Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

Young Philadelphians from A Summer Place

While watching this old soaper last night for the umpteenth time, I noticed that during the part where Troy Donahue leaves his college class and walks into a lobby, it was the SAME lobby I saw Paul Newman walk through in *The Young Philadelphians* . But I believe they went to different colleges, didn't they?

Now I'm on the lookout for "shared sets" in other movies.

Sepiatone

I have one for you. The opening scene of The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, and Mr. Sardonicus, the William Castle film are the same. It is a busy street in London in which a woman is sweeping her front steps, people are sampling wares from a corner vendor, and a gentleman rides by on a horse.............

Edited by: Geminigirl on Jun 15, 2012 10:59 AM

I think the young phillies is a much better movie. I don't like A summer place. Too much drama. The only thing like about it is the theme song.

i thought the mother was a big fat evil b - - -h. i felt sorry for the daughter.

Edited by: TCMfan23 on Jun 15, 2012 4:49 PM

James Garner said that there were times when all the WB westerns would be shooting in different directions on the same street. That's how he and Jack Kelly became friends even though they weren't in that many episodes together.

I think someone mentioned it here before, but the living room of Molly Bee's home in GOING STEADY (1958) was the Anderson's from Father Knows Best. And I'm pretty sure I read that the Cleaver home exterior was also Dr.Welby's.

A SUMMER PLACE was a real eye opener for a 12 year old boy in 1970. But I admit that even its memory seems boring now.

Edited by: ginnyfan on Jun 15, 2012 5:19 PM

Ginnyfan wrote:

James Garner said that there were times when all the WB westerns would be shooting in different directions on the same street. That's how he and Jack Kelly became friends even though they weren't in that many episodes together.

So you read the book too. I found it just as interesting as his interviews. My only complaint was it wasn't long enough.

When I did the WB tour that was one set I didn't see. In the feature films it looks to be an outdoor one but on the TV series I'm not sure. There was always a shot of both streets and that octagon-shaped island in between which looked like the same set but I wondered if they had an similar indoor one for TV as the pace was so much faster for them. My fantasy is if I ever make it to another festival and the set's still there is to see it myself. Imagine walking in the footsteps of Scott, Cooper, Garner, Walker and the rest.

I guess there are cheap men in all areas of life. God knows I've had my share.............

Edited by: Geminigirl on Jun 16, 2012 12:13 AM

The stairway in Notorious is used in other films as well, but I can't place them right now..

Which is why if you are ever in Hollywood, to take the tour that includes back lots of Warner's and Paramount, and check out Malibu Creek State Park.

Hopefully, you will get a well-versed guide..

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}Constance Ford. I loved her! :D

Drunks, jealous wives, overly possessive mothers, Constance Ford played them all. Mostly on television, though.

She was in two of these melodramas in successive years. She was also in HOME FROM THE HILL.

I only watched DAYS in high school and the ABC soaps in college (hey, a lot of guys in the dorms did in 1977BC), so I didn't.

She did a lot of WB shows and Perry Masons, though. She even played a split personality on Perry once!

I remember Connie from a different soap, Another World. My mother was a

straight through NBC watcher. I recall that Connie's most common way to

solve problems was to invite the solvee into the kitchen for a cup of coffee

and maybe a cookie or two.

I think the second Leave It to Beaver house was used in some movies. It was

in The Desperate Hours and probably a few more.

No one could top her in those kind or roles. I didnt know she was on soaps too. I remember her in a small part as Joan Crawford's flunky in The Caretakers. Did she ever make prison movies? LOL........and of course she was in the recent Claudelle English sparkling as Diane McBain's bitchy mom..........

Edited by: Hibi on Jun 20, 2012 9:40 AM

Yes, that house got quite a workout in films/tv shows. I remember seeing it often. I would love to see that Perry Mason episode (Constance gets to play a good girl? Or were both personalities bad? LOL) It's on MeTv. Maybe it will pop up one night!

On that Perry, she's a mousey woman who turns into a wild, hard drinkin' party girl at night. Hallmark Movie Channel showed it recently.

LOL! Hope I come across it one of these evenings.............

I'm sure that house was in lots of TV shows and movies. The outside had a very

distinctive look. When I saw Constance Ford on Another World I had no idea she

had had a long movie career. I found out about that much later. She did have a

specialty on playing those mean snappish kind of parts.

> {quote:title=TCMfan23 wrote:}{quote}...

>

> i thought the mother was a big fat evil b - - -h. i felt sorry for the daughter.

>

Now, now. I just looked up a picture of Constance Ford in *A Summer Place* and she is not fat at all. In fact, she is rather slim.

She was what I'd call buxom........does anyone still use that term? (LOL).

What are the odds???????? That very episode with Connie on Perry Mason was shown last night on MeTV!!! I couldnt believe it. I turned to the show (just by accident as I noticed it was on) and there she was! I could tell from the title it had to be the same one (dunno if she did more than one show) so I immediately started recording it (as I couldnt stay up that late) Can you imagine the odds of that happening????? That show must've been on 10 years and back then probably shot close to 40 episodes a season. Cant wait to watch it!

It is surprising how often that happens. I hope you enjoy it. Also, please let me know how hacked up the episode appears to be. HMC is really cutting them down.