Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Talk about Un-American!

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Well, TO BE OR NOT TO BE and THE GREAT DICTATOR were also acclaimed comedies.

I showed THE GREAT DICTATOR at a dorm film festival I tried to start at Towson in 1979, and several Jewish students didn't get it and complained.

On the Hogan's Heroes issue, my uncle was captured at the Battle of the Bulge. At that point the Reich was in such disarray that the weren't even feeding most of their prisoners anymore. He came home weighing 80 pounds.

My mom hated Hogan's Heroes.

Edited by: ginnyfan on Jun 21, 2012 9:21 PM

Ironically Since the death of Richard Dawson a couple of weeks ago Robert Clary is the one member of the show left alive, (except maybe the guy who replaced Ivan Dixon.)

I've been hearing debate over this show for years. It's not going to stop.

They just thought it was offensive to them. I tried to explain that Chaplin was trying to make people see that Hitler was both scary and ridiculous, but it just made them uncomfortable.

To their credit, they didn't go to housing and make me stop. They just didn't attend.

I also showed a really racist Jolson movie I mentioned earlier in the thread, HALLELUJAH, I'M A BUM.* With the ignorance of a 21 year old, I didn't prescreen it and never thought the Baltimore County Library would even have such a film in its 16mm collection. I was pretty embarassed, but the African American students who attended, probably only two or three based on the dorm's racial makeup, didn't get upset. They made as much fun of Al's sidekick named Acorn as the other students did.

I learned a hard lesson, though.

*-Oops, actually it was in the racism thread. I got them confused now that the racism thread has become a West Virginia travelogue. ;)

Edited by: ginnyfan on Jun 21, 2012 11:15 PM

I like to add this tidbit about Hitler on film. You might know about the historical documentation about how the average American felt about Hitler before September 1939, in that he's a great leader, a peace maker, charming, etc. Well this is the normal reaction I would expect from the ignorant, mislead nation and the world.

Well I got a docudrama made by Disney "The Shirley Temple Story". They tried their best to kept it as accurate as possible and a scene in it, too accurate. During one scene, there are people in a theatre watching a Movietone Newsreel showing one of Adolph Hitler's speeches. The women - the expression on their faces. You think they were looking at Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Rock Hudson or someone along those lines.

Now *that is scary! :0*

hamradio wrote: "During one scene, there are people in a theatre watching a Movietone Newsreel showing one of Adolph Hitler's speeches. The women - the expression on their faces. You think they were looking at Clark Gable, Cary Grant, Rock Hudson or someone along those lines.

Now that is scary! "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eeh! It's like I always say, Ham..."Give the unwashed masses BOMBAST, and they'll fall for it every time!" Nope, ya CAN'T be boring, dude, NO MATTER what your message is!

(...I mean, why do ya think I use this freakin' uppercase crap all the time, HUH?!) ;)

ROFL

>Now that is scary!

The same types of scenes are in the classic documentary TRIUMPH OF THE WILL, shown by TCM 1 time, about 12 years ago. Women especially grin and smile at Hitler when he arrives for a parade, and they point him out to their little children. That was in 1934, and it continued on for many years. Very frightening. We now know what was in that dark mind of his, but those women in 1934 did not. But there is no way for us now to warn them then.

*"You might know about the historical documentation about how the average American felt about Hitler before September 1939, in that he's a great leader, a peace maker, charming, etc."* - hamradio

You might enjoy this piece from the PBS Newshour which ran last night (Wednesday) about a new book about Americans living in Berlin during the 20s and 30s who witnessed first hand the rise of Hitler and the Nazi Parrty. The book is titled "Hitlerland" and is written by Newsweek correspondent Adam Nagorski.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/europe/jan-june12/hitlerland_06-20.html

Hitler's rise was witnessed not only by the German people, but by some 150 American diplomats and correspondents who had the job of informing their own government and the American public about what was developing.

Other prominent Americans passed through Berlin or stayed for a time, author Sinclair Lewis, aviator Charles Lindbergh, a young John F. Kennedy, and singer Josephine Baker, to name a few.

At the link above you can watch the video segment or read a transcript of the report.

Kyle In Hollywood

I cannot believe that I am even saying this but as much as I hate Tim Burton Uh..I just came back from the movie theatre where I saw that "Lincoln" vampire film (my brother was depressed and he wanted to see THAT)...omg...I have never seen such a thing as awful, I studied politics so I was throughout trying to get some correlation with something, but it was just insulting to humanity..I have no idea what that was or why anyone would ever make something like that..I don't know if there was a book or a previous film that they copied but wow an awful experience.

Yes Dargo2 I was kidding. But it does have me wondering. I enjoy comedic material, whether it's actually funny or just perceived to be funny. I read about all these groups that become upset (or at least pretent to be upset, to obtain the upper hand). I think to myself, are these people serious? Getting upset over such insignificant issues. People need to develop a thicker skin and learn to roll with the punches. The point I was trying to make though, I never hear of any of these "hate" groups crying about the way they are portrayed and I think it would be really humorous to hear complaints as to why they shouldn't be portrayed in the negative fashion that they are. I mean, can you imagine someone trying to convince you that you shouldn't "hate" them just because they "hate" and want to kill/eliminate everyone that is different and/or disagrees with what they believe? That to me, would be funny.

By the way, Sprocket_Man thanks for the correction on the Robert Clary thing.

Tim Burton has always had a dark side to story telling. Look what he did to Christmas in "The Nightmare Before Christmas". Funny that in real life xmas lights has been remade into Halloween.

In "Batman", the 1989 version, he got criticised for the sadistic way he did the Joker charactor. Ceasar Ramero who played the Joker in the TV series HATED that movie.

Tim could had been inspired by artwork done at the time of the assassination by which one showed John Wilkes Booth with fangs.

The documentary "Stealing Lincolns Body" was morbid in many respects. Is it far fetch for the vampire hunting idea? He did missed a golden opportunity to cast Nicolas Cage in the film. :^0

Several stories on the internet.

gty_nicolas_cage_vampire_nt_110919_wblog

So people, don't be surprised if Tim Burton makes a WWI vampire or ghost movie after being inspired by the ending of "J'accuse" (1919).