Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
edgeciff

FOX CINEMA CLASSICS

OCTOBER RELEASES:

•LIFE BEGINS IN COLLEGE (1937) - Ritz Brothers, Joan Davis

•TALL, DARK AND HANDSOME (1941) - Cesar Romero, Charlotte Greenwood, Milton Berle

MORE OCTOBER RELEASES

•THE MAGNIFICENT DOPE (1942) - Henry Fonda, Lynn Bari, Don Ameche

•ONE WILD NIGHT (1938) - June Lang, Lyle Talbot

MORE TITLES COMING:

JUST OFF BROADWAY (1942), the sixth of seven movies featuring Lloyd Nolan's detective, Michael Shayne

ON THE SUNNY SIDE UP (194) Roddy McDowall

NEW RELEASES MOD

KING OF BURLESQUE, Alice Faye, Warner Baxter

IT SHOULDN'T HAPPEN TO A DOG (1946) - Carole Landis, Allyn Joslyn

INTERNATIONAL SETTLEMENT (1938) - Dolores del Rio, George Sanders

Coming April 7th:

THE DAY MARS INVADED EARTH (1962)...Kent Taylor & Marie Windsor

HAND OF DEATH (1962)...John Agar & Paula Raymond

SQUAD CAR (1960)...Vici Raaf & Paul Bryar

•  

Coming April 7th:

THE DAY MARS INVADED EARTH (1962)...Kent Taylor & Marie Windsor

HAND OF DEATH (1962)...John Agar & Paula Raymond

SQUAD CAR (1960)...Vici Raaf & Paul Bryar

•  

What a bunch of schlock.  Did not even deem these three worthy of inclusion for new releases.  FOX can certainly do better than releasing these three less than grade 'B' films

What a bunch of schlock.  Did not even deem these three worthy of inclusion for new releases.  FOX can certainly do better than releasing these three less than grade 'B' films

I agree, they're certainly scraping the bottom of the barrel. I wouldn't mind it if they were releasing titles every week or every other week. But when there are long gaps and then these offerings turn up, it is somewhat disappointing. I know, I know-- some people probably love these movies.

I wish the studio would release more of the movies sitting in their vault from the late 1920s through the mid-1930s-- the ones made by Fox, before the merger with 20th Century Pictures. We know that a lot of those titles still exist, and people do want to see them.

I agree, they're certainly scraping the bottom of the barrel. I wouldn't mind it if they were releasing titles every week or every other week. But when there are long gaps and then these offerings turn up, it is somewhat disappointing. I know, I know-- some people probably love these movies.

I wish the studio would release more of the movies sitting in their vault from the late 1920s through the mid-1930s-- the ones made by Fox, before the merger with 20th Century Pictures. We know that a lot of those titles still exist, and people do want to see them.

I do think whoever is in charge of releasing these DVD-R's hasn't a clue about what to release.  Also, they have been very sloppy doing  pan and scan for wide screen films.  Ditto non-anamorphic releases.  In this day and age what  with wide screen TV this should not occur.  I do think  they could not care less about their library of classics unlike rivals at Paramount or WB. 

I do think whoever is in charge of releasing these DVD-R's hasn't a clue about what to release.  Also, they have been very sloppy doing  pan and scan for wide screen films.  Ditto non-anamorphic releases.  In this day and age what  with wide screen TV this should not occur.  I do think  they could not care less about their library of classics unlike rivals at Paramount or WB. 

I am not even going to presume to know what they're thinking, but it is definitely disappointing. I'm still waiting for the release of CENTENNIAL SUMMER, a robust Technicolor musical made in the 40s with Jeanne Crain, Cornel Wilde, Linda Darnell, Walter Brennan and Constance Bennett. With a cast like that, not to mention it was helmed by one of the cinema's great directors (Otto Preminger), why is it still not available? It was Fox's attempt at replicating the success of MGM's earlier hit MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS. Today's audiences would scoop it up in a heartbeat.

I am not even going to presume to know what they're thinking, but it is definitely disappointing. I'm still waiting for the release of CENTENNIAL SUMMER, a robust Technicolor musical made in the 40s with Jeanne Crain, Cornel Wilde, Linda Darnell, Walter Brennan and Constance Bennett. With a cast like that, not to mention it was helmed by one of the cinema's great directors (Otto Preminger), why is it still not available? It was Fox's attempt at replicating the success of MGM's earlier hit MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS. Today's audiences would scoop it up in a heartbeat.

That is a musical that seems missing in action.  Hope its not some legal rights.  Another missing one is MARGIE.  One hopes TWIGHT TIME will do a Blu Ray for CENTENNIAL SUMMER like the recently released STORMY WEATHER.  I am wondering what the print of CENTENNIAL looks like.  Much of FOX's Technicolor films on DVD-R look washed out such as THREE LITTLE GIRLS IN BLUE. 

That is a musical that seems missing in action.  Hope its not some legal rights.  Another missing one is MARGIE.  One hopes TWIGHT TIME will do a Blu Ray for CENTENNIAL SUMMER like the recently released STORMY WEATHER.  I am wondering what the print of CENTENNIAL looks like.  Much of FOX's Technicolor films on DVD-R look washed out such as THREE LITTLE GIRLS IN BLUE. 

The print recently shown (just days ago) on FXM Retro for THREE LITTLE GIRLS was very good. 

I bought a copy of CENTENNIAL SUMMER online a few years ago. I didn't realize it at the time, but it must have been a copy someone made from the old AMC, because the AMC logo turns up on the corner of the screen at periodic intervals. It was not a washed-out print, but the Technicolor is a little bit garish, especially for the daytime scenes. The night-time scenes look wonderful. 

I was hoping the Fox Cinema Archives group might release it so I could have a 'new' or perhaps better copy, because they do not seem to air it on FXM Retro.

at

The print recently shown (just days ago) on FXM Retro for THREE LITTLE GIRLS was very good.

I bought a copy of CENTENNIAL SUMMER online a few years ago. I didn't realize it at the time, but it must have been a copy someone made from the old AMC, because the AMC logo turns up on the corner of the screen at periodic intervals. It was not a washed-out print, but the Technicolor is a little bit garish, especially for the daytime scenes. The night-time scenes look wonderful. 

I was hoping the Fox Cinema Archives group might release it so I could have a 'new' or perhaps better copy, because they do not seem to air it on FXM Retro.

The print FOX released on DVD-R of THREE LITTLE GIRLS is atrocious, very soft images. Many prints released such as THAT LADY IN ERMINE are quite dark. CENTENNIAL SUMMER is somewhat of an obscure musical and I wonder if that is why it has not been released.  Or again as I said before, maybe legal rights have not been cleared.  It could be many things. I am grateful that FOX has released maybe the whole Alice Faye catalogue of films.  Grable still has a few to go.   

The print FOX released on DVD-R of THREE LITTLE GIRLS is atrocious, very soft images. Many prints released such as THAT LADY IN ERMINE are quite dark. CENTENNIAL SUMMER is somewhat of an obscure musical and I wonder if that is why it has not been released.  Or again as I said before, maybe legal rights have not been cleared.  It could be many things. I am grateful that FOX has released maybe the whole Alice Faye catalogue of films.  Grable still has a few to go.   

Yes, someone is a big Alice Faye fan (and I can't say I'm unhappy about it because I love her too).

Hopefully we will see some more of these classic studio era films released by Fox. And I do not mean the low-budget entries from the 1960s. 

Which Betty Grable films are still not out on DVD...? Probably BILLY ROSE'S DIAMOND HORSESHOE, right? It is her most obscure picture...it never turns up anywhere, not even on TCM.

Yes, someone is a big Alice Faye fan (and I can't say I'm unhappy about it because I love her too).

Hopefully we will see some more of these classic studio era films released by Fox. And I do not mean the low-budget entries from the 1960s. 

Which Betty Grable films are still not out on DVD...? Probably BILLY ROSE'S DIAMOND HORSESHOE, right? It is her most obscure picture...it never turns up anywhere, not even on TCM.

Didn't AMC play DIAMOND HORSESHOE years ago?  I wonder if this is another legal rights issue.  I have come to love Alice Faye.  Met her in the early 1990s when I was collecting autographs. Would love to see BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE in letterbox.  But this is another pan and scan.  At least APRIL LOVE is being released by Twilight Time but their prices tend to be on the high side. 

Didn't AMC play DIAMOND HORSESHOE years ago?  I wonder if this is another legal rights issue.  

I don't recall it airing on AMC, though it is possible. Something has happened to it, preventing it from becoming available on home video.

I don't recall it airing on AMC, though it is possible. Something has happened to it, preventing it from becoming available on home video.

It might be further back that I saw the Grable film. 

It might be further back that I saw the Grable film. 

Well, you may be right. I think AMC did show a lot of those films in the 80s and early 90s. But then they just disappeared...

I just ordered King of Burlesque from Fox Classics, a musical that I've never seen, but has an impressive cast (Warner Baxter, Alice Faye, Jack Oakie).

Speaking of the lovely Miss Faye . . .

931b24f4-783e-47d9-aff3-69b316df8d35_zps

Years ago I came across this autographed photo of her in a small (very small) movie memorabilia store. I got it dirt cheap (something like $20, I believe) because the owner of the store didn't specialize in autographs and was ready to almost give it away. If it had been an autograph dealer, I doubt that I would have been able to afford it.

You really can't envision stumbling across a find such as that. Just dumb luck for me that day. It doesn't quite compete with meeting the lady, such as EdgeCliffe did, I know, but I'll settle for it.

I just ordered King of Burlesque from Fox Classics, a musical that I've never seen, but has an impressive cast (Warner Baxter, Alice Faye, Jack Oakie).

Speaking of the lovely Miss Faye . . .

931b24f4-783e-47d9-aff3-69b316df8d35_zps

Years ago I came across this autographed photo of her in a small (very small) movie memorabilia store. I got it dirt cheap (something like $20, I believe) because the owner of the store didn't specialize in autographs and was ready to almost give it away. If it had been an autograph dealer, I doubt that I would have been able to afford it.

You really can't envision stumbling across a find such as that. Just dumb luck for me that day. It doesn't quite compete with meeting the lady, such as EdgeCliffe did, I know, but I'll settle for it.

KING OF BURLESQUE is a.good.musical, and featured Alice Faye's last.role.as.a.Harlowesque brassy bleached blonde, before new boss Zanuck decided to soften.and tone.down her look.and screen personality. Ironically, Faye would star.in a partial remake, HELLO FRISCO HELLO (1943), which was such a huge hit that the studio reworked elements of it into NOB HILL a couple of years later, starring one of 20th's ersatz Faye wannabes, Vivian Blaine.

KONG.OF BURLESQUE is a.good.musical, and might've.featured Alice Faye's last.role.as.a.Harlowesque brassy bleached blonde, before new boss Zanuck decided to soften.and tone.down her look.and screen personality. Ironically, Faye would star.in a partial remake, HELLO FRISCO HELLO (1943), which was such a huge hit that the studio reworked elements of it into NOB HILL a couple of years later, starring one of 20th's ersatz Faye wannabes, Vivian Blaine.

Well, Arturo, I certainly hope that King of Burlesque turns out to be as good as Kong of Burlesque.

Soryy, just joking. I make enough typos myself. (In fact, check out my second last sentence. I didn't do it intentionally either).

Thanks for the news that this musical is from Faye's Harlow period before they softened her looks and image. It's the latter Faye that I assume most fans love, but it will be good to see her when she had her earlier, more hardboiled appearance. I'm not certain that I've seen any of those pre-On the Avenue films that she made. And Jack Oakie as comic relief never hurt a film, as far as I'm concerned.

It's the latter Faye that I assume most fans love, but it will be good to see her when she had her earlier, more hardboiled appearance. 

I know she was from a rough background (Hell's Kitchen, and she didn't go past the 8th grade in school).