Frank Sinatra directed by Frank Capra. It's sounds like it's a good family film, and I've never seen it. I'd like to see Caged also, the film she received her first best actress oscar nomination in.

I also like Eleanor Parker's work, especially her performances in "Pride of the Marines", "Caged", "Detective Story", and "Scaramouche". I think she may have been an actress who bloomed in response to a strong director such as William Wyler and John Cromwell, who directed two of the aforementioned films. Another interesting feature of her work was the

the flawed humanity that she brought to her role as the cockney harridan in the '40s remake of "Of Human Bondage". The grasping, manipulative and desperate portrait she enacted in that film made the psychological bond between her character and the neurotic medical student played by Paul Henried more understandable than in the earlier Leslie Howard-Bette Davis version.

BTW, in addition to her craftsmanship, she could be startlingly beautiful, and she was one of those actresses, like two other great cinematic beauties, Elizabeth Taylor and Loretta Young, who, imho, looked more striking without the usual Hollywood gilding of the lily. This quality was most noticable in the very powerful, decidedly unglamorous, "Caged".

I would like to see a day devoted to her best films on TCM. And if only Mr. Osborne could interview her on the network as well...

There's no doubt that Miss Parker has always been a favorite of mine especially for her performance in the prison drama "Caged". Her transformation from child-like innocence to hardened, bitter inmate was outstanding.

I believe she made an appearance last year when she was honored at a special event which means she is out and about.

The fine actress will turn 83 in June (perhaps a birthday salute is in order on TCM).

Mongo

Hi,

I think the Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts and Sciences should give her an Honourary Oscar next year. She is a three time nominee, I believe, and deserves one.

Also, I feel Doris Day and Richard Widmark certainly warrant one, too!!

What do you think?

Regards,

Larry

Parker was nominated for Oscars three times and I think no one is deserving more of an honorary Oscar than this actress. Unfortunately, I am not sure this will ever happen.

As Doug McClelland has said in his wonderful book ELEANORE PARKER: WOMAN OF A THOUSAND FACES, "I've often wondered why Parker did not then and does not now receive greater recognition. She never played Eleanor Parker but was always the character in the script. Audiences did not think of her but thought of the character. The other reason, is that she so thoroughly prepared for a role that she made her work look easy..."

I very much agree that Eleanor Parker should get more recognition then she deserves. I really enjoyed her performance in "One for the book" with Ronald Reagan, as well as her extreme character in "Man with the Golden Arm" with Frank Sinatra. "The Sound of Music" also comes to mind. She is deserving of an honorary oscar. She should definitely be star of the month!

Eleanor Parker was in a movie that I have not seen in years. It was made in 1969 and was called "Eye of the Cat". It co-starred Michael Sarrazin. It was a thriller set in San Francisco. Ms. Parker played his aunt who was an invalid. There is an incredible set piece where she is hurling uncontrollably in her wheelchair down a steep street. I believe it is a Univeral film. Does anyone remember it?

Reading through this post, I had trouble coming up with a face for Eleanor, so little I know of her. I went to ibdb site and noticed Lizzie in her list of films. I don?t remember that whole movie, but I do remember that scene early on when she mounts the stairs to her room just after making some alter-ego exclamation to her aunt (whaddyaknow, Joan Blondell!) that sent shivers up and down my spine, entering her room and then effecting this transformation of character in front of a mirror. I thought her acting there was extraordinary. It takes range and probably some little technique to play multiple-personality characters and I remember comparing her favorably to Joanne Woodward?s Three Faces of Eve, a movie that appeared roughly the same era. I like Joanne but she wasn?t convincing to me. Eleanor Parker was.