Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
seiche

Trivia game

Recommended Posts

On 1/23/2018 at 1:50 AM, Princess of Tap said:

 

Hint#2-- The composer of this musical wrote two big post-war musical hits on Broadway, which were subsequently made into big Hollywood Technicolor movies.

 

On 2/4/2018 at 8:50 PM, Princess of Tap said:

 

 

Hint#3-- The stars of this 1950's musical were two of the biggest musical stars of the 1940s.

The two stars were diametrically opposed to each other in terms of temperament and there was no chemistry between them in the movie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2018 at 9:08 AM, Princess of Tap said:

 

Hint #4--The two stars were diametrically opposed to each other in terms of temperament and there was no chemistry between them in the movie. 

Hint #5-- Both stars were known for musicals where they sing and dance, but one star is known primarily as a dancer and the other star is known primarily as a singer in musicals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2018 at 1:50 AM, Princess of Tap said:

 

Hint#2-- The composer of this musical wrote two big post-war musical hits on Broadway, which were subsequently made into big Hollywood Technicolor movies.

No, for April in Paris. The above Hint#2  might help you. + The composer was also the lyricist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

No, for April in Paris. The above Hint#2  might help you. + The composer was also the lyricist.

I was aware of the hint other than that the composer was also the lyricist. Many possibilities, none of which fit all of the criteria, eg Pal Joey (composer who was also lyricist, stars who did not get along, but one of them was neither a singer or a dancer). Maybe someone else will pitch in and answer the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

I was aware of the hint other than that the composer was also the lyricist. Many possibilities, none of which fit all of the criteria, eg Pal Joey (composer who was also lyricist, stars who did not get along, but one of them was neither a singer or a dancer). Maybe someone else will pitch in and answer the question.

Then--

*The dancer was one of the most famous dancers in the history of Hollywood movies.

**The singer was an offbeat comedic personality who reigned as a top star for only one decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

Is the movie Let's Dance, starring Fred Astaire and Betty Hutton, music and lyrics by Frank Loesser?

Wikiopedia says the composer was Robert Emmet Dolan. I have certainly checked what I believe to be Loesser's movies and none seem to fit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

Is the movie Let's Dance, starring Fred Astaire and Betty Hutton, music and lyrics by Frank Loesser?

Yes, yes, yes!

I think this took so long cuz nobody likes this movie.

BUT-- Let's Dance has one of Fred Astaire's most prolific and creative solos of all time, simply called the piano dance.

Maybe his frustration with the whole situation was put into this tour de force because something good had to come out of this movie!

 Fred's composer-lyricist here is the Great Frank Loesser who had the big  50s movie musical Guys and Dolls.

Word has it that Betty won  the " I can't stop crying because Fred Astaire doesn't like the way I dance Award".

I never could figure out why there was a problem with her dancing because she seemed quite able in other films, but perhaps he just intimidated her because she was such a sensitive personality?

 

Star,  take a bow and take a turn--

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

Wikiopedia says the composer was Robert Emmet Dolan. I have certainly checked what I believe to be Loesser's movies and none seem to fit.

Robert Emmett Dolan was the uncredited Music Director of Let's Dance, but the songs were by Frank Loesser.  Frank Loesser also had two big post-war Broadway musical hits that Princess of Tap mentioned in one of her hints.  They were Guys and Dolls and The Most Happy Fella.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Thenryb said:

Wikiopedia says the composer was Robert Emmet Dolan. I have certainly checked what I believe to be Loesser's movies and none seem to fit.

Every Studio had conductors and arrangers. This Robert Emmet Dolan was a Paramount music director.

Dolan was responsible for the music, but he didn't write the music or the lyrics.

The rule of thumb with any Fred Astaire musical is that the composer and Lyricist is going to be someone who is exceedingly well known in the American Musical Songbook because those are the only kind of people Fred Astaire worked with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

Robert Emmett Dolan was the uncredited Music Director of Let's Dance, but the songs were by Frank Loesser.  Frank Loesser also had two big post-war Broadway musical hits that Princess of Tap mentioned in one of her hints.  They were Guys and Dolls and The Most Happy Fella.

Aha. Poo on Wiki then. I knew Loesser had to be the composer but the other two movies you mentioned just did not fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thenryb said:

Aha. Poo on Wiki then. I knew Loesser had to be the composer but the other two movies you mentioned just did not fit.

I'm a little confused, Thenryb, because I didn't mention any other movies in my original answer other than Let's Dance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, starliteyes said:

I'm a little confused, Thenryb, because I didn't mention any other movies in my original answer other than Let's Dance.

Why are you confused? You mentioned both movies in your reply to my post. In any event, I was aware of those two movies. I just could not connect Loesser to Let's Dance.

Anyway, new rule of thumb for me. Avoid questions involving musicals:D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm excited because this is the most interest Let's Dance has ever gotten on this website.

Have any of you actually seen this movie?

 

Star is still in the wings ready to come on--

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Princess of Tap said:

I'm excited because this is the most interest Let's Dance has ever gotten on this website.

Have any of you actually seen this movie?

Lord no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This actress turned down a role that won a Best Actress Oscar for the actress who took the part.  Besides passing up a part that might have earned her a nomination or even the Oscar itself, she also missed out on playing opposite the actor who would become her future husband.

Name the two actresses, the actor and the movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a guess.  Was it Carole Lombard turning down the part of Ellie Andrews in "It Happened One Night"?  The role won an Oscar for Claudette Colbert.  Had Carole Lombard taken the part, she would have been paired with her future husband, Clark Gable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that's correct.  I had a question in another thread about this movie and I forgot to come back to this one.  Good work, Star.  You're up next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...