Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies Your Father Liked

That's right, folks, tomorrow's Father's Day. In the States, too, right?

A couple of years ago, when I first "started" here, I began a thread around Mother's Day about movies people remember their mother loving, maybe a film that they liked because their Mum did.

Actually, I think it may have been my very first thread here.

So now it's time for Dad. A lot of us were influenced by things our parents loved, be it books, music, a sport, cars, food - on and on - or movies. So here's the place to post what you remember your Dad liking, movie-wise, and whether you like it too, or whether maybe he liked it so much that it put you off the thing for 20 years !

My Dad died five years ago, and I"ll always appreciate the legacy of the movies and music he loved, which he passed on to me.

For starters, one of his favourite films was *High Noon*. I remember everytime he saw it the night before on tv, he'd be singing that song from it the next morning.

My dad was a big WWII buff and so he especially loved all the old war movies. When Battleground or Bataan or The Best Years of Our Lives or Bridge Over the River Kwai were on tv, none of the rest of the family could even think about changing the channel. He was especially happy when videotapes came out, so he could tape them all. He also liked John Wayne.

On a more gentle note, he had a big crush on Gene Tierney. My mom didn't mind... :)

His love didn't convince me that war movies were great (I always found them boring), but when these titles come up for me, they make me smile in thoughts of him. He died in 1993 at a still-young 65.

Genie, my thoughts exactly. My dad loved war films. He also loved James Cagney gangster films. He had a big crush on Lana Turner. My beloved dad passed away in 2006. Watching many of these films always reminds me of sitting in the living room with my dad. Your post was very sweet. :)

Great idea for a thread here, MissW.

My Pop, who died in 2003 at age 83, especially liked "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

I think what caught his fancy was the whole allegorical scientific reference to Jesus Christ which Michael Rennie's character Klaatu represented in this film.

I also think this film, along with his reading of the late 1960's Erich Von Daniken best selling book, "Chariots of the Gods?" were the catalyst for his "conversion" later in life to the "philosophy" that flying saucers and UFOs do exist, and that humans were actually placed upon this planet eons ago by some advanced civilization out there somewhere in space.

(...ya see, NOW you're startin' to see why I'M kinda "way out there" MYSELF a lot of the time around here, ain't ya?) ;) LOL

Pop, though otherwise actually very lucid towards the end of his life, would occasionally call me on the phone to tell me some new UFO/alien "documentary" was about to be shown on TV and that I should watch it. And, even though I'd try my best to dissuade him from his "philosophy" by telling him that there really isn't any proof at all that 'we've been visited", it was no use at all. He was a "Believer" until the day he died.

He really was a great guy...a little "out there" sometimes as you can see, but a great guy nonetheless!)

Nice idea for a thread.

I remember my Dad talking about The House of Rothschild as one of his favorite films. I didn't get to see it until a few years ago because of its scarcity, but I am glad I did.

When I was young, my Dad and I used to watch TV a lot together. Something I particularly remember we saw was a festival on TV devoted to Alexander Korda. (This was when I was living in Canada and, of course, as part of the UK we would get to see a lot of English movies on the CBC channel.) So, tomorrow, I am going to watch The Four Feathers in his memory.

Thanks for this thread, Misswonderly ....

My Dad passed away in September 1999 and whenever I 'channel surf' and run across a WWII movie or Gangster Movies, I have to pause and can just hear my Father preparing to watch one of his Favorites, getting his beer and bag of peanuts & pretzels ready . . . he was in his element then.

I think I preferred him watching Gangster Movies than War movies, where I would notice that he would become highly 'critical' of any of the soldiers in the movies the way they stood or addressed an officer . . . and then he'd go off on a 'mild' tangent how they (soldiers) wouldn't have gotten away with such 'slackness and insubordination' under his command ... "When I give an Order, You Follow it ... You got that soldier!" .... he'd would often say, pointing his index finger, to no one in particular.

But I have to say that any Gangster movies, especially about Al Capone or Legs Diamond or any other famous gangsters, especially taking place in Chicago, he was really into it.

One other movie I remember him liking very much was with Susan Hayward in 'I Want to Live' . . . I remember his being so engrossed into that movie.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY, DAD

I LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU VERY MUCH !

Well, seein' as how you've brought that up here, finance...I'm pretty sure the best greeting cards I've ever received had one of Gary Larson's "The Far Side" comics on the front of 'em!

(...okay, and now back to our fathers...say finance, what's the story on YOUR Pop here, anyway...I know I'd like to hear about him...that could "explain" YOU a bit TOO, ya know) ;)

LOL

My father was not a film buff. I cannot offhand think of a single movie he liked. I know that he liked the Frank Merriwell series of books when he was young. .....I just remembered, he liked war movies....KINGS GO FORTH, NEVER SO FEW, THE GUNS OF NAVARONE, etc.

Edited by: finance on Jun 16, 2012 12:04 PM

He liked "The Guns of Navarone", huh?!

Then I'm guessin' he didn't ever fall asleep like Rob Petrie did when he watched it, right?

(...ya gotta be a real Dick Van Dyke Show fan to get this one)

My Dad (who is still alive at 91) enjoyed Buck Privates when it was first released. My mother tells me that he was laughing so hard, he literally fell out of his seat. He got me interested in Abbott & Costello, the Marx Brothers, and Laurel & Hardy (his personal favorite comedy team). Later in life, they went to see Return of the Pink Panther and he got hooked on Inspector Clouseau. However, I wished they had asked me for some guidance on some other films they went to see. For some reason, they decided to see Slaughterhouse Five, and walked out of the theater. Another time, they went to see The Boys From Brazil (which they did like), but my father mistakenly thought it was going to be a musical.

Now he spends most of his time watching reruns of "Everybody Loves Raymond," so he can swear at Peter Boyle.

"Another time, they went to see The Boys From Brazil (which they did like), but my father mistakenly thought it was going to be a musical."

LOL!!!

Well, in your father's defense, they WERE gonna make it one, ya know...until they found out that Greg Peck couldn't carry a tune in a bucket! ;)

My dad passed away a few years back, but he always loved THE GLENN MILLER STORY (a note for full disclosure: his name was Glenn Miller!) and THE BENNY GOODMAN STORY.. even though he admitted he didn't know anyone personally named Benny Goodman.

h6. My dad had sense of humor not unlike Dargo2's

Edited by: casablancalover on Jun 16, 2012 6:28 PM

He is also a big fan of Eddie Cantor. Which brings to mind an odd incident. When my parents were vacationing in the 1940s, they stopped at a resort, and asked the proprietor (who apparently was hard of hearing), "Any cabins?" The guy replied "Huh? Eddie Cantor?"

Great thread topic.

When I post my daily double on Facebook, the ones that my dad clicks 'like' on are usually westerns. He especially enjoys Tim Holt westerns, and anything about the James brothers.

My father loved movies. He especially liked westerns. He got hooked on them as a kid in the 1920's taking his little sister to the latest Tom Mix and reading the title cards to her.

I got my start as a film buff from him. We'd always be watching movies on TV and on the weekend he'd to take me to one (or sometimes two) of the local theaters. We'd see all kinds of movies, but if there was a new John Wayne film in town, I didn't even have to ask where we were going.

Dad spent most of WWII based in England and would spend his free time at the cinemas. He got to know British films and stars quite well. In the early days of TV, when the big studios wanted nothing to do with it, many stations filled their schedules with packages of old British films. Dad watched them all and usually I did too. I always joke that thanks to him I was the only kid in second grade who knew who Will Hay or Ralph Richardson was. No question about it, my Dad's influence led to me becoming a film buff, having a passion for British films and a career that always involved film in one way or another.

If he were still with us today, I could see him in front of a big screen TV with the "Ultimate John Wayne Collection" stacked next to the DVD player.

Thanks Dad. Happy Father's Day!

Interesting that you mention British films here, Mark ( and I believe filmlover did, too.) A lot of the British movies I like, especially the Ealing comedies, come from my parents, particularly my dad, fondly describing them to me. ( Once I wrote an essay on Ealing Studios for a film course ).

I don't believe either of these are Ealing films but they're both British comedies, and both released in the early 50s, a golden time, I believe, for British film.

*Laughter in Paradise* ( 1951?) starring the inimitable Alistair Sim and

*The Captain's Paradise* (1953?) starring the equally great Alec Guinness

My dad loved both these films, and would sometimes talk about them. He had a habit of describing - in more detail than I actually wanted to hear - the plots of movies he'd seen and liked the night before( on television). I guess those two British comedies were aired now and then in Canada back then; now, the rare times they're screened on TCM I cannot view them because of "rights" issues b.s. It's frustrating. But I digress...

Anyway, my father would get a smile on his face, just describing or thinking about those two films. 1950s British comedies are unique, there's nothing like them. Interesting that, although, I gather, they're very different from each other, both have the word "Paradise" in the title. Presumeably/hopefully my dad's enjoying some laughter in paradise himself these days.

So, I've still never seen either *Laughter in Paradise* or *The Captain's Paradise*, both made legendary to me because of my father's fondness for them.

"My dad had sense of humor not unlike Dargo2's."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, you poor thing! BUT, the GOOD thing is that you STILL have seemed to turn out okay DESPITE all that!!!

;)

Btw, I just remembered...my Pop also loved Tarzan flicks for some reason, too. Personally, I couldn't understand that one either. They're okay I guess, but I never got into 'em much.

Though, I have to admit he DID do a pretty mean Tarzan yell. Swear to God(or maybe to those advanced aliens out there somewhere) the thing sounded JUST like the one Johnny Weissmuller did!

(...though word is that Weissmuller's was actually an audio amalgamation of two or three different voices)

My dad died when I was seven years old, so didn't have much opportunity to observe the type of movies he liked. I do know that he LOVED "DAMN YANKEES' . . . because he was a baseball nut, and had played in a minor league team in Mexico; or maybe he just liked Gwen Verdon. Everytime DAMN YANKEES would show on The Million Dollar Movie (or whichever program would show the same movie every night for a week), we would see it every night ( I used to be afraid of the "devil" RAy Walston). Both my oldest brother and I own that movie because of this exposure to it. We also used to see nightly LAND THAT TIME FORGOT or a similar title, about dinosaurs, but that might;ve been for the benefit of us kids.

He used to jealous of my mom's idol, Mexican singer/actor Pedro Infante, and belittle his manhood.

Edited by: Arturo on Jun 16, 2012 1:52 PM

Anything with John Wayne. Most war films and westerns, good or bad. Most Hitchcock.

Now the oddities...THE JOLSON STORY. Dad was a huge Jolson fan and had most of the records. I doubt he ever gave one thought to the political correctness of the blackface era, he just liked the singing.

KILL THE UMPIRE. That odd little film where bleacher bum William Bendix is "sentenced" to umpiring school.

PRIDE OF ST. LOUIS. Dan Dailey as a highly fictionalized Dizzy Dean.

IT HAPPENS EVERY SPRING. Professor Ray Milland becomes Kelly, king of the pitchers after an experiment goes awry.

I lost my dad Father's Day weekend of 2000. Tomorrow will be exactly 12 years. Thank you for this thread.

My dad loved James Cagney. They were both born in 1899 and in the same place, Hells Kitchen in New York's lower east side. Anything thing with Jimmy or Edward G. or George Raft, boys from the old neighborhood . He was about the same height as Cagney. He like Westerns and Crime dramas. I know I got my love of movies from him. So although he passed away in 1966, I still think of him when I watch Cagney or any N.Y. tough guy..Here's looking at you Pop.....

Hey, fredb., argueably the most famous James Cagney movie of all was one of my Dad's favourites: *White Heat*. My Dad loved this movie, and got a kick out of telling anyone who'd listen the scene when Cody asks the unfortunate guy in the trunk if he's doing all right. Unfortunate guy answers, "It's a little stuffy in here", and Cody obligingly provides him with more air by shooting the trunk full of bullets. "That better?" he asks, but answer came there none.

My Dad thought this scene was similtaneously horrible and hilarious, and liked to recount it, as I said. Also, of course - hey who doesn't like to do this?- "Made it Ma ! Top of the World !!"

My father loves any and all Laurel and Hardy movies, period.

My father in-law's favorite movie is Rio Bravo.

My husband loves any and all of the WWII movies made during WWII.

I love them all so Happy Father's Day to, My daddy, Cecil, and my wonderful and understanding husband David.

Thanks

Lori3