Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
seiche

Trivia game

The father of a future pop singer was the original lead in a Rodgers and Hammerstein show. Another actor, at the beginning of his career, occasionally substituted for him in this role. The two actors? (with names as they were billed) Name of the show?

Here is an eerily similar question. The father of a future pop singer was the male lead in a

Rodgers and Hart show. Can you name him? I'll give you a hint. This show was in the 1930's. His future wife was in the show. Their daughter would become a pop singer and actress in the sixties.

Yes, Ray Heatherton played Val Lamar in "Babes In Arms" on Broadway in 1937. The song "My Funny Valentine" is sung about his character. Also in the show was a young actress named Davenie Watson. They would later marry. Their daughter's name is Davenie Johanna Heatherton, of course, better known as Joey. If you lived in New York City in the fifties and sixties, (I did not), you would be familiar with Ray Heatherton from local television where he appeared as "The Merry Mailman".

Also in the cast of "Babes In Arms" were future movie song and dance men Dan Daily and Ray McDonald. Another thing in common with finance's question about "Carousel" is that the female lead in "Babes In Arms" was played by former child star Mitzi Green. In "Carousel", the part of Carrie was played by Jean Darling, a former child actress in the "Our Gang" comedies. Your turn, lavender. Do you remember "The Merry Mailman"? And while we're feeling so merry, I want to wish everyone on the TCM message boards a Merry Christmas from merry old Miles.

I don't think Selznick fits the clues. Give me one more. (His company was not a "major" studio. It was an independent production entity.)

Edited by: finance on Dec 26, 2012 5:51 PM

Thanks.

This Oscar winning director had a tough time with 2 legendary stars on the set of an early 60's film. Both wore toupees because they were balding, and both had a rough time taking direction because of hearing problems. Both stars had hearing aids. Director, film, and the 2 legendary stars of this film ????

Yes Kid, you did think of a film that had Comanche in the plot that was an early 60's film.

*Two Rode Together* is the film. Jimmy Stewart and Richard Widmark both were balding and wore toupees and both had hearing aids. They had a difficult time hearing John Ford's directions. Good work, your thread.

The leading man for this film was not the studio's first choice.

William Holden and Marlon Brando were being considered.

The leading man was thought to have been too old and away

from the screen for too long - although on stage, and no longer

a box office attraction. The director insisted and got his man.

This film had three directors. The first couldn't get along with

two of his actors, one being the very man he insisted upon

playing the lead role. He's rumored to have punched him in

the jaw during a heated argument. The other actor (a very

famous actor playing a supporting role) called his bluff about

'tangling' with each other which resulted in this first director

leaving the project.