Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Godzilla is a bore

I find those Japanese films boring. A bunch of them are on TCM tonight. The English translation is always bad. Poor editing.

Godzilla ! king of the monsters ! (whatever)

for me , it will always be Frankenstein , Dracula , The Mummy and the Werewolf.

I don't feel the same for other foreign films. 8 1/2 and Nights of Cabiria are my favorites. I like Fellini's films.

TCMfan23 wrote: I don't feel the same for other foreign films. 8 1/2 and Nights of Cabiria are my favorites. I like Fellini's films.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Oh! Well in THAT case TCMFan, maybe ya ought'a give Vittorio De Sica's epic, "Mothra: The Flying Radioactive Bicycle Snatcher", a try!

(...could change your mind about all this if ya did, ya know!) ;)

I find those Japanese films boring. A bunch of them are on TCM tonight. The English translation is always bad. Poor editing.

How do you know that the translation is bad - do you speak Japanese?

Don't get him started, clore. I hope you realize that this COULD all lead to some fear or distain he might have about how Raymond Burr always seemed to deliver his lines with that heavy breathing style of his!

(...in OR out of a wheelchair!!!)

>How do you know that the translation is bad - do you speak Japanese?

In most of the films, the timing of the lip movements did not match the timing of the spoken words.

For example, an actor's lips might move for three seconds, while on the sound track we hear, "Take the squadron of Jet fighter planes and move them to Ikito Island, where you will attack and kill the monster before he is able to reach Tokyo and destroy the Tokyo Tower. After that, return to your base and report your success."

In other cases, the lips would move for 30 seconds, but all we would hear on the sound track was something like, "You go now!"

Yep, you're so right, Fred.

In fact, anybody old enough to have watched Japanese Anime all the way from "Astro Boy" to its present offerings could tell ya THAT, huh?! ;)

(...of course then again, that could all just be the result of the practice of "limited animation" those folks do over there, huh?!)

In most of the films, the timing of the lip movements did not match the timing of the spoken words.

Oh Fred, my sarcasm failed. That's the fault of the dubbing, not the translation. Which isn't a problem with GOJIRA anyway since it has subtitles.

Even so, the dubbing has always been part of the charm of these things as well as the peplum sagas from Italy. Yes, I prefer my foreign films to be subtitled, but with the Japanese monster films, and the Italian strong man epics, reading captions would make them a lot less fun.

Well clore, in THAT case, I guess you TOO have never watched De Sica's ""Mothra: The Flying Radioactive Bicycle Snatcher", huh?!

(...I'm tellin' ya, the DUBBED version of THAT one is FAR more fun...especially when Anna Magnani looks up from the ruins of the Roman Forum and exclaims, "Look! It's Mothra, and BOY is HE ever p*ssed!")

I have seen De Sica's TWO WOMEN AND A MOTH which has yet to appear on DVD. Similar rights issue as when Leone made YOJIMBO as A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS. The foreign rights are still in legal limbo and most of the world has yet to see Loren and Magnani as the singing duo who get kidnapped by the Mafia, causing Motha (slight name change there to pay homage to Chico Marx) to flap his wings and take on the Black Hand.

I am watching "Gojira" and I thought this suppose to be the uncut *original* Japanese version. I see something a little off, first some of the printed material i.e. the calandar that says "TSK Lines" and the map are in *English*. The subtitles still refer to the monster as "Godzilla". Out of respect to the original title, shouldn't it say "Gojira"?

Yes, good point about the spaghetti westerns. Seeing those pieces of THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY before they looped them for the restoration was most disconcerting.

Then again, it's a bit weird hearing the nearly four-decades-older Eastwood and Wallach is a mite disturbing also. The fake Van Cleef actually sounds more like what I'm used to than do the other two.

Nice to see the original RODAN but I'm going to miss the narration at the end, including "I wondered if I, a twentieth century man, could hope to die as well."

>I see something a little off, first some of the printed material i.e. the calandar that says "TSK Lines" and the map are in English.

The US occupied Japan and governed it from just after the war in 1945 until April 1952, so those maps were probably all they had when this was filmed in 1953-54.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occupation_of_Japan

This was really an awful movie.

I am now watching "Rodan" and this movie is starting to bug me in more ways than one. At the very beginning, the phrase in the subtitles was used *global warming.* Now c'mon, did they intentionally mistranslated that for this movie?!? "Rodan" was released in 1956 LONG before this recent global warming terminology came to be. I'm still looking to see if an 8 year old Al Gore is somewhere in this film. :^0

So since the message in "Gojira" is to ban nuclear testing, is the one if "Rodan" to ban coal mining?? :P

Edited by: hamradio on Jun 15, 2012 10:25 PM

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}

> In other cases, the lips would move for 30 seconds, but all we would hear on the sound track was something like, "You go now!"

*Hawkins:* (Her fingers to his lips) child, have you seen a group in the forest?

*Jean:* (Signs in deaf language for a while)

*Hawkins:* Eh she says no.

*Guard Captain:* What took her so long?

*Hawkins:* Stutters.

> I am now watching "Rodan" and this movie is starting to bug me in more ways than one. At the very beginning, the phrase in the subtitles was used global warming.

I wasn't watching; I haven't seen the film before; and I don't speak Japanese. Is it possible that the Japanese character used something that in fact roughly meant that the world was getting hotter?

After all, I believe that's part of the plot of *Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea* (the earth is heating up because the Van Allen Belts are out of whack, and the submarine has to fire a nuclear weapon from the bottom or the Arctic or something wonky like that to set things right. It's been a while since I've seen the film.)

I'm watching toy tanks shooting at a man in a Rodan costume, the production values are non existant, and you know what; it's a lot of fun. Taking these movies seriously in any way does not do them justice. Where else could you have a scene (in Ghidorah), where the two fairies admonish Godzilla for using bad language while talking to Rodan and Mothra, in monster talk. I saw these films as a kid when they came out. They were fun then and they're fun now.

Ham: Since the 1945-52 Occupation, English has been freely mixed in with Japanese in commercial usage. Look up some Japanese commericals on YouTube, and you will see what I mean. The Japanese pro baseball leagues using English on their uniforms is another good example. Actually just about every product in Japan uses English on its packaging in some ways.

My brother in law has traveled over there a few times for work (he is a cartoonist/caricaturist), and even knowing just a small smattering of Japanese symbols, found it fairly easy to get around there.

hamradio wrote: Looks like the tables has turned on us. Spanish has now freely mixed with English.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WAIT!!! I can see it all now!

"Quetzalcoatl", the story of a humongous winged serpent, hooked on drugs and forced to do the bidding of a nefarious cartel from south of the border...co-starring half a dozen of those hot Latin babes featured in those Univision novelas, whose voices will be dubbed over for the U.S. market by Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Aniston and Sara Jessica Parker...no, scratch that Parker women, I can't stand her voice...lets use Kate Beckinsale instead...yeah, I know she has a british accent...so what?!

(...yep, I see big box office numbers here, alright!)