Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
seiche

Trivia game

The "She" in question was discovered on her 1st screen test by a huge influence in her career who immediately gave her a new name and cast her in a supporting role opposite him in a film from late "30s. It is said that her "screams" were actually Fay Wray's from King Kong. Who was She and whose protege?

6's, you are making my day. Look at that face...Charles Laughton obviously was "caught up" by Maureen. He changed her name from Fitzsimmons and our scarlet maned beauty was reborn as Maureen O'Hara. The screaming of course was as Esmerelda. Your thread here as well.

Try this. The practice at the time was for "Tonight Show W/ Johnny Carson" to put reruns on Saturday nights. Johnny wanted to put these reruns on some week nights, to give him more nights off. This stand started the series of contacts and proposals that lead to Loren Michaels and the creation of the show that became SNL.

...according to allegation. hearsay, rumor, innuendo and wikipedia...

???

Thanks, finance.

I've been saving this one, trying to get on the 'describe the scene' thread. Can't get in there, so I'm putting it in this more general thread. Identify the satire from this scene:

An alert detective confronted with a bomb -- a clock wired to a bundle of dynamite. Location, on a yacht anchored in a marina. The standard question of which wire to cut.

At his companion'suggestion, he cuts the green wire. A small explosion, and his companion is blown backward into the water.

He cuts the red wire. All the lights in the marina, including all the boats, go out.

He cuts the black wire. All the lights in the city skyline behind him go out.

He runs to the rail and tosses the bomb into the water. Big explosion. Some 6 - 8 SCUBA divers float to the top, dead and belly-up.

film?

Not the Mel Brooks opus, no. I remember that the Brooks film had a trailer at the end with an advertisement for the proposed sequel. The film I have in mind also used the cliche about the older cop (partner of the one who handled the bomb) who was about to retire. At the end, their superior told them he wasn't going to accept the resignation. -- This team was too good to break up. The partners nodded to each other and both said "Sequel." and then they walked away together.

This film targets a lot of cliches for satire, but it is patterned after a series that, after the original film, has put out three sequels so far.

That's the one, Sixes. Jon Lovitz was the snitch/companion who got blown into the water at the marina, but he didn't die with the SCUBA guys. He was still alive at the end.

Sixes' thread.

Dave Fleischer's "Gulliver's Travels"...The role of Gulliver was originally written for Popeye !! (...who was very disappointed when he didn't get the part...) (Ha!)

Name at least three autobiographical films about female singers who had problems with the bottle and/or were involved with felons..

I suppose we mean "biographical" movies and not the very much rarer "autobiographical" movies (which would have to be about the director, I suppose . . .)

Yes, I'm being a smart aleck. Anyway . . .

1. *Love Me Or Leave Me* (1955) -- Doris Day as singer Ruth Etting, married to gangster James Cagney.

2. *I'll Cry Tomorrow* (1955) -- Susan Hayward as alcoholic singer Lillian Roth.

3. *Lady Sings the Blues* (1972) -- Diana Ross as drug-addicted singer Billie Holiday.

That's correct.

You can also add The Helen Morgan Story (with Ann Blyth) and maybe Funny Girl (with Barbra Streisand as Fanny Brice)

Your thread

That's correct.

You can also add The Helen Morgan Story (with Ann Blyth) and maybe Funny Girl (with Barbra Streisand as Fanny Brice)

Your thread

German-born actress Luise Ranier. Best Lead Actresses for *The Great Zigfield* (1936) and *The Good Earth* (1937).

(If this is wrong, I'm going to send a very angry Email to "Ask.Com).

These two producers produced annual Broadway revues in the '20s and '30s with their names in the titles. Who were they. and what were the titles of their revues? (I don't want Ziegfeld)

Edited by: finance on Nov 2, 2012 5:23 PM